Saturday, March 19, 2011

Give My Regards...

That's right. I have returned from that fabulous trip with my dear Ty. We got back last night.
"But Candice," You're probably thinking, "we've all been dying to know WHERE you went for this fabulous vacation! Oh, do tell. Please?"

To that I say: "Well...alright then."
Ty and I went to a little, barely known town back East. It's a charming place, filled with people, and beautiful architecture. It is a place of fast-paced living and overflowing with history. It is also the home of the most famous musical theater productions in the country.

That's right! We went to New York, people! It was SOOO fantastic! I loved everything about Manhattan, Broadway, and Times Square. I loved the restaurants, the people, and the endless shopping. The musicals, the lights...the sheer beauty of it all was nearly overwhelming! I loved every minute I spent in New York. I felt at home from the moment I stepped foot on those somewhat dirty, uneven sidewalks. LOVED IT!!!

Okay, now that the initial rant of love and adoration is over...I will move on.
I've decided to break down our time in New York day by day, over several posts. Mainly, I do this so that none of my fabulous readers will lose interest in the epically long post that would ensue and run far, far away. That would be so sad...

Anyhoo...
The night before we left town, Ty and I spent our weekly Sunday evening at my parents' house. We had our usual dinner and everything, but with one HUGE difference: When we left that night, our kids didn't come with us. We put them to bed at their grandparents' house, (where they would be staying for the rest of the week while we were out of town) and then went home to pack and make other such final preparations for departure the next morning.

Monday morning, I woke up at around 5:30 (Ick!) and took a shower. Once Ty and I were both dressed and ready, we went out onto the driveway to wait for my Dad, who had very generously agreed to drive us to the airport. Our flight left at 8:30 am.

We landed in New York at aroud 3:30 (NY time), and took the shuttle to our hotel. We went inside, got our things unpacked, and then ventured out into the city. Our hotel was located LITERALLY around the corner from Times Square. After some walking around, we went to the local Hard Rock restaurant. It was very full, and after we'd put our names on the waiting list, we ventured off to see what kind of legendary musical paraphernalia Times Square was in possession of. I was not disappointed.

They had PAUL FREAKING MCCARTNEY'S BASS GUITAR!!! I just about flipped my lid when I saw it!!!

They were also in possession of: Ringo Starr's drum set, the Beatles' famous grey suits (Which can sort of be seen behind me in the above picture), and...the icing on the cake: THE ORIGINAL DOORS TO THE ABBEY ROAD RECORDING STUDIO!!! (Yes, yes that IS my hand on this oh-so historic and epically fabulous doorknob!)

Oh, and dinner was good too, in case you were wondering...
After dinner, we spent the rest of the evening walking around Times Square. I was awestruck by how bright everything was. It should have been quite dark by the time we got out of Hard Rock, but it looked like it was still early evening because of all the neon lights and the jumbo-trons! Loved it!

There was a bit of a crowd gathering around the center of the Square because...there was a movie being shot, while we were there. (Apparently, the film is called "New Year's Eve" and the cast is pretty impressive. You can look it up on imdb, if you're interested. We actually SAW Ashton Kutcher while we were there. I didn't take a picture, but we did see him.)
We went back to the hotel sometime around midnight, and...well...we fell asleep. Passed out, really. With the time difference, and the fact that we'd been travelling all freaking day long, we were spent, and we slept until well into the next morning...
(A report on Tuesday's events will be included in the next post. Stay tuned!)

11 comments:

  1. this sounds totally awesome.
    Cant wait until you post more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But Candice," You're probably thinking, "we've all been dying to know WHERE you went for this fabulous vacation! Oh, do tell. Please?"

    I was thinking about Walruses actually. Sounds like you had a good time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart NY. I wouldn't want to live there, but visiting for a few days is awesome. Glad you had a good time.
    It Just Got Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. They let you touch the door knob? Do they have no standards in New York?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry. I'm really, REALLY jealous. PAUL MCCARTNEY'S VIOLIN BASS?????

    Envy, right here. We had one like it in the store, but it was a year younger, and obviously it wasn't Paul's because if it had been it would have been priced at a lot more than five thousand dollars.

    And I would have stolen it.

    Pea green with envy.

    Not just because of the Beatles Treasures. But also because you went to New York. I want to go to New York more than anything in the world.

    Oh, I'm so glad you went somewhere amazing! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mynx: It was awesome. I loved every minute of it. More to come soon! :)

    Drake: You're right. Walruses are WAY more interesting. :)

    Brent: NY is really amazing. I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

    Doug: They don't usually let anyone touch the doorknob, but no one was looking. Even if they were, they would have made an exception for me. I'm that awesome.

    Chanel: You don't have to apologize. I'd be jealous too. And I would have stolen Paul's guitar if I'd had the chance. I would have returned it, of course, because my overactive conscience wouldn't have allowed me to hold onto it for much longer than a few days or so...but I would have REALLY enjoyed those few days...

    I hope you'll get to New York soon. It really is fabulosity at its best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds completely fabulous...still envious. If I was Catholic like Gummy Bear I'd have to confess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooo I hope you saw a show because I am a Broadway fanatic who desperately needs to live vicariously through others.

    Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicki: We did. We actually saw 3 shows. You'll hear more about those later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to hear about the shows, I love musical theater and frequently subject my students to lessons via song. I think they would object less if I could actually sing and/or used fewer jazz hands... Congrats on your trip to the Big Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms Jenna: I love musical theater too, and I'm glad you ensure your students' enlightenment with song. It makes things SO much better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)