Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An Epic Battle of the Ages!!!

Tonight, as I was finishing up feeding my daughter her dinner, my 6-year-old son came running up the stairs: "Mom! Mom! There's a spider down there!" I froze. A spider. Ty was taking a much-needed and well-deserved nap after a long day at work, and he's usually the family Spider-Slayer. I wasn't about to wake him up just to take care of a spider so I took a deep breath, put my daughter in her crib, and tried to psych myself up for battle.
I hate spiders. I hate them as much as I hate Math--and that is a VERY powerful hate. Spiders are creepy, evil, and every one of them is determined to destroy the human race.
Yeah, I know that they're useful and help keep the insect population down, but they had darn well better be doing that crap OUTSIDE of my house. Once they step even one of their eight tiny little legs INSIDE my house, they're on the short list of "soon-to-be-dead creepy critters." It's just the way it goes. They can live their creepy little lives however they want, FAR FAR AWAY FROM ME.
Anyway, my maternal duty to protect my children from the evil of spiders was calling, so I grabbed an empty plastic cup with a lid, and headed downstairs to meet my Enemy. I wasn't sure if I could do the whole job with the cup, so just in case, I grabbed a couple of wet wipes out of the diaper bag and brought them with me as well.
We went downstairs, and my son pointed out the evil critter. I was all steeled up to deal with the monster, and then I actually saw it. It had long, black legs, and a black body with a gray tushie. It was larger than I'd expected, and all of my former resolve completely disappeared.
It was intense. I sat there on the floor, staring down this little monstrosity for at least ten minutes. I swear this thing was mocking me in its own silent, creepy language: "BWAHAHAHA! I'm barely the size of your thumb, and you can't come any closer to me! I'm totally gonna call all of my spider friends and we'll carry you off as soon as you fall asleep tonight and sacrifice you on an altar to the Gods of Spideria!"
The spider was right. I was frozen. My son--who is almost as freaked out by spiders as I am--was sitting at my elbow. His constant stream of comments on how big the spider was and saying things like "You can do it mom. Come on, do it now!" was decidedly NOT helpful.
Finally, I swallowed my terror and reached out with the cup. I trapped the beast, but I couldn't bring myself to put the lid over the opening. I couldn't bear the thought of getting any closer than an arm's length away. So I just sat there with the cup trapping the spider, and thought up a plan.
I laid out one of the wet wipes underneath the place where I was holding the cup, and picked it up a little. The spider wasn't on the couch anymore, but it wasn't in the cup either. It had fallen onto the wet wipe on the floor and tried to crawl away. I acted on instinct. I reached out with the bottom of the cup and used it to violently smash my enemy. However, when I pulled the cup away, the spider was still walking!!! I struck a second time, but it was STILL alive! So finally I went nuts and repeatedly crushed that stupid little thing until it was just a crumpled mass of legs.

I folded my vanquished enemy into its wet-wipe shroud and handed another wipe to my son, who bravely used it to pick it all up. Then he carried the spider up to the bathroom and flushed it down the toilet. He was very proud of me, "Mom, you did it! I can't believe you did it! Good job!" It's awesome being praised for bravery by a six-year-old, especially one that just watched his own mother stare white faced at a spider while she scrounged up her last scrap of courage to get rid of it. I displayed the exact opposite of courage, but he only saw that I won the battle and praised me for it, no matter how freaked out I was during the whole process.
Ty, who had been lying on the couch next to this whole scene, woke up just as I was delivering the fatal blow. Our son explained the situation, and I told him the story.
Ty said: "Why didn't you wake me up? I could have done it."
I shrugged, "I didn't want to wake you up just for this. It seemed rude."
Ty yawned, "You didn't have to stare it down either." Then he rolled over and said: "Good job, you fearsome warrior, you."
I walked up to the kitchen to obsessively wash my hands of spidery contamination and bask just a little in the glory that comes from defeating an age-old enemy.
And thus ended the Great Spider Battle of 2011.

13 comments:

  1. Good on you for facing your fears Ms. Spider Killer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bards shall sing songs of your victory.

    I prefer to use a vacuum cleaner. The suction rips those crawlies apart, so you shouldn’t have to worry about them coming back out for revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They'll write a book about this adventure someday. I'm not a fan of spiders either but little ones don't bother me too much. The 10 to 12 inch ones creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter hates spiders. They don't bother me too much. Bees are more my problem, although I have seen spiders big enough to stop me in my tracks. That's always a sinking feeling, isn't it, when you go to crush a spider and you lift the thing back up and the spider isn't there? *Shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also hate spiders and have had to suck it up and kill a lot of them over the years as when you have a child crying and freaking out more then you are you do what has to be done........
    I usually use a fly squatter and squish it.....

