Friday, July 29, 2011

A Brief Review of "Cowboys and Aliens"...

When I saw the first preview, I believe my thoughts ran along these lines: "What the crap? What a stupid concept for a movie! Have they seriously become THAT desperate for movie topics that they've just started mashing up random genres by drawing them out of a hat?" You know, something like that. Let's just say that "Cowboys and Aliens" was NOT on my list of "must see" Summer films.
As I've watched the previews for this movie over the last few months, I've grown increasingly curious, but still not really all that interested. However, when Ty suggested tonight that we find a babysitter for the kids and go see "Cowboys and Aliens", I jumped at the chance. I didn't object to the idea of seeing that particular movie and come on, one-on-one date nights for Ty and me are few and far between these days.

So we called my mom, who graciously agreed to watch the kids for a couple of hours. I sat down in my seat at the theater with few expectations for this film.

I find that that is the key to enjoying most movies: Don't go in with any expectations whatsoever, good or bad. Just sit in your seat with an open mind, and let yourself be entertained. (Admittedly, there are still going to be some movies that just suck, no matter how open minded you try to be. So take this piece of advice with a grain of salt.)
Anyway...as I watched this movie with my mind wide open and my mouth full of Raisinets, I found myself enjoying it. The plot was interesting, the acting was excellent, and there was enough action to keep the story moving but not so much that I was completely freaked out by it. It was a very good movie.
Overall, I'd say "Cowboys and Aliens" is definitey worth seeing at least once. Ty and I have no plans to rush out and buy the Blu-Ray when it becomes available, but it was enjoyable and entertaining. And, just for the record, I think the ending easily lends itself to being a decent set up for a sequel, so keep your eyes and ears open for "Cowboys and Aliens 2"!
I won't describe the details of the movie to you, for fear of spoilers. However, I will say this for those of you that are curious: Think "Independence Day" with horses and cowboy hats.

And there you have it. If you're looking for an entertaining movie to go and see this week, "Cowboys and Aliens" is a pretty darn good choice.
Happy Friday! :)

13 comments:

  1. I'm still in the "what the crap?" stage on that one. I hope to move on eventually to "Bargaining" and finally to "Acceptance". I might go see it, though.

    (At least your mouth wasn't open and your mind full of Raisinets. I kept picturing it backwards like that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the boys have been asking me to drive them to the theater to see this. I'm feeling a bit like you were..."Cowboys and what?"

    But I'll give it a go, and keep an open mind. Anything with Harrison Ford can't be all that bad ;)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for a movie called Cowboys and Aliens it sounded curiously restrained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan: Yeah, I probably would have stayed in the "What the crap?" phase for a while longer if I hadn't actually gone to see it. I dearly hope that you will one day be able to accept this odd, but somehow enjoyable, mash-up of movie genres.

    (Yeah, I'm glad the Raisinets were in my mouth rather than torturing my mind with their chocolatey deliciousness...) :)

    Elliot: I hope you'll enjoy it. Harrison Ford does give a pretty darn good performance. Of course there can be no surprises there, right? :)

    Drake: Restrained? Honestly, I'm hoping you'll go see it and write one of your famous reviews. What do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...I frankly thought it looked pretty dumb.

    However, I do love Independence Day. (Bill Pullman AND Will Smith and Jeff Goldbloom? Who could resist!) If this is similar I'll probably give it a chance. But with low expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually only do them for really good or really bad movies. Cowboys and Aliens was in-between. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard it was based off a popular graphic novel...I actually want to see it for pure, nonsensical "Snakes on a Plane-esque" fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to see that the first time I saw a preview. Of course, I liked when they started re-publishing old books with vampire and zombie twists, too.

    My first response to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was "Why didn't I think of that?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chanel: I loved Independence Day too! Personally I liked it better than this one, but Cowboys and Aliens just struck me as being a similar storyline. I'm not sayin it's the BEST movie out there, but it's definitely entertaining.

    Drake: I guess I'll have to make do then. Sigh...

    Nicki: I heard that too! I didn't know until after I'd seen it, but still...

    You'd probably enjoy it. Like I said, just go with no expectations whatsoever and you'll be fine.

    Doug: I've never read the zombie books, but I confess that I'm impressed that you liked them so much. I wonder if they'll make movies out of those?...

    Anyway, if you haven't seen this movie yet, I hope you will soon. It's pretty entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen it, will wait for DVD, but I thought the premise sounded interesting. What's wrong with a little genre mashup? How will cowboys fight technologically advanced aliens with horses and a six-shooter? they won't have the advantage of Apple computers that can send viruses into the alien mainframe.

    BTW, they are making the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brent: This genre mash-up actually did work pretty well. You'll be fine waiting for the DVD. One thing I will say, I don't know HOW those cowboys lived without iPads, iPods, and i--everything else. It definitely puts them at a disadvantage against those aliens!

    They ARE making that movie? I've never even read the book, but now I might have to try it. Craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is pretty much one note done over and over. But still fun. Worth reading if you like Austen AND zombies. And who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Austen and zombies put together though? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)