Thursday, October 13, 2011

Someone Save Me From My Own Anxiety!!!

I'm freaking out.

No, it's not the Statistics Test I was ranting about the other day. I actually talked to my professor about the big screw-up I made, and it turns out that I was closer to the right solution than I thought. I just missed a step. Luckily, he gives credit for the parts of the question you get right, so I just might not have TOTALLY screwed up on that one.

What I am freaking out about is my son. Yes, CT is pretty much at the forefront of my thoughts these days, and every time I think about his situation my heart starts going a mile a minute.

Most of you know by now that CT is in First Grade. You may also know that he is a very VERY intelligent boy. He has always been leaps and bounds ahead of his peers in mental maturity. He learns things quickly and effortlessly, it's like breathing for him. He doesn't even have to try to learn something, he just picks it up instantly. He has always amazed me, and everyone he's ever met. He makes friends with kids of all ages, both younger and older than himself. And by older than himself, I mean teenagers and adults. He's a natural leader, kids just seem to congregate around him, and he loves being around people. He's curious and inquisitive, always asking questions and wanting to know more about things. All in all, he's an incredible kid.

So why am I so anxious and upset, you ask? Well, I'll tell you as well as I can.

CT, although extremely bright, also seems to be a bit of a troublemaker in class. He talks to his friends, gets up out of his seat without permission, and just generally makes his teacher's life very difficult. At least, that's what she's been telling us since school started back in August.

His teacher has actually had the school psychologist come and observe CT in class, monitoring his behavior. The psychologist sent home an evaluation for Ty and me to fill out, to test for ADHD, at his teacher's request. The way these evaluations work is that the child's parents fill one out, and his teacher fills one out. Then the two sets of data are analyzed and set against national statistics and standards. Combining this information with her in-class observations, the school psychologist has come up with a definitive conclusion:

CT does NOT have ADHD. In fact, in all of the times that she has observed CT in class, this psychologist has never once seen any kind of behavior that she would consider to be a serious problem. She says that he does show some very active tendencies, but that he is very able to focus on his work. He actually does his work very quickly, and moves on to the next step before the teacher has even finished talking the other kids through the first step. This, according to the psychologist's observations, causes a great deal of frustration in CT's teacher. CT starts acting up during these times when he's finished the work, and is being forced to wait for the other kids to catch up.

The thing that has me the most anxious, however, is the fact that CT's teacher seems to resent him, deeply. I noticed this after CT had been in her class for no more than one week. He's giving her a hard time, and she has completely written him off as a troublemaker and a "bad kid". She won't listen to me when I try to tell her that this is not the case. CT is not, nor has he ever been, the type of kid that seeks after negative attention. Whenever I try to talk to her about my son and the type of kid I know he is, she just shakes her head and dismisses my comments without a second thought. Her mind is made up, CT is down in her book as a bad kid, and she will take that negative perception to her grave.

The psychologist has noticed this too. She actually told us that CT's teacher's responses on the ADHD evaluation are negative. In fact, her responses are so deeply negative, that her results are not considered to be valid.

The psychologist and I have both tried to explain to this teacher that CT's behavior is linked to boredom, but she won't listen to either of us. She bristled at our comments, and immediately dismissed them. To me, she said: "There is no reason why he should be bored in this class. He needs to get engaged and find interest." She had a similar reaction to the psychologist's recommendations. Her opinion of my son is fixed, immovable, and extremely negative.

Now you can see what I'm so anxious about. Sending CT to school is basically sending him into a dragon's den of negativity. It's become a toxic environment for him. Have you ever heard of self-fulfilling prophecy? A child is going to live up to the expectations that we as adults are setting for them. If CT's teacher believes he is a bad kid, he will eventually become that kid. Ty and I have no intention of allowing that to happen.

