Monday, July 11, 2011

Brace Yourself!!! [Again]...

I posted this rant before most of you read my blog. Now you all get to endure its awesomeness again, because I'm still pissed off at the morons in Kit Kat's advertising department. Pull it together Kit Kat!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, I started a little rant about this on facebook, but that tiny status update wasn't very satisfying so...here we go.

I am sick and tired of commercials where I am forced to listen to the nauseating sounds of people eating. The most prominent culprits on the radar right now: Kit Kat, Light & Fit, and Dairy Queen.

I remember Kit Kat's commercials from the 90's. Happy people running around, singing that "Gimme a break" song. That wasn't annoying, in fact it's one of the most memorable candy bar jingles ever. Now, some schmuck at their advertising firm thought: "Hey I know what we can do, let's take our famous jingle and use the sounds of people chewing and smacking their lips as instruments." Morons! All this commercial makes me want to do is change the channel, hit the fast forward button on the DVR, or mute the sound altogether. Because of this stupid commercial, I cringe every time I look at a Kit Kat bar. Gimme a break, people! Seriously!

The Light & Fit commercial is just as bad, and less clever. It shows two women sitting in a room. Apparently, they're strangers to each other. One of them is humming and slurping on a cup of prominently displayed Light & Fit yogurt, like a freaking toddler--no, toddlers are more sophisticated--it's more like a St. Bernard. The other woman looks over and expresses her surprise at the number of calories in the yogurt. I don't care that that cup of yogurt supposedly has less calories than any other, all I can think about is how annoying that woman/St. Bernard is. No thanks, Light & Fit.

Dairy Queen is also doing something stupid with their advertising these days. Now, I've enjoyed a Blizzard or two in my lifetime, but these commercials have ruined them for me. There's some crazy family that's driving around, tailgating a Blizzard truck. Most of the commercials haven't been too bad, until now. In these commercials, this family has parked their van to sleep for the night. For whatever reason, their teenage kids are able to fall asleep with frozen dairy treats in their hands, so the parents lean their seats back and start eating their kids' Blizzards. Not only am I forced to listen to them smacking and slurping on the ice cream, they're also talking with their mouths full. Really? This is supposed to make me want to go out and buy a Blizzard? What are these people on, anyway?

What can I say? I am appalled. Am I the only one, though? Is it just me that gets so annoyed by these commercials that I refuse to even entertain the idea of wasting money on the products they advertise? Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I've got to stick it to the man somehow, right?

13 comments:

  1. Loud eaters are incredibly annoying and right up there with teeth suckers. Why any ad executives would want to make a commercial featuring gross and disgusting behavior is rather perplexing. ...Right now I'm about fed up with all of the commercials that feature loud and obnoxious screaming (people yelling loudly at each other, screaming over spiders, amusement park rides, etc) Enough already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Empress: Thank You!!! I KNEW I wasn't crazy for feeling this way! Obnoxiousness is NOT the right way to sell stuff, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a thing I think in advertising that if you have no better idea, make a commercial so annoying it is memorable. you will hate it, bitch about it but the brand will stick in your head. We have plenty of screamers and chewers and stupid adds but for some reason the product still sells.
    Doesnt mean i buy though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mynx: I guess that makes sense. "Be as annoying as possible. They'll hate you, but they'll remember you!" Rude!

    Funny commercials are the ones that I prefer. They stick in your head, and they're entertaining. They should do more of those. Let's start a petition or something...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't actually watch regular TV, so I don't endure the commercials.

    I like the kit kat commercials that make the jingle with the sound of the people breaking the bar, though, and the first bite when they crunch. But no lip smacking or anything. That's just freakin' gross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chanel: Yeah, I don't watch TV that hasn't been DVR'ed very often anymore. Why endure commercials when I can just fast forward through them all? Exactly!

    Lip smacking is definitely gross. It just makes my skin crawl! I can't even stand to listen to other people kissing. It grosses me out. (Yeah, I know I'm crazy, but sometimes I just can't help it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a thing: Early on in The Simpsons, they used to have the family eating way fast while they soundtrack supplied slurping and masticating noises. It was supposed to be funny. They only did that in just a few episodes because they realized what these commercials haven't yet: it's not funny.

    Building Castles on the Beach

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brent: Knowing this information makes me glad that I didn't watch The Simpsons until later seasons. At least they figured it out. I'm starting to wonder if these ad companies will ever get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually find the crunch of a Kitkat or Honey Nut Cheerio appetizing, but slurping is definitely out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doug Cheese for PrezJuly 12, 2011 at 7:02 AM

    Remind me, if I ever eat in your presence, to chew and slurp my food as loudly as possible. Should be entertaining watching your reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drake: Slurping will always be out. No matter what. Crunching isn't quite so bad, but it still sets my teeth on edge.

    Doug: Silly Presidential Candidate. Why would I remind you to do that?

    Although I will say that when it comes to people eating loudly in my presence, I'm WAY too polite to say anything about it. I'll usually just sit there and endure it, grinding my teeth and shooting death glares at them the whole time. Either that, or I'll come up with some reason to leave the freaking room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe, Chanel is so loyal she followed you twice. Maybe there's a glitch in the widget.

    As for the advertising, there was a trend for a while, I think it was in the late 90's, where companies kept showing their food in these disgusting situations. The basic idea was supposed to be that people loved the product so much that they would go to revolting lengths to eat it. The effect was, though, that it just made the product look gross. There was one where some lady was sucking salsa off some guy's shirt, and other one where she was eating it from between her toes. There was a Raisin Bran commercial where this guy had his jaw wired shut so his friend put the milk and cereal in a blender. At the end the guy says "thanks" with this gross sucking sound.

    The worst had to be Quiznos. They had a whole campaign of these ads. There was one where a dog gets a hold of the sub and it's got it on the floor tearing it up and slobbering all over it, as dogs do. A guy comes along, shoos the dog away, and then scoops up what's left of the sandwich in this huge mess and starts eating it. Uggghhh, I haven't eaten Quiznos since. What were these people thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bryan: Yep. Chanel is that loyal. She rocks.

    As for those commercials, EEEWWWW!!! Seriously, what are these people thinking? They're nuts. It's official. They're all fired. They'll be getting that pink slip any day now...

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)