Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Battle of the Century...(Or at least the Summer).

A couple of weeks ago, we went out to dinner as a family. As would be expected in many restaurants, there were coasters on the table. However, Tyler and I decided that we didn't really want or need coasters that night. We needed pucks for a game of "Dinner Table Air-Hockey".

For those of you that are unfamiliar with this game don't feel bad, it's not even in the Olympics yet. Anyways, allow me to enlighten you. Basically, the goal is to get the puck (coaster) past your opponent's defenses as many times as possible. The first person to seven points wins.
I have to say, I was doing quite well. I shut Tyler out on the first two games, but then he started gaining momentum and won the next two. It was the tie-breaker round, and I began battling even more fiercely for the title. The score was so close, it was anybody's game, and then...

Apparently Tyler's glass was a smidge too close to the edge of the table, and what with the battle raging back and forth...well, let's just say there was a bit of a mishap. I had one of those slow-motion moments as I watched that glass fall to the floor, splashing ice and water all over the carpet next to our table.
Luckily, the guy they sent to clean up the mess was perfectly amiable (at least on the surface, you can never tell what those guys are really thinking). He cleared up the icy mess and left us to ourselves.
Well, we couldn't very well leave the game unresolved, so we continued the battle until there was a winner. I have to be honest: Tyler won fair and square. He's a worthy opponent, I'll give him that.

Be honest now, what sounds more appealing to you? A calm dinner with your family, or an epic coaster battle to end all coaster battles? I think we all know my answer!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like fabulous fun. Just glad the glass bounced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic coaster battle every time!! Though I NEVER play games like that because I am very uncoordinated, have no depth perception and don't really like losing to my husband (which I would). We usually scrinch all the straw wrappers up like tiny paper caterpillars, then put soda on them so they curl out. It was my dad's favorite diner trick, and my kid loves it. It's always a huge disappointment when the straw wrappers are plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mynx: I, too am VERY glad the glass didn't go shattering all over the floor. That would have dampened the evening quite a bit. (And probably would have earned a few glares from the clean-up guy.) :)

    Elizabeth: You don't have to be coordinated to play Table Air-Hockey. Goodness knows I never claimed to be coordinated in any way. :)

    I remember the straw wrapper uncurling thing. It is pretty cool. Reminds me of those "fireworks" snakes. You know, the little black wafers that you light and then it grows into a long piece of black charcoal that stains your sidewalk...Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the heck kinda design was on that coaster anyway? Was it like a hamburger battleship game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicki: Yes. It's a battleship type game. You're supposed to draw hamburgers on some of the squares and proceed as you would in battleship. Lame, but who am I to object? I invented a coaster game too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish my parents had been as cool as you about playing games in restaurants. We, uh, had to be quiet and behave ourselves. But your game sounds awesome! And I think the guy probably didn't mind too much, if at all. He was probably in the back talking about the totally awesome, not picky customers who invented a cool game. I used to work in a restaurant, and I would have thought it was funny. Maybe they were even secretly taking bets on who would win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chanel: I often wonder if our 5 year old son sometimes thinks his parents are completely insane. But I figure it's important to have fun when you can. :)

    I think you could be right about the guy who cleaned up our mess. He was certainly very nice about the whole thing. I probably would have laughed had I been in his shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)