Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Warning: The Following Post Contains a LOT of Whining...

So…I think I need an intervention.



I am currently working on my Generals for an Associate’s degree, after which I plan to move on to my Bachelor’s. That’s a very natural progression, right? Nope, apparently not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be going to college. However, here's the frustrating part: I am still undecided on my major. That's right. It took me a very long time to finally settle on my current course of study. I felt really good about it for a while, and now I’m waffling again! Seriously? I am 28 years old, am I really that indecisive? Yes. Yes I am.

Allow me to take you on a journey through the many different avenues that I have considered travelling during my time back in college:

--English, with an emphasis in professional and technical writing (Declared, then changed)
--Nursing, (Never officially declared, mainly because I HATE needles and because I took a chemistry class and remembered that I suck at, and therefore despise science classes)
--Respiratory Therapy (Never declared, just a desperate, fleeting idea)
--Radiology (Never declared, another fleeting idea)
--Psychology (My original, intended major right out of high school 10 years ago—I wanted to go on through my Doctorate and become a psychiatrist. This option is still not entirely off the table in my mind.)
--English (Because it would be the easiest, most comfortable course of action for me. English is my mind's mother ship.)
--Journalism (My current, declared major)

These are just the highlights of course. The mess and chaos that has been my disconnected train of thought on this matter has been dizzying.

And now, I’m seriously considering changing my mind AGAIN to pursue a BIS degree (Bachelor of Integrated Studies). This is a degree in which a student chooses 3 areas of emphasis, bringing them all together into one integrated degree. Sounds perfect, right?

To an indecisive person like me, not having to choose between my 3 favorite subjects and then finding a way to bring them together is a very attractive option. I would probably have declared this major instead of Journalism had I known it existed before now. This way, I can study three subjects: Psychology, English, and Communications. When I decide to go on to graduate school, I’ll have more options before me. (And then I can start this whole ridiculous process all over again!)

However, I am still undecided. Yeah, I know it's ludicrous.



So, where’s my intervention? Where is that Magic 8 ball that I can get a straight answer out of? I need someone to grab my face, stare me right in the eyes, point to a clear path and say: “Do this, you freaking lunatic!” Anyone want to take a crack at that? I’m all ears!

4 comments:

  1. I've never been able to decide until the very last minute. I chose Business Economics, got kicked out, ended up in English Studies Major in Creative Writing, and loved it. Now taking up Law (which I adore). All impulsive choices. I'm not saying that's the best way to do it. Just sharing. :-)

    ficklecattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Fickle Cattle, maybe I do need to take the more impulsive route. My biggest problem in most situations is overthinking things. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can always consult my Magic 8 ball if you like. Otherwise, study what you love.

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ranter's Box, I appreciate the offer to use your 8 Ball! (I haven't actually seen one of those in years.) And you're right, I just need to figure out what I love the most and go for it--without overthinking things!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)