Hi Everybody! (Said in Dr. Nick's voice from "The Simpsons")
I haven't been around too much since my last rant, and I apologize for that. Life does happen, though. I had two tests this last week, not to mention the fact that CT AND Ty have been off school/work for a nice, long weekend. Oh, and I've been considering a change in schools/majors.
Yes. You read that right. I'm considering yet ANOTHER change in majors. I should seriously commit myself to a mental ward somewhere, because there is CLEARLY something wrong with me.
I mean, I finally settled into the Psychology program with a minor in Communications, and now I'm looking at a challenging shift that will not only change my whole course of study, it will also force me to transfer to a completely different university because the one I'm currently attending doesn't offer anything even remotely resembling this program.
What am I considering turning my whole life upside down over, you ask? It's called "Communication Sciences and Disorders". Basically, it's a perfect, practical combination of my two current courses of study. It's just a more specific, scientific approach.
This program would be preparatory for me to go on to a Master's Degree in Speech and Language Pathology. This would allow me the chance to work with people who have speech and communication problems, helping them to recover from injury, overcome stuttering, correct their speech, and so many other fascinating, amazing things. It sounds like such a rewarding, incredible line of work!
I came across this option completely by accident. I was looking for a Master's degree program in Communication at a different University, but I couldn't find one. So I typed into their search engine "Communications". It came up with this Communication Sciences and Disorders option. I read about it, and was instantly drawn in by the possibilities. Then I found the same program offered at a school that's closer to where I live.
If I were to change schools and start this program, it would only take me one semester longer than it would take me to finish the degree I'm currently working on. My only real problem is deciding that this huge shake-up is what I REALLY want to do. Is it? IS IT?!?!?!? I don't know either! GAAAHHHH!!!
Anyway, here's a funny video clip with a ninja (It's a few years old, but it's one of my all-time, personal favorite YouTube videos. And it's just as true today as it was when it was first posted. Enjoy!) :)
Sounds like you found a niche'. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your schooling. The new major sounds really interesting.
ReplyDeleteI could never decide on a major, so I still haven't gone back for my bachelors. When I do finally decided, I will be one of those 70 year old retiree hobby students. Oh well.
Bryan: It does sound amazing. I just hope I'll be able to make my final decision before too much time and credit hours are completely wasted! :)
ReplyDeleteVanyelmoon: Thanks. It does sound really great, doesn't it?
I feel your indecisive pain. Don't feel bad about never being able to decide. Whenever you do go back, (and I really hope you will), you won't be alone, I'm sure. :)
It took me a very long time to decide on a major but I finally ended up with a degree in Communications and English with a concentration in mass media and creative writing. It means I work in retail for a living.
ReplyDeleteBut still...
Good luck with your studies!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteM.J.: Yeah, it is NOT easy to whittle down my very WIDE range of interests to just one area of study. One of my MANY flaws: indecisiveness. At least, I think it is. :)
ReplyDeleteRetail rocks. As long as you're enjoying the work, that's all that matters, right?
Honestly, Candice? It sounds AMAZING for you. That would be so amazingly cool, and it ties in perfectly to what you're after. Think it over, mull it over, make lists or do whatever your normal decision making process is (mine usually involves a hot bath and pages of illegible journal scribbles), and let us know! I'm rooting for you!
ReplyDeleteNicki: It would really be incredible to do that kind of work. My sister's little boy actually goes to a speech and language pathologist. I've asked my sister to get me in touch with this lady so I can talk to her a bit about what she does. It might help me make a final decision, but I'm definitely leaning toward a "yes". We'll see. Thanks for the encouragement. :)
ReplyDeleteI would say, "Awesome. That degree sounds pretty spiffy," but by the time this comment cleared moderation you would probably have reconsidered reconsidering changing your major. Again. :)
ReplyDeleteAway fire! Shot best your with me hit.
Doug: I would say, "You're a big, fat jerk and I hope you die in flames," but I have to admit that your dig was well-aimed and quite accurate. I'm driving myself crazy with this crap, and I REALLY need to commit to something before I waste too much time, money, and credit hours.
ReplyDeletePS: I didn't know you spoke Yoda-ese! Most impressed I am. :)