It's high time you all learned something very important about me. This isn't easy for me to admit, because I've been in denial for years.
I'm a...book pusher. (Covers face with hands, and turns away.)
That's right. If you come to my house asking me to recommend a good book, I will take you into my basement, pull you over to my overflowing book shelves, and immediately start loading your arms with books.
Victorian classics. Alexandre Dumas. Mark Twain. Roald Dahl. Dan Brown. Orson Scott Card. Even a few books that aren't particularly well-written, but are still fun to read. Every book that comes across my hands that I've read and enjoyed, I will gladly shove into your hands and insist that you read them all.
I will always take into account what I know of your personal taste, and use it to guide my selections, but it's pretty much impossible to leave that basement without AT LEAST half a dozen books. And THAT'S only if you stop me before I can push any more on you.
This is something that my sister, MN, has learned in all her years of being related to me (as well as a fellow bookworm.) She knows that if she comes to me and asks to borrow a book, she will NOT be disappointed. She just expects me to get that manic glint in my eye and basically start throwing dozens of books at her. She loves it.
However my youngest sister, Nel, has never experienced this side of me before a few weeks ago. She and MN asked me if they could borrow some books, so I brought them both into my basement. I was in a flurry of excitement, because there are SO MANY wonderful books that Nel has never read before!!! She was new blood!
I think I may have frightened her a bit. I barely noticed how wide her eyes were getting as I kept adding more and more books to her ever-growing pile. MN, being a veteran of my literary lunacy, (and having a large book pile of her own to deal with) finally had to step in and say, "I think she's got enough to keep her busy for a while, Candice."
I slowed down, hesitantly coming out of my mania. I led my sisters upstairs, wondering if I could just run back down and grab a few more books...but I resisted. I knew that I had done well, though. Both of my sisters were practically stumbling under the weight of the books I had found for them. Yep. I did good.
Ahhhh...the joy of book pushing. It's an addiction, but an oh-so-enjoyable one.
So now you know. You have been warned.
However, if you're in the area, and you're feeling brave enough, feel free to drop by.
Just make sure to return the books once you've finished reading them. :)
And yet I don't know ENOUGH book pushers. I love people like this. See, I read a lot, so when I get done with my current reading pile, I have to look around for books on my own. I'd rather just have them pushed upon me. :)
ReplyDeleteWe seem to be a dwindling breed. Sad, really.
DeleteIf you need some book recommendations, I may be able to help you out. Just be prepared for the onslaught! :)
OH MY GOD I'M SUCH A BOOK PUSHER. We seriously MAILED a copy of The Hunger Games to Derrick's sister in order to force her into reading it. I could make lists for people. I'm trying to book push for Derrick, but it's really hard because he's read a total of 2 series now for fun (his idea of "reading for fun" is medical journals and textbooks, so we're working on this) and I don't have a good grasp on his preferences yet (other than, y'know, MEDICAL JOURNALS AND TEXTBOOKS).
ReplyDeleteI'm also a recipe pusher. I know. I know. No one likes a know-it-all foodie. It's a problem. But Candice, there's just this amazing soup recipe that you've GOT to try....
I KID! I KID!
Nicki, I KNEW you and I would be kindred spirits in this!
DeleteHas Derrick tried reading "Ender's Game"? It's a whole series, and my husband really likes it. He's the type that reads history books for fun and dean't read a lot of fiction, so that's saying something. I also recommend Dan Brown's books, they're interesting and enjoyable to read as well.
See? I can't stop myself!!!
I tend to give books as gifts. It usually works out pretty good.
ReplyDeleteA good book is pretty much the best gift EVER!!! :)
DeleteI asked a friend if i could borrow a book one time, she has shelves and shelves of them but she turned a little pale, started to shake and quickly changed the subject. I think she may be the opposite of you.
ReplyDeleteI however, will happily lend books after I have read them. I like them back but I can never remember who I lent them too so it tends to be an honour system
I am pretty good about knowing who has my books, they're very precious to me, but I still love to spread the joy. That's the whole point of having books, to share them! :)
DeleteI tend to forget who I lend things to. Do you have my Firefly DVDs?
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll push my book when it gets published maybe one day. :)
Sorry, can't help you with the Firefly DVD's, but I'll gladly push your book once it's published! :)
DeleteI LOVE book pushers!!! I wish you lived closer so that you could push some books on ME! So what do you recommend for me, darlin'? I love Fantasy/Sci-Fi (like I'm just about to start "Soulless" and loved "The Hunger Games" for a reference of the kind of Fantasy I dig), but I'm really open to ANYTHING that you think is worth the peep. =)
ReplyDeleteOoohhh! A new victim!!! Okay, this is going to take some thought.
DeleteOkay, so if you enjoy Suzanne Collins' work, I recommend her first series, starting with "Gregor he Overlander." These books are definitely aimed at a younger audience, but they are really entertaining. And they're a really fast read. I think I got through all 5 books in 2 weeks. (That's with the schedule of a mom with two kids.)
I also recommend Orson Scott Card. His stuff is pretty different. Try "Ender's Game." It's more Sci Fi, but I liked it. I also really liked his books, "Enchantment" and "Empire."
If you want other options, let me know, but there are a few recommendations for you. Good luck! :)