Monday, August 23, 2010

Memories of Music...

Today was the first day of school. For my "Mass Media and Society" class, I was required to find a song that I feel defines me as a person and post a YouTube link to it. I liked this idea so much, I decided to share it with all of you.

The song I chose was "Return to Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins. Perhaps it doesn't define me so much as it defines my childhood.



Every time I hear the familiar melody and words of this song I picture my dad, sitting on the couch playing his guitar. I'm about 5 years old, it's close to bedtime, so I'm already pretty sleepy. My sisters and I are lying on the floor in our pajamas. Dad has been playing songs for us for the last hour, and we are begging him to play just one more. (Stalling bedtime for as long as possible)



Dad smiles, and tells us it's getting late. We give him the best puppy-dog eyes we can manange and add a synchronized "Pleease?" Dad smiles again, and shakes his head. He's no match for his little girls. "Okay. Just one more. Which song do you want to hear?" The decision is unanimous. "The Christopher Robin song!" (If you've ever heard the song before, you'll know why we gave it this alternate title.)

Dad's voice is always the one I hear in my head whenever I think about "Return to Pooh Corner." Kenny Loggins does alright I guess, but he's no match for Dad in my mind.


My family is a large part of what defines me as a person. So is music. Sitting here thinking about Dad singing and playing the guitar makes me want to find the time to pick up my guitar, or sit at the piano, or just start singing for the heck of it. (A little note about me: If you want to get through to me in the most effective way possible, you'll be able to do it with music. Every time.)

There are probably quite a few songs I could compile that would spell out the many different seasons of my life. Maybe someday I will find the time to put them all together, but until then...here's the link to my chosen song for the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXUYIOoFzM

If you were to pick one song that defines you or a significant part of your life, what would it be? I would love to know your stories.

8 comments:

  1. Good question Candice. Being a writer I would be more inclined to name a book that best summed up my life. In which case that would be "A Tale of Two Cities" ...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

    Have a great week! - The Empress

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story. I can't think of a song but I have fond memeories of my father telling us wonderful adventure stories starring "Teddy and Dinosaur" the two favorite toys of my brother and me. (Teddy was mine) I think he may have borrowed from Enid Blyton but it was wonderful where his imagination took us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little girl is in a huge "Winnie the Pooh" phase! Alas, my husband and I have zero musical talent (though we're banking on Amelia playing something when she gets older). That's a great song!

    If I had to pick a song that really sticks out as defining a time in my life, it would be Smashing Pumpkins's "Today." Smashing Pumpkins was huge when I was a young teenager, and a friend of mine burned me the album Siamese Dream. My parents were driving me to camp in Minnesota from NJ (I know, devoted parents!) and I had my first Walkman...haha! Remember those? I listened to the entire album obsessively, and I felt really rebellious and grown up. There I was in the backseat listening to whatever I wanted while my parents rocked out to NPR, and they had no clue.

    Not that they would have cared what I listened to; it was just the freedom of choice that made me so excited! That summer was my move from child to teen, my first kiss, my first long distance pen pal boyfriend (yep, pen and paper; no email or Facebook or texting!)

    Thanks, Candice! That was a very cool memory!

    Oh, and here's the link, if you want to get your Smashing Pumpkins on!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6J28OdEKrI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Empress: I love books too, and "A Tale of Two Cities" is a great one. Mr. Dickens is definitely one of my heroes. However, I would have a hard time finding a single book that defines me. I'll have to think about that one. Maybe I'll do a post about it sometime. :)

    Mynx: Your mention of "Teddy and Dinosaur" reminds me of one of my favorite childhood toys: my Care Bear! He was blue, and I don't remember his name, but he was one of the baby bears and had a half moon or something nighttime-related on his tummy. Care Bear Stare! :)

    Elizabeth: I remember The Smashing Pumpkins! They rock! Thinking about them led me to remember listening to them and The Cranberries when I was in Junior High. The Cranberries sang some of my favorite songs ever. Remember "Zombie" or "Ode to my Family"? Good times.

    I have always loved Winnie the Pooh. It's amazing how something so geared towards children can still appeal to adults. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! First CD ever was "No Need to Argue." My dad used to sing, "Tommy, Tommy, Tommy-me-me-me-oh!" We were like, "What are you singing?!" He totally misheard "Zombie"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! "Tommy" "Zombie"...they sort of sound the same...?

    LOL! Love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love music, but I can't think of any one song that would define me or a significant part of my life. And the funny thing is that right now the only song I can think of is Justin Bieber's "Somebody to Love". Which is kind of sad.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fickle: It is sort of difficult to come up with a song like that on the spur of the moment. I also really hate it when the most annoying part of the world's most annoying songs get stuck in my head. It can be pure torture! Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)