Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just Because I'm Proud of this Accomplishment...

For my technical writing class, we were required to write a technical description. For those that may be unsure, that means I get to pick an object and describe its different parts and how they all work together. After a little bit of internal turmoil and struggle, I decided to choose something that I knew I could describe pretty well. An acoustic guitar. I've literally grown up surrounded by acoustic guitars. I own one. I think I can handle it. However...I have never really done any technical writing before. I'm more of a creative writer. However, as I'm a perfectionist and like to get good grades, I figured: "Hey, what the heck. Let's give it a shot."

After much editing and stressing, I finally pulled together a technical description that I am very pleased with. It's definitely not bad for a first attempt.

However, the thing I'm most proud of with this project is the visual aid that I put together for it. I couldn't find one diagram of a guitar that I liked, soooo...I made my own. That's right. The labels are mine and everything! Three cheers for me!

Anyway, here is the final product for those that are interested:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition of the Acoustic Guitar:
An acoustic guitar is a stringed instrument that is played by pressing the fingers down on strings that are stretched across a fingerboard. The other hand strums or picks the strings near the sound hole of the instrument. Acoustic guitars come in many shapes, sizes, and are made from a variety of different materials depending on the desired sound and the individual style of each player.

The Anatomy of an Acoustic Guitar:
Every guitar is made up of the same basic components. The body is the large, hollow section of the guitar that typically rests on a knee while being played. When strummed, guitar strings create vibrations that are then registered by the bridge. Located just below the sound hole at the front of the guitar, the bridge is where the strings are anchored. From there, vibrations are picked up by the sounding board—the flat surface on the front of the body—which then creates the acoustic guitar’s unique timbre. The music is heard through the sound hole, located in the middle of the sounding board. To make different sounds with the strings, a player places his/her fingers on the strings in varying frets on the fingerboard. The fingerboard is the flat, dark strip of wood on the front of the neck of the guitar. Frets are metal ridges set at specific intervals along the fingerboard. Depending on which notes need to be played and the desired key, players use frets as primary reference points for where to place their fingers. The player then strums the strings with the other hand near the sound hole. When the strings are in need of tuning, the player uses the tuning keys, located at the very top of the guitar’s neck, on the headstock. Tightening or loosening the tuning keys change the tone of each string to be higher or lower as needed. (See Figure 1)

Figure 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I said, not bad for a first-timer, eh? It was good for me to get outside of my comfort zone for a while, I think. It's why I took this class--to expand my writing skills and stretch a few mental muscles I didn't know I had. I still have a lot of work to do here, but I think I'm off to a good start.

**SIDE NOTE: This is my 30th post! Woohoo! A big thanks to my 6 followers! You all make my blogging life so much more fun. I love you all! Also, thanks to the stragglers that pay my little blog an occasional visit here and there. You and your comments are always welcome. :) Have a nice day, everyone!**

2 comments:

  1. You own an acoustic guitar, presumably because you play one? That's awesome! I work in music sales/rentals/sheet music, so I loved reading about something I'm familiar with. (No, I don't play guitar. I've tried three times since I do have a lot of down time at work and plenty of acoustic and electric guitars to learn on and lots of books. Alas, my delicate flutist's fingers can't take the pain of steal or nylon or the nickle wound nylon strings.)

    Anyway, since I am very familiar with the anatomy of guitars (you have to be to sell them and their accessories) I say good job and well done, you missed nothing. (But if you wanted to add some more, you could also go into the differences in nylon, steal, and nickle wound strings and the ways of strumming and plucking them and how they effect the sound of the guitar.) And did you know that, unlike Violins and Violas, there is no standardized size for a guitar? Every full sized, half sized, and three quarters sized guitar is different and varies within makers, both acoustic and electric. I think that's kind of silly, personally, but it's the way it's always been done.

    Anyway, congrats on your 30th post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanel: I do play the guitar, although my overall skill leaves something to be desired. Oh well, I mostly just play for myself and the people that love me no matter how much I suck. :) And it does take quite a bit of time (and pain) to develop the necessary callouses on your fingertips. I can totally relate to that process. But once the callouses are there, they're there forever.

    The flute? Really? That's cool! I never tried any woodwind-type instruments, so I admire your skills.

    I did not know that there was no standardized size for guitars, so that was an interesting tidbit. And thank you for the complement on my description. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)