Me too!!!
I had to walk home with AJ and help Ty grab some tools so we could go back to the church to try and figure out what was going, release the brake and get the van home. He tried several different things, but in the end the approach that actually worked was taking a hammer to the parking brake pedal, banging on it until the thing popped up. Not exactly the most sophisticated method, but I call it a win.
Anyway...that was the really fun part of my day today. Now my biggest problem will be fighting against the deeply ingrained muscle memory that tells me to step down on that parking brake every time I turn off the van. At least until we can get the thing fixed. Ugh. Just add it to the list. Along with the door that I kicked a few weeks ago, ripping the screws right out of the wall and leaving gaping holes in the door frame...but that's another story...
I've been reading the "Divergent" series. It's pretty good, but I'm only halfway through the second book, with the third coming out in October (when I can't read it because I'll be in school, that one will have to wait until Christmas break). I've also been learning a new song on the guitar. It's an old Welsh tune, and it's very beautiful, but it's taking me some time to really get down the chord progression--it's a bit unusual. I've recently become more curious about Welsh culture and music since I found out that I my family has Welsh roots on my Dad's side. Interesting how learning more about where we come from can shape the way we view ourselves and shift our focus regarding the world around us.
The chiddlers are doing well, but I think they're getting restless. They're more listless and definitely more irritable, so I think it's pretty safe to say they're ready for a change-up, so I'm really very glad that school will be starting up again soon. One week from tomorrow, to be precise. And then AJ starts preschool a week after that. That's going to be weird, but very, very good I think. Summer's nice, but I'm looking forward to getting into a new routine.
Confession: I need to clean the house. The situation's getting scary. I've tried to keep up with the mess, but it's like fighting off a hurricane with a hand puppet. Oh well. Tomorrow is the day that I shall reclaim the house. I can at least clean the bathrooms, right? Maybe the kitchen? Wish me luck. Who knows what could be hiding under all these piles of clutter? I'll wear a hockey mask and wield a croquet mallet, just in case anything tries to attack me.
Alright, as you might have guessed, I really have nothing particularly profound, poignant, or powerful to say. (But you have to be impressed by my alliteration skills, right?) Therefore, I shall cease with this rambling and allow you to get back to your regularly scheduled programming. Or something like that...
I have managed to break a handbrake in my first car. That was a real pain so I kind of know what that is like.
ReplyDeleteKids the world over tend to get ratty at the end of long summer holidays. Boredom sets in no matter how you try to keep them entertained
Good to know my kids aren't the only ones. They're driving me batty!
Delete"Like fighting off a hurricane with a hand puppet" might be my favorite new phrase ever. Did you make that up?
ReplyDeleteAlso, that totally happened to me this weekend. Except I didn't go to church. And I don't own a van. And my car works fine. But it was eerily similar.
I did make up that phrase, actually. I'm rather proud of it. :)
Delete"Have you ever had one of those days where church is over..."
ReplyDeleteNope. Don't go to church, don't own a van, and I never use the parking break.
Am I a horrible person?
Nope. Not horrible. I know I hardly expected to own a van until the day I got one. Oh, and now that the handle is broken, I don't use the parking brake either! :D
DeleteOi I hope that you didn't have to walk too far. D= From what I understand of kids it's not unusual to have a house in a state of hurricane level destruction, in fact, I'm pretty sure that this is the norm. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh no. It's not a far walk at all. We're just usually running late, so walking to church is not really an option, time-wise...
DeleteYeah, kids pretty much make cleaning the house a real exercise in futility. Oh well. At least they're cute. :)
It came off in your hand?! That's crazy!
ReplyDeleteAnd Divergent has been on my list for the loooooongest time—so glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)