Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Terminology to Add to Your Vocabulary...

I thought I'd write an educational post this evening. Yep. You're welcome.

Over the years, Ty and I have collected our own terms for describing different age groups of people that are younger than we are. Some of these names have been inspired by others, some we have come up with on our own.

Now, most of you have probably been horribly annoyed by teenagers, "tweens", and pre-tweens. Yeah, me too. Especially at the mall. *Shudder*

Tonight's vocabulary lesson will include the terms that Ty and I use to describe these different stages of adolescence.
1) Teenagers: That's right. This group gets to keep their widely accepted term. There's just no other way to describe them. The people in this group include anyone from the ages of 15 to 19, for obvious reasons.

2) Teeny-Boppers: Another familiar term, I believe. This term covers anyone in the age range of 12 to 14. That's right, the Junior High years. Probably the worst years of anyone's life. I know I HATED everything about Junior High. It's a nightmare. Being an adult that has to deal with a large number of Teeny-Boppers on a regular basis has probably created more alcoholics and drug addicts than I can count. **Note: If you're unsure whether you're being confronted with a Teenager or a Teeny-Bopper, look around for any sign of what I like to call "Bieber-phernalia" (This of course refers to any article of clothing or other accessory that contains the image or name of Justin Bieber.) If yes, it's a Teeny-Bopper. If not, it's a Teenager.**

3) Itty-Bitty Boppers: This term is known mostly to Ty and myself. I made it up, in reference to all those little critters between the ages of 8 and 11. They're not quite to the annoying-ness of Teeny-Boppers, because puberty hasn't really started yet. They're just old enough to be somewhat independent, but young enough that most of them will still listen to an authority figure if sufficiently threatened.

4) Fraggle-Rockers: This is another original. My big sister HJ came up with it. It was years ago, one afternoon when Ty and I were talking about Teeny-Boppers and Itty-Bitty Boppers. Out of the blue, she just chimed in with: "And then there are those Fraggle-Rockers!" We laughed, and adopted the term. Not only does it refer to the oh-so fabulous 80's kids' show entitled "Fraggle Rock", it's also the perfect way to describe the youngest set of kids on this list. That's right. Fraggle-Rocker is the term to be used in reference to kids between the ages of 4 and 7. My own son is a Fraggle-Rocker. He rocks. Like a Fraggle. Hence the term: "Fraggle-Rocker". These kids are still cute and funny. Well...most of them, anyway.

(The age groups before "Fraggle-Rockers" include "Toddlers" and "Infants". I think most of you have heard of those, right?)

So there you have it. Hopefully I have been able to leave you all with some inspiring words of wisdom...or at least a shred of random, useless knowledge.

Either way, you're all welcome.

No need to thank me, really.

But you can if you'd like.

20 comments:

  1. I'll have to try some of these out in conversation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't you heard? Justin Bieber is the Kurt Cobain of his generation.

    Just kidding. He said that, but I don't believe it. Although I have to say he can rock a Lady Gaga song and it sounds so much better than ACTUAL Gaga.

    I especially like the Fraggle Rockers. Padawan was one when he was a kid. I wasn't, but I didn't like anything with puppets/muppets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George: You'll have to let me know how that goes over. I'm glad I could make a difference in your life. :)

    Chanel: Comparing Justin Bieber to Kurt Cobain is like comparing Doris Day to Elvis. There IS NO COMPARISON!!! To be honest, I'm not particularly familiar with that kid's music. I'm mainly just annoyed by how inescapable his face/name is at the moment. It's a little frightening.

    Yeah, Fraggle Rockers are my favorites too. I'm typically not into puppet stuff either, but I LOVED the Muppets. They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Fraggle Rock...down in Fraggle Rock! Good times. Though the trash heap freaked me out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie: It's nice to find a fellow Fraggle Fan. When I was a kid, I hoped I'd run into one of those colorful, furry critters someday...I wonder where they are now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a secret love for Justin Bieber that has become not so secret. He's just so stinking adorable. Plus when my students sing his songs, I want to shoot myself less than when they sing a Miley Cyrus selection. All about perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I didn't say it. He said it about himself. Something like, "I feel like the Kurt Cobain of my generation. But nobody understands me."

