So yesterday morning, I must have had some sort of target on my back for all of life's little, but oh so exasperating inconveniences, because I certainly encountered each and every one of them.
First, I woke up later than I ought to have done. I got the chiddlers up and moving, and then I went to get myself ready. At this point, I looked at the clock, and things were looking pretty good timing-wise. I finished getting dressed, and that's where things went wrong.
The chiddlers both were taking their sweet time eating their breakfast, and it took a lot of motivation on my part to get them back on track. And then I started remembering all of the things I had to do before we left, and I had done none of them. Making CT's lunch, getting his homework signed, combing and styling AJ's hair and helping her get her boots and coat on, making myself some breakfast, certain papers that needed to be found and packed up...And there were probably more, but I can't remember them now.
Anyway, the point is that by the time we all finally got out the door, we were already running late. And, to add injury to insult, I smacked the side of my head on the frame of the van door as I was getting into the driver's seat. Hard. I may have used a few "holiday words" in response to the pain, but no one will ever be able to prove that...
Anyway, I got the chiddlers dropped off to their respective before-school sanctuaries and headed to my own class. While on the freeway, I heard a little nagging "ping" and looked down to see a red light on the dash, shaped like a thermometer in some liquid. Overheating, right? Well, I may have used a few more holiday words at that point, but again, no witnesses. Luckily I was within 5 minutes of the next exit, where I knew there was a Chevron station. I finally got pulled in there and popped the hood. My first instinct was to check the oil levels. It was a good thing, too, because it was bone dry. I ran inside and got 3 quarts of oil, and since I'd explained my predicament to the cashier there, he was kind enough to hand me one of those paper funnels. A good thing, too, because in my flustered state I would never have thought of such a thing and probably would have ended up pouring half the oil all over the engine.
Anyway, I got the oil tank filled up, turned on the engine, and the little red light was no longer lit up, so I hurried my little butt down the freeway and got to campus. Where I nearly ran over some poor pedestrian because I was fuming about my lousy morning. After that little adrenaline rush, I parked the car and finally rushed into my class. 10 minutes late. And crabby. Not to mention the fact that the TA who was lecturing didn't have enough material to fill the entire class time, so we got out early. Meaning that after everything I went through to get there, I wasn't even in class for a full hour before I had to turn around and head back home. Just as well, I suppose.
Anyway, as I started driving home, I was just heading up a hill when that friggin' red light pinged at me again. After cursing that stupid light and all the halflings, I turned around, back into town and pulled into another gas station. I checked the oil again, and it was still full. So that's when I considered the coolant levels. (Hey, I don't know a lot about cars, okay?) But I couldn't figure out how to check it. I saw that the canister was just transparent enough to see how full it was, but I couldn't be sure if what I was seeing was the coolant levels, or just dirt. Finally, I called Ty. After consulting with him for a few minutes he finally said: "I'll just come over there and see what's going on. Give me 20 minutes." (Luckily, his workplace is in the same area as where I was.) He came and determined that the coolant levels were indeed quite low, and we went inside and got some coolant and water to fix the problem. He then followed me home, just in case anything more sinister might be going on. Fortunately, there were no further issues, so we got home and went to lunch, since both the kids were in school at the time.
While at lunch, I found out that Ty had been having a pretty crappy day as well. So in calling him to come and rescue me and giving him the chance to leave work early, I had rescued him too. Yay Teamwork!
Anyway, yesterday wasn't as catastrophic as it could have been. Not by a long shot. But it was just filled with a whole lot of little, irritating, exasperating things happening in rapid succession that pretty much made it a really lousy day from the minute I decided to get out of bed.
Have you ever had one of those days?
Hit your head on the van door? The van needed 3 quarts of oil? Then it needed coolant? I see a pattern here.
ReplyDeleteThis is what you get for driving a van. :)
I keed. I had a day like that last week. My POS Audi, which had been running fine all summer, decided to give me that low coolant warning right as it hit -10 degrees. So I had to replace my thermostat in subarctic temperatures. It's running again... now that it's 50 degrees and no snow is in sight. Of course!
That Van is like Christine -- in her later family years.
DeleteHey! That's what Ty was saying when he noticed the coolant issues! It got really cold, really fast around here, hence the sudden problems. That's Mother Nature, messing with me again. You win this time, you crazy old broad!
DeleteVans have a place in this world. It isn't exactly a high place, but it is no less valued by moms who need plenty of room in which her kids can drop crumbs, lose socks and other various items, and poke and pinch each other in the back seat while she yells at them.
"Chiddlers" sounds like some kind of BBQ pork snack that comes in a shiny blue cellophane bag with bold yellow writing on it and a picture of a cartoon pig giggling because a honey bee is perched on its nose. Is that too eerily specific? The sad thing is that I may have even mentioned this before. Getting a real deja vu vibe right now.
ReplyDeleteNo, I'm pretty sure you've never actually said anything like that before. Although, now that you have said it, I don't think I'll ever forget it. I actually got the term "chiddlers" from one of my favorite childhood books, "The BFG." It's what the giants say when they're talking about...well...children. Just FYI.
DeleteThose childdlers need a lot of chivvying - how about getting a whistle like Captain von Trapp?
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, all chiddlers need a lot of chivvying. It is their way. However, the Captain VonTrapp whistle idea isn't too bad...
DeleteOh dear... a few "holiday words"? What? The TA who was lecturing didn't have enough material to fill the entire class time? I have never heard of such a thing. And you know I lecture for a living...
ReplyDeleteI hope today was a better day :)
Today was good, thanks. :)
DeleteAnd I learned the term "holiday words" from my little sister. She spent some time in South Carolina, where she learned the term from the locals. In case you hadn't surmised as much, it's another term to refer to cuss words.
Really? You've never heard of a TA who didn't prepare enough material? Are you being sarcastic? It's so hard to tell from a person's writing sometimes...
Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Very much so. :) Some teachers need to go back to school. Not enough material.... dear Lord. Not even in his (?) head?
Delete