Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015?!?!? Eh. Bring it on...

Well, I'm sure I'm not alone in my current state of shock. How in the world did 2015 get here so fast?

Sigh...Well I guess we'd better get on with it, right?

How was Christmas, you ask? It was good. Ty was sick the whole time, poor guy. But the chiddlers and I managed to get through the holidays unscathed. Well, mostly. I say I got through the holidays, but now that they're over, I'm starting to ail a bit. Sore throat, stuffy nose, all that fun stuff. Blah. I guess it's best that it happens now, rather than when I start going back to school in a week and a half. I'm doing what I can to help keep this thing from becoming too serious, but even with all of my tried and true methods, I'm still definitely under the weather. It sucks, but as I say, we'll get through it. I may be a bit cranky about it for a few days, but at least none of you have to listen to my whining. (You just get to read it. Ha!)

Good news! I got through both of my classes with A's, so apparently being sleep-deprived on Finals Day isn't always disastrous, though I wouldn't want to do it that way again. It was a very long day, and I haven't felt that crappy in a LONG time.

Okay, random comments:

Ty and I have recently been watching "The A-Team" on Netflix. It's been fun. I never watched it when it was actually on TV, so I've enjoyed taking that little trip down 1980's Memory Lane. Or at least I did for a while. We made it through the first season, and part way through the 2nd, when we could no longer ignore the fact that we were basically watching the exact same episode. Over and over and over and over again.

Someone's in trouble. They find the A-Team and hire them (usually for a lot less money than the A-Team normally charges for their services, but the prospective client's sob story is so very pitiful that Hannibal and his gang are always won over and agree to do the work anyway.) The MP's whine and moan about how much they want to catch the A-Team. They chase them down for a while, and flip at least 3 cars in the process.

The A-Team goes to some small, podonk town where they discover how the locals are being bullied and downtrodden by some egomaniac with a bunch of hired thugs and WAY too many guns at their disposal. Oh and a helicopter. There is ALWAYS a helicopter.

Hannibal goes in and challenges the Bad Guy Leader with some snarky comments, which starts a big fist fight. At first, things don't go so well, until B.A. comes busting through the door and starts throwing his bejeweled fists into people's faces. Once they've K.O.'ed all the bad guys, they head to the client's modest home, where there is always some pretty young woman who immediately starts exchanging googly eyes with Face. (They'll have made out at least once before the end of the episode.)

After a few gun fights with the Bad Guys, the A-Team hunkers down in some barn or warehouse, where they never fail to find absolutely everything that they could possibly need for the final showdown. Dynamite, corrugated steel, some sort of vehicle that they can cut apart and turn into an armored car, endless amounts of ammo, acetyline torches, and all the welding/soldering tools that B.A. could use in his lifetime.

The final showdown consists of the bad guys shooting their guns at the A-Team, never hitting anything. I think these guys are even worse than the infamously incompetent Storm Troopers. There are a lot of explosions. It's almost as though the Bad Guys' cars are made to explode, as all the A-Team really has to do is cough near those cars and they'll blow up in a spectacular display of fire and burning car. Once the showdown is over, the A-Team ties up the Bad Guys, and turns them over to the townspeople, who are suddenly capable of handling things on their own. Then the sound of sirens, and the A-Team looks down the road to see the MP's heading up the road. They promptly run to the ever-accessible helicopter, and Murdoch flies them to safety, as Hannibal chews on his ever-present cigar and taunts the MP's with another quippy insult. The MP's shake their fists at the A-Team. Then Hannibal sits back in his helicopter seat and says, "I love it when a plan comes together."

~Fin~

How did I do? Sound familiar? I've actually decided to compose a list. I shall call it:

"The 9 Always of the A-Team."

1) The Bad Guys are always going to be dumber than any member of the A-Team.
2) There is always a young woman somewhere for Face to...well...womanize.
3) B.A. always punches harder than any Bad Guy. Ever.
4)There is always a helicopter somewhere close by. Always.
5) Hannibal will always charge into a situation, head first, making all of his friends doubt him, but no matter how crazy the plan might seem, that plan will always come together. (If it didn't, he couldn't say his catch phrase!)
6) You will always see at least 5 flipped cars in each episode.
7) The MP's will always be about 3 steps behind the A-Team. Even when it seems they have caught them, don't worry, they haven't.
8) Murdoch will always come through, even when he thinks his sock is a talking dog, his contributions are always vital to success. Somehow.
9) Despite the fact that half of whatever small town they are in gets destroyed, the locals are always going to look with reverence at the A-Team and thank them for it.
10) You are always going to wonder how Hannibal's teeth manage to stay so white, when he smokes about 80 cigars a day.

Okay, random ramblings are over for now. There's a certain 5-year-old who needs to get to bed. And then I'm thinking I'll follow her example. I'm starting to feel pretty crappy. Stupid cold and flu season! Boo!