    There's a funny little comic about it floating around the Internet. It's got a picture of Justin saying that.

    And then there's a picture of Cobain and he's saying, "I felt like the Justin Bieber of my generation, so I killed myself."

    Which made me laugh. Poor Bieber. He's very poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Jenna: I won't judge you for loving the Bieber. I will admit that he's got that innocent, baby-faced cutie-pie thing going. It's hard to resist, I'm sure. :)

    Chanel: Justin Bieber must have a pretty high opinion of himself, saying he's like Kurt Cobain. That, or he's already super-depressed and suicidal and was making a plea for help. Hopefully it's just the former of those two options. As I admitted to Ms Jenna, he's adorable in his way. I'm just kind of tired of seeing that baby-face attempting to smolder at me every time I turn a corner.

    PS: "Poppy?" What does that mean? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like there's pop...

    And then there's poppy. Poppy is like pop on steroids...he sings silly, stuck in your head pop nonsense that is all cotton candy and lollipops and sugar covered gummy bears. It's the complete opposite of Cobain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chanel: Aha! Got it! Now you've taught me something new! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good list. Keep up the good work and you'll have a "Don't Suck Award" in no time. You can help your chances my mailing me those applesauce cookies. Not a recipe. Actual cookies. And can you get them here by lunch?

    P.S. Your next writing assignment is a list for people older than you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so with you on the itty-bitty boppers! They're wearing HSMusical t-shirts and listening to KidzBop...it alarms me...BUT you were right. There is no worse time in a kid's life than the teeny-bopper stage. I am half-annoyed by them and half-sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doug: I'm all aflutter! A "Don't Suck Award" is THE honor of the century! I'll see what I can do about getting those cookies to you by lunch. No guarantees, though.

    I'll keep that writing assignment in mind. We'll see what I come up with...

    Nicki: I feel sorry for the Teeny-Boppers too. That stage of life is THE most awkward, emotionally charged mess!!! But, my sympathy doesn't keep me from being oh so irritated by their endless attitude. I mean, I know Teenagers think they know everything, but Teeny-Boppers are even worse. They still think they know everything, but they actually know even less than Teenagers! Poor, conflicted little creatures...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, Fraggle Rockers, classic.

    I only have one convenient group for everyone below the age of 18 – chavs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drake: Welcome! It probably keeps things nice and simple having just one category to put them into. Oh well. This system works too, so now people can choose whatever suits them best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I notice your comments in other blogs, so I'm checking you out. And I give your blog a big Neato.
    I love the Fraggle Rockers term, but wonder if it describes more about the adults using it than the kids being referred to. How many kids these days watch Fraggle Rock? I mean, my daughters did and I'll make sure my son does, but the term doesn't seem as apt as the term "poppy" is to describe certain pop musicians. Thanks to Chanel.
    It Just Got Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brent: Welcome! And thanks for the "Neato"! I'm honored! :)

    I like the Fraggle Rockers term, too. However, I do agree that the term is mainly to be appreciated by the grown-ups rather than the kids themselves. I don't think my son would even know what Fraggle Rock was! Maybe I should follow your example and ensure that my kids are properly indoctrinated in the GOOD TV shows that we all grew up with. I'd be doing them a HUGE favor, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure how I missed this post, I am sorry.
    We would call the 8-11yr olds "Tweenies" not quite teens, but still with the attitude

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always wary of Beeny boppers because they are so fucking annoying that I'm afraid that they won't grow out of their obnoxious behaviour and end up in another group that I call "zombie fodder".

    Fraggle rockers is brilliance.~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katsidhe: Welcome!

    Yeah, they're pretty irritating, those Teeny-Boppers. I like the idea of keeping them around as "Zombie Fodder", though. That's freaking hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)