That's right, I finally got the nook from Barnes and Noble! It's totally amazing! Yes, I agonized for MONTHS over whether I should get the well-loved Kindle from Amazon, or the nook. I had tried the nook and liked it, but I couldn't find anyone close by who onwed and Kindle that I could try before making my decision.
Then, one night at Best Buy, I found that they had an entire eReader display, complete with Kindle and nook side by side. Having done a LOT of research, and knowing full well that both devices are extremely similar in reference to quality, I tried them both. The Kindle is really nice, but the nook just seemed to fit me better. In the end, the choice between the nook and the Kindle comes down to personal preference, and I prefer the former.
Well, I put the device on my Christmas list, and got over $100 in gift cards from loving family members. Then, on New Year's Day, my husband came home and said: "I called your family, and they've agreed to babysit tonight while we go out to dinner and a movie. Plan on a night out."
Needless to say I needed no second invitation. Before I knew it, the kids were all ready to go to their Grandma's house, and Tyler and I were on our way to a rare and valuable date night. As we drove toward the restaurant, Tyler said: "We can look at the nook too while we're out, so you can decide if you want it or not." (I'd been having second thoughts about the device, worried that it was the end of paper books as I'd always known and loved them. The idea upset me. Don't laugh!)
We pulled up to the restaurant, put our name on the list, and were told that it would be a 45 minute wait. I told Tyler and he said: "That's perfect. We'll run over to Barnes and Noble, you can look at the nook and make a final decision about it over dinner." We went, and I looked at the device. It really is amazing. I even looked at the new nook Color (it's basically a VERY simplified iPad. You know: e-mail, internet, it even reads to your kids for you--no joke!)
We went to dinner, got right in, and I mulled over my decision while we ate. Afterwards, we had about an hour to kill before the movie, and we went back to the bookstore for me to make my final verdict.
It took a lot of thought, but in the end, I knew I wanted it. So I brought Tyler my final decision. He smiled, said: "Good, I'm glad you finally decided to do something nice for yourself," and then surprised me by paying for the whole thing himself, encouraging me to use my gift cards to stock up on e-books.
You know what? I haven't regretted buying my nook for a second. As you can probably see from the pictures, I decided not to get the nook Color. (Although I still have the option to take mine back and get the upgrade for the next 3 days--if I should decide to do so)
And...just because I can...here's some more pictures:
This is a picture of my chosen wallpaper...a tulip!
Look! It's Edgar Allen Poe and his Raven!
(When my nook goes to sleep, the screensaver is a different author every time...) 

Well, there you have it. I hope you're not disappointed. My only problem right now is coming up with a name for my nook. Any suggestions?




I wouldn't have noticed anything odd about this layout if you hadn't said anything. As a matter of fact, I still don't see a problem with it. But if it's not the way you wanted it, you can complain. It works, I didn't get lost while reading it. I'm glad to see you back.
ReplyDeleteGeorge: Thanks for the encouragement. I guess there's not TOO much that's all that wrong with it, it was just frustrating trying to fix the formatting over and over again and only watching it get worse. Sigh...oh well. I guess you can't win them all. :)
ReplyDeleteI always read in order so I didn't read the rant yet because I'm entirely too OCD to mess up a time line. However, since I haven't read the rant, I can tell you that I don't see anything wrong with how you did it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I was guessing you got a Kindle. Mild disappointment for Rosebud, who was hoping for a linked through the interwebz e-reading sister, but I guess the Nook is like a cousin, so Rosebud shall not be sad for long. Also, my Cousin 'Manda has a Nook and she never stops raving about the awesomeness of it. Me? I love Rosebud, but to each his own.
And that was totally sweet of your Husband to do! What was the FIRST book you bought?
Hmmm...I'm pretty sure the first book I bought was "Jane Eyre", which is far and away my most favorite book EVER!!! A close second and third were the Complete Works of Jane Austen, and "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (Wierd name, FABULOUS book!) And I have barely begun my crazed shopping spree!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, my Nook is totally thrilled about her lovely cousin Rosebud. I still need to figure out a name for the Nook, though. Any suggestions?
Aw, my first one was Little Women, according to my Kindle. Or it was the first one that finished downloading. I <3 classic literature!
ReplyDeleteName...name...presumably female (since you did say her)...Did you want something clever? Ironic? Intimidating? Fabulous?
Chanel: I LOVE classic literature too!!! It's the best!
ReplyDeleteThe name would just need to be something simple, but clever. I'm still drawing a blank here...
How about naming her after your all time favorite character? Or a name from your favorite song? My friend Sarah named her Kindle "Grendel" because she loves Beowulf. "Pink Lady" was very nearly "Katy Scarlett" because of my love for "Gone with the Wind."
ReplyDeleteAnd didn't Nikki over at the Loaded Handbag name her Chekhov after the author?
You could name her "Jane" because you love Jane Eyre. Or "Eyree" if you didn't want it to be so obvious. Or Charlotte because she wrote it. Or "Currer Bell" because that was the pseudonym she first wrote "Jane Eyre" under. Or "Lancashire" which was where she went to school. Any of them? Am I headed in the right direction?
Chanel: Those are all good ideas, but I think I've finally decided: Charlee Jane. "Charlee" for two of my favorite authors Charles Dickens and Charlotte Bronte. "Jane" for--obviously--Jane Eyre and Jane Austen. What do you think? I was rather proud of it. :)
ReplyDeleteOne more question though: What do you think is the most feminine way to spell "Charlee"? Charlee? Charly? or Charley? I'm thinking the two ee's myself...