Yesterday was my birthday. Yes, yes, I know you're all racked with guilt right now for not sending me cards and piles of cash. However, I am a very forgiving person and will gladly accept your late offerings to me and my awesomeness. You're welcome.
Now for a report on how I spent my birthday. I know, I know. You can thank me later.
I woke up in the morning to the sound of my daughter's trademark pterodactyl shriek. Without words, this particular screeching noise says: "I'M HERE AND YOU'RE NOT, FIX IT NOW!!!" I promptly (and by that I mean sluggishly) got out of bed and took her downstairs to feed her breakfast.
Once the kids were fed, I went upstairs to get ready for the day. My best friend, Leesh, was taking us all out for lunch, and we were going to be meeting in a couple of hours. When I got out of the shower, I saw Ty sitting on the bed, reading the news and drinking a glass of chocolate milk. It was unusual for him to drink chocolate milk in bed, but I shrugged it off.
As I got out of the shower, Ty was laughing hysterically.
I turned on him: "What's so funny?"
He shook his head and stopped laughing long enough to say: "It's just this prank someone at work was telling me about the other day."
I tried to get him to tell me about it, but he said: "You'll see soon enough."
Terror washed over me, "What. Do. You. Mean?"
He just snickered, "Let's just say the trap has already been set. It's just a matter of when you set it off. It's your birthday prank."
I was annoyed, but Ty is famous for saying things like that just to mess with me. I figured he didn't mean it, and finished getting ready. When all was said and done, I have to say I looked and felt awesome. I mean, it's not every day you turn 29, is it?
Ty called up to me: "Candice, are you almost ready?" I called back: "Yeah, I'm just about there."
As I ran down the stairs, I grabbed Ty's empty chocolate milk glass and took it down to the kitchen with me. On auto pilot, I walked over and placed it in the sink. Ty looked over at what I was doing, and said: "You should probably rinse that out, Babe."
I lifted the handle to turn on the water, and screamed.
The hand sprayer for the kitchen sink was soaking my shirt and making me very wet and cold. Ty laughed as I stood there in shock for a minute, just watching as the water shot from the sink all the way across the room. Ty, still laughing, said: "Are you going to turn off the water?" I was fuming as I turned off the water and stormed up the stairs to change my shirt.
I'm not going to lie, I was pissed off. I changed my clothes, which in my opinion were NOT as cute as my original outfit choice, and went down the stairs. Ty had cleaned up the watery mess and was watching me tentatively. "How much trouble am I in?"
I didn't look at him and I spoke in my iciest voice: "Plenty."
He wisely stayed out of my way while I cooled off a bit and got both kids strapped into their car seats. By the time we were halfway to the restaurant, however, I was pretty much over it. We were back to our usual, joking, bantering selves by the time we pulled into the Red Robin parking lot.
We were soon seated and waited for about 10 minutes before Leesh got there. While we waited for our food, I got three phone calls from various family members wishing me happy birthday. I felt loved.
However, when I told Ty's Aunt J about his prank, she laughed and said: "I'm sorry honey, I love you, but that's pretty funny." (Which, oddly enough, was almost exactly what Leesh said when I told her about it. I'd thought for sure she'd be on my side...)
Anyway, lunch was good, I'm pretty much addicted to Red Robin's fry sauce. It's fabulous. Then, at the end of the meal, we all walked out to the parking lot where I helped to get the kids into their car seats. Then I kissed my family goodbye and left with Leesh.
We took a quick trip to Target where we purchased contraband snacks and then promptly smuggled them into the movie theater. Leesh bought the tickets and we went and enjoyed the awesomeness of "Thor". That movie is amazing. I loved it. If you haven't seen it yet, you should. You officially have my recommendation. You can take that to the bank.
After the movie, we met up with Ty and the kids at the mall. They had been shopping. Ty had found me the cutest little snowglobe to add to my collection. If I'd been clinging to any scraps of irritation about that morning's prank, they were completely gone now. He had given me two and a half glorious hours of girl time with my friend, AND he'd found the perfect gift to make me smile. He was officially forgiven.
Anyway, we said goodbye to Leesh and started driving up the mountain to go sledding at one of the ski resorts with some of Ty's cousins. We didn't stay long, but our son had some fun on the mountain.
To finish off the day, Ty let me pick a restaurant and we went and got some amazing pizza at the Pizza Factory. Then we went home, got the kids to bed, and watched "Dirty Dancing" while we ate some chocolate cake. Then, just because we could, we also watched "National Treasure".
