Sunday, February 9, 2014

Hey! Hey! Anyone There?...

Yes, it's been a while. Quite a while. Sorry about that. I got horribly, painfully ill for a couple of weeks, and then my daughter followed suit with an entirely different type of illness just as I was starting to study for the first exam in one of my classes. So...I have no excuses, really. My bad.

Anyhoo...I think I just might be one of those infuriating women who never knows what to say when she is (repeatedly) asked the question: "What do you want for Valentine's Day?" My mind just goes blank! I really can't think of anything at all!

But here's the good thing about me: I am NOT one of those women who says: "Oh, I really don't want anything. Don't worry about it..." And then she gets pissed off when her husband takes her at her word. I don't understand those women. I've never been the "mind game" type. I don't "test" my husband. I don't say one thing and mean something else entirely, and then get him in trouble when he fails to read my mind. (How dare he not be telepathic when I need him to be?!?) I don't know. I just don't get that way of thinking.

But now that I've gotten myself onto the subject of Valentine's Day, I feel that I should use this opportunity to talk about The Valentine's Day Chicken.

Oh yes, that's a real thing. In my family, anyway. I'll explain:

When I was growing up, Valentine's Day meant taking valentines to our friend's houses--leaving a treat on the doorstep, ringing the doorbell and then hiding until they opened the door, picked up the treat, and went back inside. In addition to this tradition, we would get "doorbell ditched" too. A nameless, mysterious being would always leave each child a card and a treat on the front doorstep.

But...one Valentine's Day, I don't even remember how old I was--probably in my teens or something, there was suddenly a name written on the tag that was affixed to the chocolates that were left at the door for us: "From, The Valentine's Day Chicken." I was a little surprised at first, and then I started laughing. My mom can be pretty random sometimes, but this was one of her classic moves. I didn't say anything at that moment, though, because my youngest brother and sister were still young enough to not know who was leaving the treats at the door.

From then on, every year, we got treats and a card from The Valentine's Day Chicken. Even now, that generous specimen of poultry is a treasured part of our year.

So, here's hoping your Valentine's Day will be fabulous. Filled with lots of chocolate, hugs and kisses, and great big chickens leaving stuff on your front doorstep! :)

9 comments:

  1. Now this is a tradition I can get behind. That's hilarious. The wife and I are kinda lazy with Valentine's Day, so we'll usually just stay in and cook something. We're both pretty strict with our diets, so we don't buy chocolates. Also, after I showed her this great standup bit about flowers, she can't take getting them as a gift seriously.

    "Flowers are a messed up gift if you think about it. It's like, here you go. Now watch these die. I feel like you should get these for your nemesis. Here you go. You're next." - Demetri Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I love Demitri Martin! He's hilarious! And he does have a point. Getting me a live plant is just as bad. "Here you go, try not to kill this one. " Pft! Give me a week!

      Delete
  2. The best gift that my wife and I can give each other for Valentines is to not have to get the other a gift. We both cherish this gift every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. That is truly the greatest gift of all. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm never asked what I'd like for Valentine's Day. Thanks for reminding me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's when you just go to the store and get yourself something pretty! :)

      Delete
    2. It's pretty pathetic, I know.

      Delete
    3. Not at all! It's liberating! :)

      Delete
    4. Ah! The glass is half full! I like that. You're always positive. Just like me, only different.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)