I think I may have mentioned before my two-year, exasperating struggle with a little jerk called iritis. It's the inflammation of the eyes. It's painful and annoying. When it's out of control, it threatens my vision--left unchecked--it can cause permanent damage. The usual treatment of this problem is an anti-inflammatory steroid eye drop. It is only meant to be used for a few weeks, at which point you are supposed to wean yourself off the drops and your eyes will return to normal. The drops work, they calm the inflammation, but it comes at a price. It messes with the pressure in your eyes, which can lead to glaucoma if left uncontrolled. These drops can also cause cataracts after a few years--and there's nothing that can be done about this.
For two years, I've gone to ophthalmologists for treatment of this problem. All they could do was check my eye pressures and keep refilling my steroid drops. I hate taking those things. I know how dangerous they are for my eyes if taken long-term. But every time I try to stop taking them altogether, my eyes will flare up again. And that's not even the most exasperating part of this whole thing!
NO, the most exasperating thing about the whole situation has been the fact that these doctors had no idea how to help me. They had no ideas for long-term treatment options. Oh sure, they ran some blood tests to check for underlying causes, but when those all came back negative they basically just shrugged their shoulders and said: "Eh. Whadderya gonna do? That'll be $100, not including the costs of the blood tests, x-rays, and CT scan. Oh, and here are your anti-inflammatory steroid drops that you really shouldn't be taking, but--you know--we have no other options to offer you."
Finally, after yet another exasperating encounter with my ophthalmologist, I was talking to Ty about the whole situation. I talked to him about how worried I am about my eyes and the fact that I'm pretty much staring down the very real possibility of vision loss within the next few years--with or without treatment.
Within minutes of this conversation, Ty jumped online and did some research. He found the one place, the one office in Utah where there is an actual iritis specialist. The next day, I had called my ophthalmologist and asked for a referral to this doctor. The doctor looked at the note my doctor sent him, and then sent me to his colleague, who is also a specialist in this ailment--saying he would be a better fit for my particular case. On Wednesday morning, I went and saw him for the first time.
From the moment this doctor stepped into the exam room, I could tell he was different. He looked me in the eyes when he talked to me. He listened to what I was saying, and took notes--taking my personal thoughts and experiences with iritis into account, rather than just nodding along while ignoring everything I said. THEN--now this was the craziest part for me--he started telling me about his PLANS for my treatment. He changed up my medications, adding a few and changing the doses on the steroid drops. Yes, I will still have to take them for a while, but maybe--just maybe--not forever. We're talking LONG-TERM treatment plans! Not just a little band-aid solution that would end up being worse for my eyes in the end.
OH! And then this guy started talking about possible causes for the inflammation, and dietary changes I can make to help reduce the problem. And he also told me that iritis usually just dies out at around the age of 42. I actually left that office with a spark of hope!
Aaahhh...It's amazing what happens when you visit a doctor that knows his stuff.
May you all enjoy your weekend. :)
Hooray that you have found a doctor who actually seems to care about getting you fixed.
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful and keeping my fingers crossed your condition improves quickly
Thanks Mynx. Me too! :)
DeleteOMG you poor thing! =( As you know I had a terrible eye infection and one of the complications was a bit of iritis--lights are a BITCH! I'm really happy that you found a doctor who gives you a bright (in a good way) outlook. =)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I feel like a vampire sometimes, because even the slightest light will mess with my eyes when the inflammation isn't under control. Ick! I wouldn't wish this ailment in anyone,
DeleteI'm really starting to hope for good things with this doctor. Keep your fingers crossed! :)
It's amazing what difference a good doctor can make. It's also amazing to me that some doctors can still just see people as numbers. "Well, this is patient #17, don't know how to help her. Take some Advil, don't die in the next week... NEXT."
ReplyDeleteIt really is very nice when you come across one of those good doctors, even if it does take two years to get there. :)
DeleteGeez, good luck. I'd hate to have to face the prospect of anything happening to my vision. Very scary thought. I'm glad, though, that you've found a doctor who seems to be putting you on the right track. Good, competent doctors, who actual seem to put some real thought and interest into their patients and their cases are a far too rare these days. Ugggghhhh. Believe me. I know.
ReplyDeleteIt is pretty scary to think about how this whole thing can tuen out. I'm just so glad I have access to a specialist like this. It's very promising, and reassuring.
Delete**turn**
DeleteI am so on board team Find a Good Doctor it's ridiculous. I've met some real jerk doctors. Finding a good doctor should be like finding your significant other. Once I had a good—no, GREAT—doctor. Then he died. And I haven't found a good once since.
ReplyDeleteErm. Other than Derrick.
Good save, Nicki. Good save.
I agree. That was indeed a very good save. ;)
DeleteAlso? Because I'm a self-centered jerk? COMPLETELY FORGOT to say that's wonderful that you're heading down a real path to treatment! I'm so glad you're taking care of this instead of listening to the bozo doctor just telling you to put a band-aid on it. Way to take control of your own health — that's something that SO few people do. And they need to do.
ReplyDeleteYou're not a self-centered jerk.
DeleteI'm glad Ty took the initiative to make the phone calls and get me started in the right direction. He's good at looking out for me like that. :)