My son's final day of 1st grade is tomorrow.
It's so hard to believe how quickly this school year has gone by. Many of you that have been following this blog for a while know how difficult the beginning of CT's school year was. He got off on the wrong foot (in a BIG WAY) with his first teacher, so after about 2 months we went to the principal and had him switched over to a new teacher and a new class.
I was grateful for the opportunity he had been given, but I admit I still had my concerns. I mean, it's got to be a pretty jarring experience for a 6-year-old kid to get used to one teacher and her way of doing things, and then be thrown into a whole new, completely different class.
How very needless was all that worry.
CT's new teacher welcomed him into her class with open arms. She expected him to adhere to her rules and do his best work, but she did so with a kindness and open-heartedness that made him WANT to try his best. From the first day that my son started going to her class, I saw a tremendous change in his attitude toward himself and toward school. His grades shot through the roof, and he started learning even more quickly than before.
Does he still have some problems with classroom behavior? Yes he does.
However, since this new teacher chose to be caring and helpful, he never felt worthless or "bad", as he did during his experience with the first teacher. CT is so excited to be done with school for the summer, but he keeps saying how much he's going to miss his teacher.
To be honest, I'm going to miss her too. I can't help worrying and praying that CT's 2nd grade teacher will be as fantastic as his 1st grade teacher has been.
I'm also hoping that AJ will have her as a teacher when she reaches 1st grade. That's not unreasonable, is it?
I'm just so grateful for this fantastic teacher, and her willingness to take my son into her class and help him to have such a positive experience this year, despite such a rocky beginning. You can bet I'll be sending her a thank-you card tomorrow. It's the least I can do.
In other news, I'm not sure I've ever mentioned the fact that we bought the chiddlers a swing set this year.
A really, really nice one.
However, due to some crazy weather patterns, (I use the phrase loosely here, since the only "weather pattern" that we enjoy here in Utah is chaos), and the fact that our entire fence was destroyed in a crazy windstorm we had in the fall...that swing set has been sitting in our garage for several months, just waiting for the chance to make its debut.
Now, with the weather stabilizing and the fence-repair company starting work, Ty was able to use his two days off this week to build that swing set.
I did my best to help him, but in the end he did most of the work, you know, since there is no freaking way I could possibly decipher those instructions properly.
But, despite the fact that the instructions made no sense, AND most of the large pieces weren't even labeled, Ty got the job done. YAY!
The swing set turned out great, and the chiddlers had a blast this afternoon; climbing all over it, swinging on the swings and going down the slide.
Ty, after taking pictures and enjoying the pleasure that comes from knowing all of his hard work is well-appreciated, fell asleep on the patio swing while watching the chiddlers play.
Hmmm...I guess the effort involved with a huge, 13-hour buliding project out in the sun, spread across two days has a tendency to make people kinda tired. Who knew? ;)
Anyway, I'd better stop rambling now. Have a nice day!
PS: My next post is number 111. Some of you might remember that I promised to do a video blog post for my 111th.
I'm starting to regret making that promise now...but I've already weaseled out of this once, and I don't think I can justify doing it again. (Curse my ridiculously vocal conscience!!!)
Anyhoo...this is your last chance. Ask me a question (or two) that you want me to answer in my video post. I will do my best to answer them. Just don't send your minions and thugs after me when you're bitterly disappointed by the pure lousiness of the post.
Until then...
Elementary school teachers are a tricky bunch. Every once in a while you'll get one that acts like your kid is some kind of weirdo, or like they have it in for them or just completely object to their whole personality. My daughter had one or two. I know I had at least six ;D
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's weird. I know my 1st grade teacher was like that with me, and it kind of ruined my whole attitude toward school for years. We were lucky with our son this year, though. He got switched over to a wonderful teacher. I'm just so glad it worked out the way it did. :)
DeleteI'm not an elementary teacher, so I know it's a bit different. But every year I get a couple of students who I just can't stand. Of course, I don't treat them badly, but I'm sure they feel the same way. Sometimes the best thing to do is just find a new class. And I'm sure they'll have a good summer with their swings. :)
DeleteOh yes, the swings are definitely a big hit! :)
DeleteI know that teachers can get those students that they don't like, and vice versa, it just makes a big difference when the teacher allows that dislike to affect the way the treat the kid. Oh well, it's all in the past, and CT finished out the year on a very positive note. It all worked out. :)
Okay, question: What's the worst book you've ever read to completion? You know, one so bad that you just can't put it down because you hope it'll get better, but it never does. It just somehow gets worse.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to 111!
Oh! Good question! I'll have to think about that one!
DeleteThe first full time year of school is a bit traumatic, so I'm glad that the chiddler found a teacher who was caring and made it a positive experience.~
ReplyDeleteMe too! She really was amazing. :)
DeleteYour teacher will make or break your entire school experience. I'm so, so glad things worked out for your family.
ReplyDeleteI agree! Thanks, Nicki. :)
Delete