Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Short Lesson in Creating Band Names...

I've discovered the secret.

There is a very simple rule to creating a good name for a rock band. Think about some of the most successful bands out there: The Rolling Stones, The Counting Crows, The All-American Rejects, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Smashing Pumpkins. They have all followed this "band-name rule", and look where they've gone since then! The Beatles only half followed the rule and they did pretty well in their time.

The formula for a good band name: The word "The" + Adjective + Noun. This noun can be related or completely unrelated to the chosen adjective. Put those three elements together and voila! You've got yourself a fantastic name for your rock band.

I inadvertently created a band name tonight. It's how I came across this formula. Our little family had just finished dinner at the Olive Garden. As we left the restaurant I was carrying two takeout boxes with a bag of breadsticks balancing on top. Predictably, the breadsticks fell to the floor multiple times. When we got home those breadsticks took one more dive to the ground.

I let out an exasperated sigh: "Geez, these must be some really suicidal breadsticks!" And there it was: the secret. Think about it: "The Suicidal Breadsticks" would be a great name for a band!

Others before me may have already figured out this rule. If so, don't burst my bubble. It's a new idea to me!

(By the way, if you're looking for a band name, feel free to take "Suicidal Breadsticks." I'll buy your album.)

**Note: Don't be fooled by little side shows like Muse, Metallica, or Nirvana. They didn't follow the rule at all, and they've virtually fallen off the face of the map...er...right?**

2 comments:

  1. You are mega hot in that ninja outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: Ummm...Thanks? But sadly I can't accept the credit. That wasn't me wearing the ninja outfit. That photo was something I found on Google. She does look good though, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)