Monday, January 13, 2014

My Son is Going Places...

So, the other night, as Ty and I were sitting in our recliners and winding down for the day, he tells me that as he was putting CT to bed, the boy started asking him questions. I was both amused and rather dumbfounded. Not so much by the number of questions my son was asking, but the KIND of questions he was asking. I keep forgetting how thorough he can be. I now present to you (and all the rest of the internet) a transcript of the conversation, as relayed to me by Ty:

CT: Dad? Do weddings cost money?

Ty: Yes.

CT: How much was Mommy?

Ty: I didn't pay for Mom, you don’t pay for your wife, you pay for the cake, the dress, the music, the dance hall…but you don’t pay for your wife.

CT: Was your wedding a lot of money?

Ty: Well, Mommy’s parents paid for our wedding.

CT: Oh really, why?

Ty: ‘Cause that’s the way it works. The wife’s parents pay for the wedding. So we’ll pay for AJ’s wedding, and whoever you marry, her parents will pay for your wedding.

CT: Oh really, why?

Ty: ‘Cause that’s just the way it works. The wife’s parents pay for the wedding. It’s tradition.

CT: Well, what if they don’t have that tradition?

Ty: It’s pretty much an all American thing.

CT: But what if I marry someone from Africa?


Ty: Then we’ll have to figure it out. Go to sleep.

Am I the only one that finds CT's ability to cover as many bases as possible in his questioning of a topic to be rather mind-boggling? He wants to make sure that every possible angle has been addressed before he moves on. This conversation could easily have gone on for at least another hour. Who knows how many other scenarios he could have come up with? 

9 comments:

  1. My kids liked to do that too at one point. Often until I had to confess I just didn't know. Now days I have the benefit of telling them to "google it" if I don't know the answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Google! Saving the necks of generations of clueless people for years. :)

      Delete
  2. Well, at least your son is open-minded and certainly doesn't hesitate to question WHY things are the way they are. :) I hope he remains with that curiosity!

    -Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an encouraging trait for my son to have. I have no doubt that if he wanted to, he could be the world's next Steve Jobs. :)

      Delete
  3. I wish that was the way it worked. I had to pay for my own wedding, because my wife's parents are poor. I wish we would have had CT around. He probably could have come up with the proper angle to address this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if you need to borrow him, just let me know. There is no end to his wisdom. I swear, that kid scares me sometimes. He is WAY too smart, and he has a very different way of looking at the world. Both good things, but intimidating for a parent. How do I cultivate that kind of potential, while preventing my son from becoming a super villain?

      Delete
  4. When Angie and me got married, her parents refused to attend our wedding. Why because I was a different shade of blue. And now they love me. Ironic, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. Winning over the in-laws can be a rather daunting prospect. But hey at least you managed to charm them in the end, right? :)

      Delete
    2. You betcha! "Oh my sweet son-in-law..." That kinda thing.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)