    Good on you for being able to do what had to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't mind them outside but like you, they are on borrowed time inside. Yes I know I post pictures of spiders on my blog but I look at that as therapy. Good heavy shoe works well too, or a handy can of bug spray

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should have assigned your son to do the deed. He needs to learn at some point. In fact, next time I see a spider, I'm getting Xander to attack it for me.

    When I go after spiders, I do it with a wad of tissue. Grab and squeeze, and you're sure to kill it outright. And feel for the little crack. The tiny snap that tells you it's squished and dead and gone. If you don't feel that, it's still alive and will just crawl back out of the trashcan and come after you in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Empress: Thanks for the encouragement. I always get the mega-creeps whenever those things come anywhere near me. Blech!

    Drake: I like to use the vacuum usually, too. However, it is good to know that they will be dead before they hit the bag. I always wondered if they just crawled out of the vacuum when I wasn't looking...

    George: 10 inch spiders?!?! I'm SOOOO glad I don't live where you live! I think I'd have daily panic attacks, just wondering where those things were lurking!

    Bryan: I know, right? Even when I've stomped on it and I know it's dead, I still get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

    PS: Your daughter is smart for hating spiders. She, like me, must know how very evil they are. Bees aren't my favorite, either. They're bad because so many people have deathly allergies to their stings. *More Shuddering...*

    JoAnne: Thanks for the kudos. It's not easy for me to screw up enough courage to get the job done. I just have to tell myself what my mom always said when I was younger: "I'd rather kill it and know where it is than let it get away and spend the rest of the day wondering."

    Mynx: Shoes and sprays work great for me as well. I've even used a bottle of carpet cleaner to kill a few of them. Blech!

    Brent: My son has actually killed a few spiders in his time. Like me, he usually uses a shoe. This one just wasn't in a position that was conducive to the shoe method.

    Tyler does the tissue thing. The little "pop" or "crackle" that the squished spider makes as I squeeze it is the very reason I can't stand the tissue method. It makes me sick, and the very idea of having one of those creepers between my fingers in any situation freaks me out!!! *Shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I get the shivers every single time I do that, too. But it's such a good shiver...

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first pulled this up to read you had just written it and no one had commented and I was all, "Heck yeah! First!" But then Padawan was all, "Chanel...you promised we could watch that episode tonight and you know it's not fair to put it off again..." I'm not normally a sucker for wheedling, but I had promised. So I decided I would come back to it. And then I fell asleep on the couch. And Wednesday was spent with Padawan cleaning and then relaxing because we'd both been working crazy and then Thursday I was behind the counter so I was going to catch up Friday, but then they had me behind the counter again so I only JUST got the chance to do this. I'm so sorry!

    You're very brave for having fought off that monstrous spider and destroying it! I personally know exactly how satisfying it is to destroy something to evil, diabolical, and dangerous. (Remember: I crushed a cricket.) Good for you for smashing him to tiny bits!

    It probably WAS waiting for you to fall asleep so it could carry you and your family off to their God. Good for you for protecting your family! And you NEVER have to do it again. You've got permission from Tyler to wake him up next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chanel: You don't have to worry about waiting so long. I only just got to answering everyone's comments last night. It's been one of those weeks.

    Thanks for saying I'm brave. I sure didn't feel that way, but at least I managed to get the job done. Stupid spider! Let's just hope one of his friends was watching, so the other spiders can be warned to STAY AWAY FROM ME!!!

    It totally was plotting something dark and evil. I could almost see the tiny wheels whirling in its diabolical little head. They're clever. They really are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know what bugs make me scream like a little girl? Wasps.

    I was driving down the freeway one day and a wasp flew in the car window. If it had been just me in the car I'm not sure how I would have reacted, but my ex-wife and kids were in the car. I was freaking out mentally, but tried to appear calm. I slowly pulled off of the road, opened the door so the wasp would fly out, then ran about ten feet away doing some kind of convulsey-jerky dance.

    I looked like a pansy, probably, but I pulled off the road safely without panicking, and if I was blogging back then I definitely would have written a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doug: I really REALLY wish someone had gotten that whole scene on video. Very much so. :)

    Of course, I can't talk. I was driving to work one day a few years ago. I was alone in the car, and just as I was going over a sort of bridge a huge moth comes flying right up into my face! I freaked out and nearly drove into the railing at the side of the bridge. Luckily I managed to pull over without crashing (it really was a close call) and let the stupid little thing out the window. Then I had to take a few moments to calm down so I could keep my racing heart from exploding. Stupid moth.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)