Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Regrets...

I am still ruing a lost opportunity that was staring me in the face for years, right close to home.

On a prominent corner of Main Street, there exists a lube and oil station. At the moment, they go by the name of "Main Street Lube and Oil." However, this was not always their name.

When my husband and I first saw this building, it was plastered with the Pennzoil logo. A tall marquis sign also bore the logo: Pennzoil. Underneath the word "Pennzoil" on that very sign was the subheading: "We Feature Pennzoil."

I'll give you a minute to think about that. Does the word "redundant" come to mind?

This wonderful sign gave my husband and me something to laugh about every time we drove past it. No matter how badly my day was going, I could look at that sign and laugh myself into a good mood in no time.

Then, one day, my husband and I were driving past our favorite Pennzoil station when we saw, beneath all those wonderful Pennzoil logos, a new, even bigger sign on the side of the building. What did it say, you might ask? Now take this in slowly:

"We Feature Valvoline."

Take a moment to get this picture into your head: "Pennzoil logo here, Pennzoil logo there, Pennzoil logo here, Tall Pennzoil sign way up there. And then, on the side of the building in a very prominent spot: "We Feature Valvoline". It's too perfect.

Just when I was sure that my favorite joke couldn't get any more funny, lo and behold, the Gods of Hilarity gave me a wonderful gift. The joke became almost too good to be allowed.

Soon enough however, that joke was taken away from me. The Valvoline sign was an indication that the station had changed hands,(or at least switched allegiances). The owners didn't get to changing the signs for several weeks, however, which made me so happy.

Anyways, every time I passed that station, before and after the change, I thought to myself: "Man! I should really take a picture of that!" I never did, however, and I regret it to this very day.

So, I have made a resolution: From now on, I will keep an eye out for and take pictures of any signs that strike me as funny or ridiculous. Just so I won't be the only one in on the joke, I will post all pictures here so anyone can enjoy them. You're welcome.

Here is a fine specimen that I found a few weeks ago (before the blog). A big thanks to Tyler for pointing this gem out to me:



I will leave you with Tyler's comments on this one: "So does that mean that they are all the way off on the other days of the week?" Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)