Saturday, October 8, 2011

Okay, I've Tried, But I Just Can't Let it Go!!!

I took my Statistics test this past week. There are two parts to every exam in this class: Computational and Conceptual.

The Computational part is the pencil and paper, show-your-work, mathematical section of the test. This is what shows the professor that I know how to do the math. The Conceptual part is on the computer, multiple choice. It's basically the part of the test that allows me to show the teacher that I know what everything means.

I hate math. I think I've expressed this many times before, and in different contexts. However, this statistics class really hasn't been horrible. The only math that's been required is pretty basic, and I can do basic math. Even better? The professor doesn't expect us to memorize any of the formulas. He just gives us a packet to take into the test with us that actually gives us the appropriate mathematical formulas.

Doing all of the practice work for this section of the class, I did pretty well. I could usually come up with the right answer. However, when I went in to take the exam, my confidence evaporated when I came to Question #3 on the Computational part of the test.

There were 5 questions on this section of the exam. All of them had multiple parts within the question. Because of this, Question #3 was worth 30 POINTS. Yes, you read that right 30 FREAKING POINTS!!!

I'd done this particular computation several times before in the homework. And as I said before, I always came up with the correct answer. The formula was kind of hairy, but I always did it right. Unfortunately, for this particular concept, there are actually TWO FORMULAS. I'd only practiced ONE of these formulas. My professor had told us that he would be looking for the second of these two formulas on the test, but no matter where I looked in the book, I couldn't find it. So I never practiced it. I figured that since the professor would be giving us the formulas to use in the test, that I would be able to figure it out.

I was wrong.

I came to Question #3, and did the first 3 parts of the question without any problems. Then I came to the part where I would have to use this "other formula". And can I just tell you, IT THREW ME FOR A FREAKING LOOP!!! It's like my brain just shut down, refusing to comprehend the letters and numbers in front of me.

Oh I tried. I literally spent an HOUR on this one question, doing it over and over and OVER again. I tried the formula in a number of different ways, and no matter what I tried, I could only come up with numbers that COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE THE RIGHT ANSWER!!!

Finally I just gave up and moved on to the rest of the computational test. It went well, but I just HAD to go back and try Question #3 one more time before abandoning a huge chunk of that 30 points. I still came up with a crap answer, but by that time I had been in the test for an hour and a half and I had a baby to get home to, and the second half of the test to take. So I just submitted it as it was and kissed those points goodbye. I hate walking away from something like that, I knew it would haunt me for days, if not weeks.

I took the second part of the exam, and when it was over I trudged through the rain to the on campus shuttle that would take me to my van. Wet and cold, I started the half hour drive that would take me home to AJ, relieving my dear Mom from the duty of babysitting her.

It was when I was well on my way home, and it was FAAARRRR too late to fix anything, that the right way to solve that b***h of a Question #3 finally popped into my head! It was SO SIMPLE!!! I wanted to bang my forehead on the steering wheel. I spent the rest of the drive yelling out loud, verbally berating myself for making something so simple a thousand times harder than it had to be.

I ranted to Ty about it after I got home that day and he called me from work. (Telling me in the process that he got the promotion he had been waiting for! Yay for Ty!)

Ty, always the voice of reason, told me that I just needed to let it go. That beating myself up wasn't going to change the past. That I would do better next time. I knew he was right, and I want to let it go, but I JUST FREAKING CAN'T!!! I HAD the answer, I KNEW how to do the problem, but I just couldn't get past the unfamiliar formula and allowed myself to stand in my own way and overcomplicate the whole thing.

AAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!! It's been 3 days and I still can't let this go! It was such a stupid mistake, and it's going to completely destroy my grade for that test!!! It sucks, plain and simple! Grrrr...

Okay, I'm going to go eat some cookies now. I've gotten all upset again.

13 comments:

  1. Grrrr....

    Yeah, that does sound pretty frustrating. Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Candice. I hate it when I realize how simple something was later. I hope your cookies helped and I hope it doesn't hurt your grade as much as you think. But, in the long run, you will overcome. It's what us awesome blogger types do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep breath in and out and try to let it go. That sort of thing happens to me all the time and it does drive you crazy. I'm sure you have done well in the rest of the test.
    Hugs for you sweet lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. A student once told me, "I know the answer, I just can't remember it right now." How true it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryan: Let's hope so! My grade can't survive another screw up like that!

    Charlie: Thanks for the sympathy. The cookies did help a little. How could they not, right? :)

    I think it will completely screw up my grade for this test, but as you say, being the awesome blogger type that I am, I shall overcome!

    Mynx: *Deep Inhale* *Deep Exhale* Sigh...

    Okay, I feel a bit better now. Mainly because I took the opportunity to rant about it here in the happy place known as the blogosphere.

    It's good to know I'm not the only blank-out victim. It is very exasperating, though.

    Thanks for the hugs, by the way. :)

    Brent: How very wise your student is. Knowing the answer and not being able to recall it when you need to is FAR more upsetting than not knowing it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it just bloody frustrating when things like that happen we have all had moments when we have just blanked out only to have it come to us at a later time........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo-Anne: It is extremely frustrating. I just don't get why crap like this has to happen. It really sucks. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there any way that you'll get partial credit for the equation? I'm a bit of a dweller on these things too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get partial credit if we do the work properly, even if we don't get the right answer. Unfortunately, I didn't do it correctly from the beginning. At all. That's what I'm so upset about. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ::psst:: It's your blog. You can cuss if you want to. Especially about math.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doug: Thanks for the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I totally get this. I'll beat myself up for weeks about a question-- BUT I KNEW THE ANSWER! Trust me, you don't want to wind up as a crazy person like me-- try to let that bloody question go. It's just stupid math...and math is VERY stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicki: I'm afraid I crossed the "crazy person" line years ago. It was a tragic day, but it was inevitable I suppose...

    I agree. Math is VERY stupid. It's suck-tacular.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)