Monday, February 2, 2015

To Those Who Incurred My Wrath Yesterday...

**Begin Rant**

First of all, I want you to know that I've never had anything against you personally. I really don't know anything about you, except your names. If anything, I have always been completely neutral in my attitude toward you. But yesterday, my neutrality shifted.

That lesson was really well done. It was well organized and I could tell that Kami put a lot of work into it. She had a lot of information to give, and she really knows what she's talking about. People were asking questions and making helpful comments, and that lesson would have been quite successful, if it hadn't been for you. 

Yes, I mean you. You 4 or 5 women who sat in a little clump and held your own private conversation throughout the entire lesson. You weren't even trying to be subtle about it. You didn't even whisper. In fact, when your conversation became a persistent buzz, Kami tried to talk over you, and you just got louder! You women, who are my age and older, and who should really know better than to display such a blatant lack of common courtesy! Even if you were talking to each other about the lesson, why in the world could you not wait until after the lesson was over? Or, if it was that urgent, why didn't you go out into the hallway? There were people who actually wanted to listen to the lesson. And don't think Kami didn't notice what you were doing. I saw her glance in your direction more than once. She seemed to be pretty disheartened and flustered by your behavior. I was so close to turning around and openly "shushing" you, had I not been worried that such an act would have embarrassed Kami. So I kept my silence. 

I said nothing, until I got to my mom's house for dinner and ranted about it to my mom and my sister. And then I came home and ranted about it to my husband. And now I'm ranting in a blog post, which I know full well that none of you will read, because you don't have the link to my blog. Consider this to be one of those letters that people write and never send to the person (or persons) in question. It's just a way for me to get my feelings down into words so I can move on. 

I would just like to say this: Had I been the instructor, I would have not hesitated to pull one of 3 classic moves: 1) I would have stopped talking, and stared pointedly in your direction until you noticed and shut your face holes, 2) I would have called one of you by name, and asked if you had comments that you wanted to share with the class, and 3) I would have asked you to take your conversation out into the hallway. Sounds like high school, right? Well, apparently you all got caught up in some sort of "inconsiderate high school girl vortex" and only those high school teacher tactics would have had a chance of being effective. 

I'm hoping that this was a one time occurrence, and that next week will be better for everyone. In fact, my hopes are pretty high because this is the first time that this has been a real problem. Oh sure, some people will get caught up in little conversations, or make comments to each other during the lesson, but they are usually whispered and brief. We're not perfect, no one is. But let's try a bit harder to keep it down from now on, shall we? I can't guarantee that I will be able to hold my silence if it happens again. No one wants that, right? Of course not. Thanks for understanding. 

**End Rant**

9 comments:

  1. FYI: I read that first paragraph in Liam Neeson's voice and it was freaking AWESOME. Maybe if they don't stop you can just hire him to come in and scare the crap out of them?

    I hate people that talk during anything, and maybe I'm just brazen, but I'm not afraid to say it. To paraphrase another great Bryan (Bryan Mills, from Taken):

    I don't know who you are. I don't know why you won't stop talking. If you are looking for answers, I can tell you I don't have any. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills as an insult comic, skills I have acquired over a very long career in comedy. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you shut up now, that'll be the end of it. I will not call you out loudly, and I will not point out your flaws in public. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. Verbally, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY CRAP!!! I just went back and re-read it with Liam Neeson's voice in mind and it totally worked! I've never felt more cool!

      You should come to our next lesson, and then when people are being jerk faces you can call them out in a way that would humiliate them and leave me in stitches! Win-Win-Win!!!

      I don't think I could ever kill someone verbally. When I'm flustered and angry like that, verbal communication is not one of my strengths. I could write their faces off, though. I would leave them in a shame puddle of words a mile wide.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, if writing is your strength, then follow them out next time, mentally mark down their cars, and then leave them a well written but scornful note underneath their windshield wiper for next time?

      Pro tip: channel Liam Neeson like you did in that first paragraph and those jerks will never talk during a lesson again, guaranteed.

      Delete
    3. That is an excellent idea! Watch out, people! The pen truly is mightier than the sword!

      Delete
    4. Got to admit, reading it in Liam Neeson's voice does make it seem like those women are in a lot deeper trouble.

      Delete
    5. I know, right? It makes me sound like some kind of stone cold killer!

      Delete
  2. What.... 4 or 5 women sat in a little clump and held their own private conversation throughout the entire lesson a blatant lack of common courtesy! - and the teacher didn't snap? Like I would? Like I will tomorrow? No? NOOOOOOOOOO?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay.
    Wait, I never snap. Everyone is quiet when I share my inner-thoughts of wisdom. I give them this special look and they are like puddy in my hands. Just saying. I also one lifted this table high up in the air and dropped it in front of me. They were so quiet after I showed them that trick. I didn't even have to say a word. It worked like a charm. Odd huh? Weird even.
    I like your classic moves. Here's one of mine:
    "Are you a man?"
    "Yes."
    "Are you sure?"
    (people laughing)
    "Yes."
    "Then quit acting like a kid."
    (silence)

    Did I mention I love your rant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! That is a good one. I've never seen it in action before, but it sounds as though it would be quite effective. I imagine that you, having the job that you have, would need to keep a quiver full of those kinds of tactics to instill order when people decide that common courtesy is not something that applies to them.

      I'm glad you enjoyed my rant. I'm sure there will be many more in the future.

      Delete
    2. I just stop talking. and stare at them. That's all it takes.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)