All in all, it was a great birthday. Thanks for reading along with my story.
Let's just hope I'll be more on my toes the next time Ty asks me to rinse out ANYTHING!!!
AND...Just because you've all been SO patient, I'll tell you one more thing: Ty hid a camera and caught his little prank on video. Click here to see it.
Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I don't think it was funny either. :P
Drake: Thanks for the birthday wishes and for the sympathy. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday
ReplyDeleteI got that prank from my students on April Fool's Day, I had to laugh and so do you!
Thor was good, I was pleasantly surprised. It's funny enough to not be hoaky but still maintains it's dramatic suspense. I look forward to the sequel.
Jenna: I admit, I did laugh a little when I watched the video. I would have been in hysterics if it had happened to anyone but me. I'm a hypocrite like that. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the sequel too! It's going to be fabulous, I'm sure. Did you stay throught the end of the credits and see that special surprise scene? I literally gasped!
I agree with Drake, not too funny, at least not on your birthday, but you're definitely a good sport. Happy Birthday !
ReplyDeleteIf Padawan ever suggested I rinse out his glass I'd tell him that he has two hands, he can do it himself. (I do actually say that. I don't do dishes.) I would not have been caught in that trap. However, if I had been in your shoes (which were probably cute, and by the way I liked that shirt) I would have been beyond livid.
ReplyDeleteI probably would have cried. (That happens when I get really upset. The anger sensor is wired to the tear ducts.)
I'm glad you managed to have fun anyway. Good for him for getting you a good present! (Though flowers would have been good, too. Just saying...he recorded it. That costs extra.)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (It's not really late. You only just told us.)
Alessandra: It wasn't too bad. At least it was just water, and it didn't mess up my hair. I would have been SOOO sad if it had ruined my hair and make up.
ReplyDeleteChanel: If Tyler had been the one to put the glass in the sink, I would definitely told him to do it himself. However, since I was the one that did it, I figured I was already at the sink, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Clearly, I was wrong.
Thanks for the compliment on my shirt. I really like it. I actually ended up wearing something similar, but it was gray rather than blue. It was still cute, I just looked better in the blue one.
I always manage to have fun when I want to. Staying angry all day on my birthday would have wasted valuable energy. :)
He did give me a great present. It was perfect, and he was very sweet when he gave it to me. It's on display in the china cabinet in our front room right now. His extra gift was watching the kids while I went and spent some time with Alicia. Girl time is precious.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm willing to give you all a break this time, since--as you said--I only just told you about it. But next year, I'm expecting a BIG party. ;)
Do we need to talk about fry sauce and Utah? They don't have "fry sauce" at Red Robin in my state.
ReplyDeleteAnd happy birthday.
Happy happy birthday lovely lady and i am so glad you ended up having a nice day even after an unplanned soaking
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Wishes! Glad you enjoyed your day. I'm guessing that birthday pranks are now banned from your house?
ReplyDeleteBrent: I know that fry sauce doesn't exist anywhere but in Utah. I find it tragic. And thanks for the birthday wishes. :)
ReplyDeleteMynx: Thanks. It really was a good day. :)
Empress: Thanks, and yes. I would definitely say that birthday pranks are not allowed! :)
Happy Birthday (2 days late)
ReplyDeleteRed Robin is good. I like the burger with the fried egg on it. Very healthy.
That was a mean trick.
Bryan: Thanks for the birthday wishes. :)
ReplyDeleteYep. Red Robin is on my list of favorites. Good burgers and fries.
I really was surprised that Tyler actually executed the prank. He's usually not much of a practical jokester. Hopefully this will be his first and last venture into that world. :)
Fry sauce doesn't exist any where else? I MUST KNOW WHAT THIS MAGICAL SAUCE IS!
ReplyDeleteAnd any man who lets you watch Dirty Dancing is a keeper. Even one who sneak-sprays you with water on your birthday.
(totally funny, by the way. Just NOT funny on your birthday)
Nicki: It's a crying shame, but it's too true. Utah is the only place in the world that sells fry sauce. You can probably google it, if you're REALLY curious. :)
ReplyDeleteTyler is definitely a keeper. Not only does he let me watch "Dirty Dancing", he actually enjoys it. He watches chick flicks with me all the time. A gem, right?
I think you're right about the prank. It would have been funnier if it hadn't been my birthday. I'm glad you were entertained by it. I know Alicia laughed her guts out when I showed her the video. :)