We have set up an appointment with the school's principal for tomorrow afternoon. We are going to present our case to her, and get CT removed from this teacher's classroom. He deserves the chance to be in a positive learning environment. We are also going to ask her about testing him for a gifted and talented program, one that will be more challenging and engaging for him. If he qualifies, we will probably go that route.

Anyway, I hope you don't think I'm trying to make his teacher into a villain. I know she's doing the best she can, I just don't think that she is a good match for my son. Their personalities clash too much, and they have since day one.

Everyone, please send positive thoughts our way so we can get CT into a situation where he can learn and be seen for the great kid that he really is.

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

Have a nice day.

10 comments:

  1. You want me and a couple of my boys to maybe go see this teacher for you? I am in the Chicago area.
    Sounds like they should move him up a grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George: LOL! :)

    Thanks, but I don't think that will be necessary. She's really not a bad teacher, and I know that Caden has some things that he needs to work on (handling boredom being one of them). She's just not a good fit for him personality-wise. It happens. I'm just frustrated with the whole thing.

    I don't know what their policy is for skipping grades, but I agree that Caden needs something more challenging to keep him engaged in school. Hopefully our meeting with the principal will go well, and she'll have a few ideas to help him.

    PS: If you and your boys want to come and visit a few of the people on my "jerk-wad" list, I'll be happy to give you their names and addresses.

    PPS: I LOVE Chicago! It's one of my most favorite places in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it's been such a rough year. I'm proud of you for "sticking to your guns" about Caden. No one knows him better than you. Caden certainly is a smart little whip. I'm sad he may be leaving Ashley's class, but I completely understand in that kind of situation. I'm hoping the meeting with the principal goes well and that all things will be resolved quickly and all for the better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi: Thanks so much for the support. It's been tough, especially on Caden (and his teacher!) But we've hopefully got things resolved to the point where he can move forward and make the improvements that he needs to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar problem earlier this year with my son's English teacher. She just couldnt motivate him to get his work in on time and he nearly failed. He is clever enough. She was just inexperienced and after working with her and the school we got it sorted. Hopefully you can get him into a G&T class which will challenge him

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mynx: It's definitely difficult for a teacher to motivate a child that she doesn't get along with. I'll still keep my eyes open and see if Caden shows some G & T capabilities. He's definitely very smart, but a G & T program would definitely be a REALLY big change for him. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! I love gifted kids! I was a gifted kid and now I'm getting my master's in gifted education and it's awesome! I sincerely hope that you can find a program that supports Caden's unique learning needs. Deep breath Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenna: Thanks. :)

    I'd like to have him tested for giftedness, but I'd like for him to first learn how to control some of his more active tendencies first. We'll see how he does in this new class with his new teacher.

    You're going through a master's in gifted education? That's so awesome! Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candice, I really and truly admire you. Here's why:

    -You took action and got a psychologist (a professional and neutral party) in on this;
    -You are actively concerned about your child's education;
    -You're taking further action by going to the principal (a hard step, but so worth it!);
    -But most of all, you're trying really hard to treat the teacher fairly instead of vilifying her(and girl, it's your blog, you can vilify away if you want to). A child that disrupts the learning process would be stressful as a teacher, so I get that...but that doesn't mean this is a good situation for Caden. It would be so easy to write her off the way she wrote off Caden. I really respect you, Candice.

    P.S. I'm with Ms. Jenna-- I was a gifted kid, and without my gifted education I would have been an absolute TERROR in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicki: I'm flattered. :)

    Tyler and I really do want very much to be as involved in the education of our kids as possible. We both realize that teaching is a challenging job, and we've never wanted to be those obnoxious, entitled parents who blame the teacher for everything that goes wrong in the classroom. We know that Caden has some problems, but he definitely isn't as bad as she seemed to believe he was.

    Either way, we've had him moved to a new classroom. His new teacher is really nice, but she has high standards, and I believe that's a good situation for Caden to be placed in. We'll see how he does over the next few months.

    PS: Testing him for giftedness is certainly not off the table, but I want to see how he does with this new teacher first. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)