Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lesson of the Day...

In order to fully understand today's events, I'll need to take you back a little bit...

Tyler, also know around here as "The Husband" lost his Blackberry about a week and a half ago. Yeah, I know. We've been frantically searching for it ever since and have been unsuccessful. Trust me, we've ransacked every single place we visited on the day we know he lost it. Nothing. It's as though some angry ghost just up and stole it for kicks. (Chanel, you wouldn't know whether Kane has been to Utah recently, would you?)

Needless to say that after a few days with NO sign of finding his Blackberry, (and getting stranded on the highway without gas and no cell phone) Tyler had to buy a new phone. Unfortunately, the one he wanted wasn't in stock, so he ordered it and has been using a piece of crap "loaner phone" ever since. And now you're all caught up for the rest of this post. Moving on...

This afternoon, I was finishing up giving the kids their lunch and getting ready to put the baby down for a nap when there was a swift, strong knock on the front door. Tyler had been tracking his phone, and knew it would be coming today so I rushed to answer it. Sure enough, there was the guy in the brown UPS uniform, holding a padded envelope and that digital signature device thingy.

When I opened the door, he said a brisk: "Hi. How are you?"

I answered with an automatic: "I'm good. How are you?" as I proceeded to sign for the package.

After replying that he was doing just fine, the UPS guy paused a moment, then asked: "So, are you from this area?" I looked at him, a little confused, wondering if he recognized me from somewhere or something. He saw my confusion and hurried to explain:

"The reason I ask is that when you answered me just now you said: 'I'm good. How are you?' About 90 percent of the people around here will just say 'I'm good' and nothing else. I'm from Texas, and we always reply with another 'How are you?' It's considered rude not to. Now I'm not saying that the people around here are rude, but it's really rare for someone to reply in the way that you did." Then we chatted for a few more moments before he went on his way with a smile, a wave, and "Have a great day."

I was a little surprised by what he told me. I love the area I live in. I grew up here. It's filled with great, friendly people, and it's a place I can feel good about letting my kids play outside. But what kind of crazy habits have we formed around here when we don't even reply to a "How are you?" with "I'm fine. How are you?" Isn't that just an automatic response for everyone?

Either way, I think I made this UPS guy's day. So the lesson of the day is, ask your UPS guy how he's doing every now and then. It only takes a moment, and you just might get a nice, friendly conversation out of it.

11 comments:

  1. If Kane has been up to Utah, that could explain the dirt I found on the kitchen floor last week. Doesn't Utah have dessert and rocks? If Kane is responsible, I highly recommend checking the dryer. It seems to be his favorite hiding place for things. (I found one of my Beatles guitar picks in the dryer today! How did THAT happen?)

    Aw! I know just how he feels. I always say, "Hi! How are you?" at work, and when people answer (and not everyone does) most of them just say, "I'm good." And then tell me what they want. I'd say about half of the ones that answer actually say it back, and I live in the middle of Texas!

    Good for you for saying it back! You are a fine example of proper manners. People should learn from you and Mr. UPS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always taught to do the same. Then again I was also taught the please and thank yous, bless you and so forth. I don't encounter a lot of these in my everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chanel: Utah has desert, rocks, mountains, and snow. We pretty much have everything you could think of up in here. Craziness. I checked the dryer, no luck. Crap!

    Thanks for the kudos, by the way. It's nice to know I'm doing something right. :)

    George: It really is too bad that common courtesy has become such a rarity these days. What's up with that, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyler "The Husband" Here:

    I reiterate my comment from that night... Our neighbor's might not ask, but most people who do ask don't really want to know. When you ask a stranger "How are you?" all you want in return is a "Great" or a "Fine" we don't really want to have a conversation with this stranger. Maybe the truth is that our locals are simply more genuine than in Texas where the delivery man came from. maybe not, but it seems to me to be a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tyler: You do have a point, but who knows? I'd say the people I've come across that return with an automatic "How are you" is about 50/50 with the people who don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Tyler: Oh, now that's not fair. I always ask the UPS guy how he is and we have a nice conversation. Of course, I see him several times a week when he comes by the store, and he is also the same UPS guy that delivers to my apartment. But still, there's an expectation of courtesy . If someone asks you how you are, it's polite to answer and ask after them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess what!!!!!!!!!!

    I gave you an award.

    You know the drill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You brownies smell AWESOME. They aren't done yet, but Padawan tried the batter. He said it was yummy. The smell is driving me nuts. Just thought I'd tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yay!!! Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Psst, Candice... he was hitting on you.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doug: I'm not sure whether I should be flattered or worried. I mean, that guy knows where I live now! Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)