Sunday, May 1, 2016

Happy May Day!...

There's nothing super ground shaking going on in life just now, but I figured it would be good for me to pop up and say "Howdy", as it's been over a month since my last post! Geez! How does this keep happening?!? So, I finished up all of my finals this past week. My FINAL Undergrad Finals! I am now no longer an undergrad student. And this Friday, I will put on a goofy-looking hat and robe and GRADUATE with my Bachelor's Degree! I know, I know, it took me long enough. It was worth it, though. I've learned a lot about myself over the past 7 years.

In fact, I had no notion of doing this when I set out to write this post, but I'm going to see if I can provide a list of the "Top Five Things I've Learned About Myself Since I Started Going Back to School". And heeeerrre we go...

 #5 - I'm a pretty good writer. I mean, I'd always enjoyed writing, ever since my Junior Year of High School. My spelling and grammar were always strong, and with every class I've taken, my skills with words have improved until I even impress myself. What's interesting is how much I've taken from each of my professors. I mean, let's face it - Grading an essay is a subjective process. I don't care who you are or what your claims to non-biased grading processes may be, everyone has a particular style that is going to appeal to them more than any other. Because of this, I've learned how to tailor my writing to a particular audience. In order to get the best possible grades on my writing, I've had to be observant and take in everything the professor says. And by doing so, I've become pretty darn good at writing exactly what those professors wanted me to write. I know that makes me sound like a spineless chameleon, but in the professional world, there is nothing more important than knowing your audience and finding a way to write something they will relate to. (And just for the record, "Spineless Chameleon" would be a fantastic name for a rock band!)

 #4 - Cramming does NOT work. Yes, I have definitively learned this for myself. I started my program with my old attitude: "Okay, I just show up for class, review a few times the night before the test, and I'll be fine." This approach worked great - with my generals. But once I started my program, it became necessary to change my whole perspective on studying. I've developed my own process, and it works quite well. Yes, it's more time-consuming, but hey, I haven't had to pull any all-nighters to study for a test I was unprepared for. Once I start Grad School this Fall, I'm sure this method of studying will need to be changed again in order to accommodate all of the extra stuff I'm going to have on my plate. But I'll be ready.

 #3 - It's OK to Take a Break When I Need One. Oh yes indeed, I've had many days when I've been stressed out and frustrated and basically wanted to run away, change my name, and open up a little dive bar on the beaches of Mexico. On those days, the last thing I think of is "Maybe you need to take a break and do something fun and frivolous for an hour or so." Odd, I know. However, I've learned over the last 7 years that those moments when I feel the most frustrated are the moments when I need to pick up my guitar and start strumming and singing. Or set my notes aside and watch a few episodes of "Phineas and Ferb" with my daughter. I'll get back to the work, but I'll be more prepared to handle it after I've goofed off for a while.

 #2 - I'm More Ambitious than I Thought. Yeah, I never thought of myself as ambitious before I started going to school, but dang, son. I REALLY enjoy success. I not only enjoy it, I pursue it with as much energy as I can possibly give. It feels sooooo good to set a goal, tackle it, and smash it to pieces. I love it!

 #1 - I'm Kind of Awesome. Over the last seven years, I've been stretched to my limit more than once. I've been under a great deal of pressure, and I've had to rise to a far higher level than I ever expected to reach. And you know what? I've come through it all with a smile on my face, a great GPA, and acceptance into a fantastic Master's Degree program. I've enjoyed the ride, and I now know what I can really do. We all have experiences that give us the chance to explore our own personal limits, when we have to choose between rising to the occasion or buckling under the pressure. I'm very grateful to have begun this journey, and I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

 Oh, and Happy May, Everybody!

9 comments:

  1. Well done and happy May Day. The rain is coming down heavy outside my window so I'm glad we decided to do things yesterday.

    I agree, you are awesome! You've achieved what you set out to do and that is no small task. Enjoy the graduation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I most certainly will enjoy it. And I may or may not decide to celebrate with a big, fat, slice of cheesecake...

      Delete
  2. Hey, congratulations on earning that goofy-looking cap and robe!

    #5 is essential, not just as a writer, but in the workforce too. Knowing what your boss looks for is a great way to stay off of the radar and simultaneously look more impressive. That's my approach all day, every day.

    And for the record, I'm totally stealing Spineless Chameleon as a band name. You've been warned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have Spineless Chameleon. I think I can trust you with it. Just make sure you have a triangle player, and get me some free concert tickets every now and then.

      Yeah, I'm a big fan of #5. It's been extremely useful.

      Delete
  3. HOWDY! And congratulations! I bet you'd even look good wearing a goofy-looking hat and robe. Did I say CONGRATULATIONS? No? Well, congratulations. I'm proud of you. You did it! As a college professor I can assure you that grading an essay is a subjective process. You are awesome, and you know it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I will TOTALLY rock that cap and gown! Go me!

      The awesomeness cannot be contained! Watch out!

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)