I mentioned in the past that I have written a novel that has not as yet seen the light of day beyond my own personal readings and edits. Ty has read most of it, but has not been able to re-read it since I made some MAJOR changes a couple of years ago. The story has been finished since somewhere around the beginning of 2009. I haven’t looked at it since.
While I was pretty happy with the changes I had made and the way the story shaped up, there still seemed to be something missing. I felt like the focus was a little off…which scared me. I’d finished my novel. It was over. I needed to move on.
But, being a total complete lunatic, I couldn’t ignore that nagging feeling forever. I wrote a whole new prologue to the novel, and—dang it all—it fits perfectly. But it also changes everything.
So now I’ve pulled out the file again and am currently working on making a LOT of changes to the story. Things will need to be cut out and replaced with other things that fit in with the new prologue. I’m nervous and excited at the same time. These changes will make the existing story more rounded and complete. I know that I will be a lot happier with it once I’ve finished.
So, these changes are a good thing, right? Why am I so annoyed with myself?
I’m completely irritated by the fact that I am such a crazed perfectionist. I may never finish this story if I keep going through and changing things like this! The way I write is insane. I write a first draft, and then I read through it, making changes as I go. Then I read through it again and make more changes. I do this over and over again until I can read through the whole thing without making ANY changes at all. Do you have any idea how long that can take?!?! *Grumble, Grumble, Growl*
So, I've set a goal for this summer: “Get my novel finished to the point where I can start sending out queries to publishers.” I’m such a chicken; I’ve never even tried to contact agents or publishers about this yet. But after all the work I’ve put into it (and considering all the work I’m GOING to put into it over the next few weeks/months) I think I want to at least try this thing. (Yeah, we’ll all believe THAT when we see it, right?)
Let’s all start a countdown, shall we? You guys all have my permission to nag me persistently so I can be sure to meet my goal before school starts up again at the end of August. Who’s with me?
Anyway, rant over. Back to your lives, citizens.
Yeah sounds right you need to set a goal for when you want it finished and work towards that otherwise it will feel like it will never get finished......
ReplyDeleteI sympathize, as I’m only able to move on to the next paragraph if the current paragraph is perfect. You’ll probably go through hell these next few weeks but… go for it, sister!
ReplyDeleteI get to nag you? cool lol.
ReplyDeleteI know you can get the thing finished. I am discovering that sometimes you have to just stop, walk away and declare something finished. Messed up a pretty good picture today by adding paint. Sames goes for writing I find. It is possible to over do it
What's your book about? I am assuming fiction. You don't have to give away the story, but maybe a little teaser.
ReplyDeleteJo-Anne: Thanks. I think the goal idea is a good one, it's going to take a lot of work and all of my spare moments this summer, but I want to do it. Wish me luck!
ReplyDeleteDrake: It's good to know I'm not alone in the world of crazed perfectionism bordering on OCD. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to need it! :)
Mynx: Yes, you get to nag me as much as you want! Fun, right?
I'm going to get there, I just need to keep going and not let myself get overwhelmed by the project. I know what you mean about ruining something by trying to fix it after it's finished. However, the way my writing works, it just seems to get better the longer I let it marinate. Sigh...I'm so messed up!
George: Hmmm....I'm not sure I can give you a good teaser without telling you all the best parts of the story. I'll try to figure something out, and maybe do a post about it if I get the guts. Stay tuned! :)
I can't wait for you to tell us when your book is finished! I'm so happy for you, going out and deciding to go through with it!
ReplyDeleteI will nag you constantly! I promise.
Just keep writing, just keep writing, writing, writing, what do we do? we write.....seriously though, I understand. On a much smaller level but I understand.
ReplyDeleteIt is so cool that you've opened your novel again. I find that the revising and adding and subtracting is the most fun. I hate coming up with plot lines and characters. But once they're established, I love rereading and rewriting.
ReplyDeleteI also would say that you've got to let others read it. You need feedback because you might well be missing something and never know it.
Let me know if I can help. Seriously, I would love to read what you've got. Remember, I'm an editor now. :)
www.wescottwritingservices.com
So... how much have you gotten done this morning? Time is a-wastin'
ReplyDeleteChanel: Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be sure to tell all of you when it's finished, and give lovely details about the many rejections I'm bound to recieve. (I'm not being pessimistic--just realistic.)
ReplyDeleteYes, please nag me as much as you can. I'll need it! :)
Jenna: Awww MAN, now that song is totally in my head! :)
Seriously though, thank you.
Brent: I agree. It took me a lot of time and energy to create these characters, but now that they're established, meddling with them is a LOT of fun. :)
I'll be sure to let you know if I get stuck and need professional help. Hopefully Tyler can finish reading it and give me some more feedback before I pass it on to be read by someone else.
Doug: I confess, I haven't done anything with it today, but I have several VERY good reasons, really. You know, kids, playgroup, rearranging the basement...I'll get to it later tonight though, I promise. :)
I know the feeling. I do think that utter perfection is impossible. I would say if you are striving for excellence it's a good thing, but if you're aiming at perfection, maybe not so much.
ReplyDelete+followed
Elliot: My original response was lost somewhere in the depths of the blogosphere, so I shall try again:
ReplyDeleteWelcome, and thanks for the follow!
I agree (most reluctantly) that utter perfection is impossible. I shall strive for excellence, though. No one was ever hurt too much by holding themselves up to a higher standard, right? :)
I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED FOR YOU.
ReplyDeleteAnd a little in awe of your butt-kicking, goal-setting determination. =)
Nicki: Awww...Thanks for the encouragement. Let's just hope my determination is enough to get me where I need to go! :)
ReplyDelete