10 comments:

  1. How in the world did 2015 get here so fast? It took a high speed cab, is how. Just to spite us. Hey, don't get ill! I don't mind listening to (I mean, reading about) your (quote) "whining" (unquote), but it may be a good idea to stay as fit as a priest on Monday. Yep.

    You got a second A? Unbelievable! I mean, yeah, I expected that because you're smart and fit and all. Congrats are in order. Here they come: congrats!!!!

    The B-Team... I remember those days. I still don't know why Hannibal had a certain fetishy predilection for leather gloves. Watching the B-Team is like teaching English: it's the same episode again and again. Good thing I teach Chinese. I wish. That way I'd be a millionaire in no time, buy half of Bora Bora (so basically Bora), dub it Blue Bora and invite all of you to my new crib. Maybe this year, right? Maybe not. I would buy my own helicopter, you bet. There should ALWAYS be a helicopter. No explosions. None whatsoever. And don't sneeze or it might explode just for the fun of it.

    How did you do? You did great. I now suspect that you where their technical advisor / script wizard. No? Well, you could've fooled me. Isn't it strange how cars tend to flip right nearby some exploding bushes? Dangerous stuff, those bushes. My Momma always said: "Steer clear of dark bushes, son!" Mmm that sounds scary - delete delete - but then again, I'm no technical advisor / script wizard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, considering the fact that I was born in the early 80s, I'm pretty sure that my abilities as a script wizard would have been pretty limited...but sure. It was me. Where are my royalty checks?

      Ah yes, those cars did always manage to flip close to some sort of explosion, didn't they? Very fishy...

      Blue Bora? Sounds nice. I'm in. But I had no idea that teaching Chinese was such a gold mine! Clearly I'm in the wrong major!

      Delete
    2. Your royalty checks... Good question. Yes, and the explosion always occurred behind some bushes. Very fishy.

      Haha of course it is. Don't you now that all of us will be speaking Chinese in the year 2025? No? Good.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the As! Make it three, because you just got an A in A-Team trivia. I barely remember that show, but I do remember that they had a pretty killer van. The kind of van I might actually drive.

    Fun fact: my dad met Mr. T once, during the 80s, at the mall. And he was severely disappointed. I guess the TV does a great job of making Mr. T look like a giant when he was actually an inch shorter than my dad (my dad is 5'9). I pity the fool that literally looks down on Mr. T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that that van is the only reason that show managed to go on for 5 seasons. Power to the van!

      What? So, Mr. T is about 5'8"? That's crazy! I can't look at him the same anymore. My life is a lie!

      Thanks for the 3rd A, by the way. I'll just add it to my collection... :)

      Delete
    2. Could you imagine showing up to your kids' school in that van? The kids would be embarrassed out of their minds, the children of the 80s would be in awe, and the manly men would think you were out-of-this-world cool. That's like the parent trifecta right there.

      It's true, Mr. T is probably about 5'8, even though all of his old tv shows/movies make him look like a 6 foot+ monster. His Wikipedia says 5'10*, but that's incredibly generous. Just like it says that Tom Cruise is 5'8 when really that guy's lucky if he's 5'6 on tip toes.

      *Dear Mr. T - your mohawk doesn't count toward your overall height.

      Delete
    3. You, Sir, certainly seem to have an excellent grasp of what it takes to be a parent. Embarrass your kids while making other kids wish you were THEIR parent. And if you have to drive a van around, make it the coolest van EVER!

      Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 'hawk is exactly how he made up for what he lacks in height. Nice try, Fool!

      Delete
  3. I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

    *cue shiver down your spine*

    So...2015. Where did it come from?

    Note: The world seems to move faster after 23. The last couple of years? Dunno where they went.

    I'm sorry you're not feeling so great. Cold symptoms suck, but if you're Phoebe from friends, then you might find the sound of stuffed up voices appealing and make the best of it.

    You have pretty much cured me of any desire to ever watch the A Team. I didn't have the desire before, but you have cured it before curiosity forced me to seek it.

    My recent revisiting of my childhood? I'm rewatching Little House on the Prairie, starting with the Pilot Movie. Padawan bought me Season One and Two for Christmas. The episodes are not all the same, which makes me happy!

    So good to know you're still here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've said this on your blog, but I'd like to say it here as well: I'm SO glad to see you! Don't go disappearing again or we'll have to track you down, me and my friends Jocko and Knuckles.

      Friends! Ty and I have been watching that on Netflix! There is so much joy in watching it. Love that show!

      Oooh! Little House on the Prairie! I've never watched the show, but my daughter got the boxed set of books for Christmas, and we've been reading them at bedtime. Yay for books! :)

      Delete
    2. I never really watched it. It's like Seinfeld: I've seen a few episodes so I know the main characters, and I remember a few things that stuck out. Like when Phoebe got a cold and thought it made her singing voice super sexy. Ridiculous.

      Yes, I loved the books growing up! I still love them, come to think of it. Nellie Olson...love her or hate her, you know you'd miss her if she was gone.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)