Saturday, July 14, 2012

I'm Melting!!!...MELTIIINNNG...!!!

So...this Tuesday was Ty's Summer work party at Lagoon. We went last year, and it was super fun, despite the fact that my evil Teva sandals decided to turn on me. They blistered the bottoms of my feet!!! I had to throw them away, banishing them for their disloyalty.

I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive about this year's Lagoon day. The weather here in Utah has been unbearably hot, and Tuesday's weather was only going to be hotter. Ick.

Now, there's something you should know about me if you don't already: I. Do. NOT. Do. Well. In. The Heat.

At all.

Seriously, anything over 85 degrees Fahrenheit will make me feel like that Nazi at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when he opened the Ark of the Covenant. Not okay. So of course the hottest day of the year thus far is the day I will be outside at an amusement park all day long. Figures.

HOWEVER, I decided ahead of time that I was going to say "Screw you" to Mother Nature and make the most of the day. That's right, I was going to have fun and no amount of crazy heat was going to stop me!!!

As she is too young to go on any of the rides at Lagoon, AJ spent the day at my mom's house. My little sister (henceforth to be known as "Nel"), took AJ's ticket and came with us to the park. When we got to Lagoon, we found the pavilion that Ty's company had reserved for the big party and got some lunch. Then we started the big trek around the park.

CT had the time of his life, as he is now tall enough to go on most of the best rides at Lagoon. We went from one end of the park to the other, taking note of everyone's favorite rides so we could do the whole park and then re-do the best ones later.

I am proud to say that, due to my intense mental preparation, I did very well in spite of the heat. I was cheerful and had a ton of fun. Our group made sure to visit the party pavilion several times. We got water, snow cones, and anything else we needed to get some relief from the heat of the day before going back out to enjoy more of the park.

Once we'd finished our first round of the park, and were starting our second time through our favorite rides when I started to feel...not quite right. My head was feeling heavy, but I ignored it an went on two more rides. This was a mistake. With every upside down turn of the roller coaster, with every sharp turn on the track, I felt even more dizzy and started seeing spots before my eyes.

We were in line for another ride when I kind of hit a wall. I couldn't stand up straight anymore, my head was spinning and aching. I was nauseated, but not with motion sickness. My heart was racing, and I felt completely winded, as though I'd been sprinting across the park, rather than walking.

Ty noticed that I wasn't doing well. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head, "I don't feel very well at all."

Ty was worried now, "Is it heat stroke or something?" (He knows how badly I do in extreme heat.)

I shook my head, "No, I don't think so. I just need to sit down."

Since CT REALLY wanted to go on the ride with his dad, Nel volunteered to stay with me. We found a bench in the shade, and I started to feel a little less terrible. I sat out for the next couple of rides, and then we all headed back to the pavilion for the raffle drawing that Ty's company has every year.

I sat in the shade and sipped Coca Cola. It settled my stomach, cooled me down a bit, and the caffeine helped with my headache. After the drawing started, Nel got a text message from Mom, reminding her about a service project she was supposed to be helping with that night. Mom offered to come and get Nel, since Ty had to stay for the drawing and it was going to take a while.

Ty turned to me, "Do you want to go with her? You can get cooled off and rest, and CT and I can stay and go on a few more rides before we come home."

I liked that idea, so I walked out of the park with Nel, and Mom came and picked us up. I told her about how I hadn't been feeling well and she got worried. "Do you think it was heat stroke? It got up to 103 today!"

Okay, question: Why do people instantly go to heat stroke? I'm pretty sure it was a simple case of heat exhaustion, but that's hardly the same thing, is it?

I gathered up AJ and all of her stuff and Mom took us home. When she dropped us off, Mom kept asking: "Are you sure you're OK? You just call me if you need anything." My mom is so freaking awesome.

I assured her I would be alright, but promised to let her know if I wasn't.

When I walked inside our house, I heaved a sigh of relief. Oh that glorious, GLORIOUS air conditioner!!! I was in heaven!

I took AJ to her crib and gave her some toys and books to keep her busy while I took a shower. When I got out of the shower, Ty called.

"Hey, do you know anyone who needs a 32" flat screen TV?"

Yep, he won the biggest prize in the drawing! He came home just long enough to drop it off, and then he and CT went back to Lagoon to finish out the evening.

I have to give Ty some big Dad Kudos here. When he dropped off that TV, he was clearly, visibly exhausted. But he had promised CT that they would go back to the park, and he kept that promise. Yeah, he's the best.

I had some dinner, put AJ to bed, and tried to wind down from the day. I couldn't sit still, though. I tidied up the house, did the dishes, and waited for my boys to come home. When they did, I immediately got CT into the shower and put him to bed while Ty got all cleaned up.

It was a crazy day, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

But...can someone talk to Mother Nature and somehow convince her to put out a few clouds for the sun to hide behind that day? That would be great, thanks.

12 comments:

  1. Here in Colorado it's been almost solidly 100 degrees for the past 1 month straight. It's insane. Birds just explode in mid air. Not from heat stroke, of course, but just heat exhaustion. We could use a few clouds here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, being next-state neighbors, our weather is bound to be pretty similar.

      I'm not usually very morbid, but I'm kind of curious about what a bird exploding in midair would look like...

      Oh, and I'm pretty sure that spontatenous combustion is a symptom of heat stroke, not heat exhaustion. :p

      Delete
  2. It can be pretty easy to get dehydrated when you are out in that sort of heat all day.
    Add in a bit of adrenaline from the rides and no wonder you felt sick.
    Sounds like you did the smart thing by getting out of the sun and going home early

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a ridiculously hot day! I'm glad I went home a bit early too. It took me some time, but I recovered. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, I could use a flat screen TV. Or were you going to keep it after all?

    I hate the heat, too. (probably told you that last year) It's the very reason I don't go to amusement parks--or any parks, really--very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end, we decided to give the TV to my parents as a thank you for all the free baby-sitting they do for us, especially since we've been back in school.

      Yeah, sometimes I wonder why I live in Utah. I mean, it's a freaking desert, it's going to get hot in the Summer. Maybe I should move to the remote areas of Northern Canada...

      Or not... :)

      Delete
  4. I jump right to heat stroke because I'm dramatic like that. And OMG I do not fair well in extreme heat either. Even if I'm mentally like 'okay I can handle this', my body says 'no you can't bee-otch' and I'll pass out.

    Glad that you had fun with AJ though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only wimp out there. ;)

      Heat stroke does sound a lot more interesting and dramatic, doesn't it? Next time, I'll totally own up to it and let myself be fussed over a bit. :)

      Delete
  5. sounds like an exciting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erm...I live with a doctor and I don't know the difference between heat exhaustion or heat stroke or...y'know...just being really, really hot. I'm guessing heat stroke is Really Bad with Capital Letters. But I'm glad you survived (I wouldn't have...heat and I do NOT get along) AND won a TV for your parents! Best daughter ever? Best daughter ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one who has to pretty much guess what e differences between those ailments might be.

      My parents certainly deserve that TV, whether I'm the best daughter ever or not. But I would say I'm in the running. :)

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)