Friday, October 3, 2014

I Know it's Been Forever, Don't Hate Me!...

Okay, I normally don't write posts in the middle of the day, but I've got a few moments to spare right now, and I figured it would be a good time to catch you all up on what's been going on. So...here goes:

The Good:

1) I was asked to help some of my professors to help gather data for a study they're conducting, regarding children's speech and listening skills. My job? To go to elementary schools and gather language samples! I love working with these kids, and the Professor in charge gave me a huge compliment. At my most recent session, I was one of the first finished and I was gathering up my equipment. Dr. A. came up to talk to me and I said: "This is really fun. I love doing this!" And she said: "I'm glad. You're really good at it, and you've got a great way with these kids." Needless to say, I was rather thrilled by that.

2) I took my first exam in Hearing Science--the class I've been most worried about since before the semester began. I managed to scrape through with an A. Woot! Still alive! Now I just have to get through the rest of the semester!

3) CT and AJ are doing quite well in school thus far. They love their teachers and classes, which is always a relief. Having had to deal with (and drastically remedy) a major problem with one of CT's teachers in the past, I am relieved that all is well right now. I just hope we can all work together to keep it that way!

4) Ty was made the "Manager of the Quarter" at work! He's so fantastic, and never fails to amaze people with his crazy awesome work ethic and ability to lead and learn from others. He's the bomb. Yep. I said it!

The Bad (or less good, anyway):

I dropped my phone last week. I've dropped it many times over the past 2 years, with no major consequences, but this time...it hit at just the wrong angle and the screen cracked. Not the outer glass screen, the other one. The one that makes it so my touch screen phone is completely useless. I could get calls and messages, but I couldn't look at or answer them. It was very sad. My poor phone!

I had to go to my Mom and borrow her phone so I could call Ty at work and let him know why I couldn't answer any calls should he try to call me. When I told my parents (independently) about the misfortune of my phone, they each held up their phone and said: "You need to get you one of these!" (showing me the protective cases they used on their devices.) In both instances, I thought: "Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, but a fat lot of good a protective case will do for a phone that's already broken beyond repair!" Sigh. Parents, amirite? Don't get me wrong, my parents are awesome and I love them to pieces, but they do have their moments when I just have to look at them and think: "Really?" This was one of them.

Needless to say, I had to go and get a new phone.

Good that was a result of The Bad:

My new phone is awesome. I finally buckled to my innermost desires and got an iPhone. Not the brand spanking new iPhone 6, just the good old iPhone 5s. It's got pretty much the same innards as the 6, but it's a bit cheaper and I actually like the slightly smaller size. It's easier to hold on to!

And, I've officially learned my lesson. I made absolutely sure that I didn't walk out of that cell phone store with out also purchasing a protective case for my new phone!

Bonus: I can finally sync my iPad with my phone so I get all the same apps and stuff on both devices without having to pay for them twice! Huzzah!

Slightly Annoying: It's a rather complicated process to make my own ringtones for the iPhone, whereas with the Samsung S2 I could just go to my songs and set one as a ringtone. Hello, Apple! Wake up and smell the musky scent of "Your default ringtones all make me want to rip my own ears off so I don't have to listen to them!"

Starting tonight I get to start studying for my first Pediatric Speech Pathology exam. Super fun! Don't be too jealous!

11 comments:

  1. My wife has one of these bulky cases on her phone. I don't like it. I used to borrow her phone once in a while. Now I don't even go near it. And I don't have a case on my phone. I'm bothered by the idea of covering up my sleek, stylish phone with a bunch of rubber. I feel like I'm putting a sweater on a dog.

    But hey, that's me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the super bulky ones either. I got a pretty nice, thin one that should protect the phone from most dropping incidents. I'm a bit of a clumsy clod, so I can use all the help I can get!

      Delete
  2. I went through the exact same thing, where I dropped my phone at just the wrong angle (protective case be damned), cracked the touch screen, and had to borrow my mother-in-law's iPhone 4. I hate it so, so much. It's just awful. Which makes me seem like such a whiny first world baby.

    "God, I've been FORCED to use an iPhone 4 like a sucker. Life is so hard." :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! You poor First World Baby! Don't worry, you won't have to use that icky iPhone 4 forever. It'll break soon enough, and then you can get yourself an all new phone, just the way you want it! Until then, try to tough it out through these difficult times. You can make it! And here's a lollipop to make you feel better.

      Delete
    2. An iPhone 4... I can't even begin to imagine his pain and agony. Who's talking anyway... Bryan or Brandon? Also, when life is hard, you grab a beer. Or a cookie. ;)

      Delete
    3. Okay, it's officially been forever. Can I hate you now?

      This is Bryan. You can tell by the tone of my voice. Brandon's is just a little more baritone.

      Also, I came in to say that I'm posting this from my brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 4, so the iPhone 4 is thrown away in the trash where it belongs. Because it is literal garbage. And I'm still in therapy trying to work through the pain of having to use one. We're slowly making progress, but sometimes I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming "ONLY 3G? WHAT IS THIS, 2008?"

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid I don't have a great way with kids even though they all want to sit on my knee. I guess I'm too impatient. Now, when it comes to cats, I'm your man! Meow! Did you say... an A? WOOT WOOT! CT and AJ love their teachers... CHECK! Ty is fantastic... CHECK!

    Your poor phone, not to mention your poor wallet. Good thing money doesn't make us happy, right? And that protective case sure was a smart move. I've had an S3 for a long time now and I'm planning on keeping it forever. I know, that may not be exactly realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, they won't want to sit on your knee quite so much if you'd stop going around dressed up like Santa Claus. Just sayin'.... :)

      Yes, the protective case is very nice, and it gives me some peace of mind, especially after losing my last phone so tragically...so suddenly...Sigh.

      Oh, and just in case you were wondering...cell phones are pretty much designed to last for about 2 years nowadays. For them to function perfectly for much longer than that is...unusual. At least that's been my experience. Maybe you and your S3 will go the distance! I'm rooting for you!

      Delete
  4. Two years... that's it? You know, why I finally got rid of that bulky Nokia of mine (the one with the antenna, that's right), and I could call myself the proud owner of a brand new Samsung Galaxy S3, I felt like I was back in the swing of things, being so modern and all. Then, two years down the line, people look at my phone and wonder why in the world I still have that 'old' model.... Go figure. So I guess you're right.

    If I were a phone, I would be a collector's item, right? How depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even worse than that! I got the iPhone 5s because I like the size and shape better than the brand spanking new iPhone 6, but everyone just looks at me like I've lost my mind. "Why didn't you get the NEW model?!? This one's so NEW!!!" Yeah? Well mine is new too, Bucky. And I LIKE it!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Don't listen to iPhone 6 fetishists. Ever.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)