Monday, February 21, 2011

Friday Afternoon...

I had just walked in the door when my cell phone rang. It was my mom.
Me: "Hello?"
Mom: "Candice."
Me: "Mother."
Mom: "What do you have going on right now?"
Me: "Nothing. What's up?"
Mom: "I just brought KT (my youngest brother) home. I need to go back to the store to pick up some prescriptions, but he's in no condition to come with me and I don't want to leave him home alone. Could you come and sit with him for a little while?"
Me: "Yeah, sure. No problem."
Mom: "Great. Could you come in about 20 minutes?"
Me: "Yep. I'll just get the kids packed up and be there soon."
Mom: "Thanks."
I hurried and got some things pulled together, including my Abnormal Psychology book so I could study for an upcoming test, and left for Mom's house. When I got there, Mom was just about ready to go. She looked tired, but she smiled when we walked in. "Thanks for doing this, Candice." I smiled back, "No problem. How's he doing?"
I looked around, and then I saw him. He was sitting in the big recliner in the family room. His eyes were puffy and drooping. He could barely move, and his speech was slurred as he greeted me: "Hey Sis." He didn't look at all like his usual self, and I pitied him.
Mom gave me a little look, and then turned to KT: "I'll be back in a few minutes. Just rest, okay?" KT nodded, but I don't think he was all that aware of what was going on.
Mom left, and I sat in the reclining rocking chair across from my little brother as my kids started playing, excited to be at Grandma's house. I talked to KT, unsure if he would even remember our conversation when he woke up the next day.
My son ran up to his Uncle, asking him to make a paper airplane. (Both of my little brothers are really good at making paper airplanes).
KT blinked slowly, but then he slurred: "Sure, Buddy. But you'll have to bring me a piece of paper, because I can't really walk right now without falling over." My son complied, promptly requesting his favorite design, the "Eagle." KT's hands were clumsy and unsteady as he tried folding the paper into an airplane. It came out a little crooked.
After I'd talked to my brother for a little while, he said: "Hey, could you get me some water and a big cup?" I complied, and he promptly proceeded to swish a little bit of water and then spit a mouthful of blood into the large cup I'd brought from the kitchen. I felt a little bad for him, but I also understood.
Getting your wisdom teeth taken out can be a pretty miserable experience.

10 comments:

  1. Oh...yuck!

    I never got my wisdom teeth. I think I'm appreciating the lack more and more as I read horror stories about them.

    Poor kid. He gets a lot of ice cream for his troubles, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing the guys who volunteered for submarine duty come back with the swollen faces after they took all of them out. I didn't envy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WORST experience of my life, seriously. It was 4 days before school orientation too, so my yearbook photo and my ID badge my sophomore year featured chipmunk Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chanel: You are one lucky girl. It's SO not fun. Sigh...oh well. I survived, and Kevin is actually doing just great now. Apparently, he's a quick healer.

    George: Ick! So miserable! Did you ever get your wisdom teeth, or were you one of the lucky ones like Chanel?

    Ms Jenna: So sad! Oddly, I was fortunate enough to avoid the chipmunk look, but I can still remember that AWFUL pain that I woke up with one night when the pain meds had worn off. *Shudder* NOT fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooo my goodness. Wisdom teeth was one of the most emotionally charged times of my life. I kept trying to talk to my mom to tell her all about it and it seriously sounded like "gargle blargh smoth clo braaaaaaaaaaaaa." She nodded and smiled.
    Then she surprised me with a giant stuffed dog.
    And I burst into tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two of them left, the navy took the other two out. They took mine one at a time and I didn't affect me very much at all. I didn't take anything for pain and I was eating fried chicken that night. I guess that I was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicki: That's so sad! I know I could barely move my mouth to even try to say anything, my mouth was stuffed so full of gauze, it was stupid to even try. (PS: Do you still have the dog?)

    George: Fried chicken? Wow. I think I had applesauce for the first 2 days, and then took it slowly from there for the rest of the following week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give him lots of ice cream, even if he's feeling better! (OR frozen yogurt, which I learned today has less fat than ice cream.)

    Is there a certain age for wisdom teeth to come in? Have I missed it completely, or do I still have to worry?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That surgery is never a fun one. Lucky your brother has a wonderful family to look after him. Hopefully he is feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chanel: He's been enjoying his favorite vanilla pudding and other such soft things. Tyler and I also got him a Beatles mug, which totally made him smile.

    I don't know if there is a certain age range that you need to worry about. But we'll just stay positive and say you've missed the window. :)

    Empress: Indeed, it is NOT fun. He is feeling a lot better, I think he's actually been going to school this week and everything.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)