So, I'm kind of freaking out. School starts for me in just over two weeks. I will be starting a challenging and competitive program. It's going to be tough, and I'm half terrified. I think I'm scared mainly because I'm heading into a big Unknown.
I'm transferring to a new school. One of the best Universities in the Western United States. I've been going to a University that's great, but the standards for excellence between these two Universities is so very, very different. It's a step up, and I'm just not sure I'm ready for that yet.
Not only will I be going to this new school and trying to get used to the atmosphere there, I will be starting a new, very specific program. The whole point of this Bachelor's Degree is to prepare me for the EXTREMELY intensive Master's Degree program that will turn me into a licensed Speech and Language Pathologist.
Oh, AND I'm going to be doing all of this while still trying to be a good mom to my two kids, and a good wife to my poor husband, who has already resigned himself to the fact that his wife will basically be a complete lunatic for the next 6 years.
Yes, you read that right. Six. Years.
Normally, this whole thing--Bachelor's Degree through Master's Degree--only takes 4 years once your generals are done. My generals are done, but in the interest of maintaining some semblance of sanity AND keeping my grades up to my usual standard, I've decided to only go part-time until I finish my Bachelor's degree. At that point, AJ will be entering 1st Grade, and will therefore be in school full-time with her big brother. That means Mommy will be able to devote those school hours to her Master's Degree program with minimal guilt. It's a good plan, but thinking about those 6 years of schooling is pretty daunting, especially when I haven't even started yet.
BUT, setting all of the blind terror aside, I'm REALLY excited to be starting school again. I LOVE it. I really do. It's like crack to me. I can't get enough. I'm so looking forward to this, and I will probably keep geeking out about it on a regular basis, especially once my new classes start, so brace yourselves.
Oddly enough, my son won't be starting school until after Labor Day this year. It's some new brilliant idea that the geniuses that run the school district have come up with. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Crazy people.
Oh, and I also want to thank those of you who gave me so much encouragement and support after my latest confession. It's good to know there are so many people out there that could use the services of book pushers like me.
Okay, this rant has gone on long enough. Happy Weekend Everybody!
That's sounds like A LOT of school. I've thought about going back, but I don't I could handle more than 2 years...maybe 4.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's intimidating from this side of things, but I know it will be worth it in the end.
DeleteYikes, this is daunting. This is pretty much what the wife and I are going to face, because she's going to start school to be a doctor soon, and since neither of us want kids when we're 40, that means I'll pretty much have to be Mr. Mom while she's suffering through med school. It'll be worth it in the end, though, right? (Of course it will. You just said that above me) :)
ReplyDeleteIt will definitely be worth it, and being Mr. Mom is only for the super awesome. I have no doubts that you will be able to handle it. :)
DeleteHeck yeah six years of school! I think what you're doing—while INSANELY scary—is such an amazing step. I envy you for knowing exactly what you want and how to get it. Good for you, Candice.
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome. Thanks for the support. I'm excited for this crazy journey to begin! :)
Delete