Ah! 'Tis the season. The season for wearing hoodies and drinking mugs of hot tea. Chilly, but not too cold. I know the calendar technically states that Fall officially began over a month ago, but we all know that the calendar is a big freaking liar. Now it really feels like Fall. My favorite season of the year. And it never lasts long enough for me. I've always agreed with this description of Utah's season changes: "Almost Winter, Winter, Hotter Than Hell, and Construction." One could easily get away with calling what we're currently going through the "Almost Winter" season, but I'm calling it Fall, dang it! FALL!
I've got my afternoon class today, and a few spare minutes right now, so I figured I'd stave off Bryan's hatred (he has recently made threats in that direction) and write a post. I know. I'm such a generous person.
So the other night my dear friend, Leesha, came over to hang out, watch movies, and eat junk food. In flipping through the movies that Netflix had to offer, we just happened across one called "Strictly Ballroom." This is a film that we both watched during our time in high school, and all we could really remember about it was that it was absolutely crazy, and that we found it to be hilarious at the time. So we watched it.
We laughed so hard the whole time. Not because of any particularly clever comedic writing. Not because of hilarious situations and characters, but because it was just. so. crazy!
The acting is over the top, the film in and of itself is so unbelievably campy and cheesy, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to turn it off. It was like a horrific car wreck. You want to look away, but you just can't! Anyway, Leesha and I were laughing and mocking the movie generously all the way through. But Ty--the innocent bystander--was forced to sit, horrified, through the entire thing. I think he's lost at least 90% of any respect he ever had for either of us. Sad, I know, but maybe I can earn it back with a long and intelligent speech about the historical significance of the wheel or something. Or maybe he'll just choose to pretend it never happened, and only betray his knowledge of the truth with the occasional sidelong glance and shake of the head.
AJ and CT had fun this Halloween. They each got plenty of candy for Mom to sneak out of their bags at night after they've gone to bed and she has to study for a test. I didn't dress up this year. I just didn't think about it until it was too late to really put anything together. So I went as a Mom, complete with jeans and hoodie.
Anyway, I feel good about November. It's a pretty good month, and I'm looking forward to the holiday season. I'm a bit nutty when it comes to decorating for Christmas, though. Not until after Thanksgiving. Period. Ty isn't a fan of this rule, but he goes along with it. Good man, he is. But maybe I'll let him put up Christmas a week earlier than usual this year, if only to make up for the whole "Strictly Ballroom" incident...
So all I have to do to get you to post more often is threaten you? That's good to know. My birthday's coming up pretty soon, so don't disappoint, alright?
ReplyDeleteI have a few guilty pleasure "so bad they're good" movies I like to watch. My favorite is Tommy Wiseau's "The Room," and if you haven't seen it, you need to set aside 2 hours of your life to watch what has been hailed the "Citizen Kane of terrible movies." I watch that movie once a year and laugh just as hard every time I see it.
No, but if I've already been feeling guilty about not posting for a while, a threat can be another factor in getting me to start typing.
DeleteI think I've heard of "The Room," but I've never seen it. However, if it is the "Citizen Kane of terrible movies," it just might have to go on my list of "must sees".
"....we all know that the calendar is a big freaking liar."
ReplyDeleteTotally.
I always thinks it's weird how they have that arranged. The equinoxes seem a little closer to the proper demarcations for the seasons (although they're usually wildly off as well), but using the solstices is just crazy. The Summer and Winter solstices would clearly be the HEIGHT of their respective seasons since they're both the longest and shortest days of the year. They're peaks not starting points.
We need to get some shovels and dig up whoever came up with this idea and whack 'em a few times.
I'm in! I'll bring the shovel, if you bring gloves and the exact location of that guy's grave. That'll teach him to screw with us like that.
Delete