Monday, July 14, 2014

I'm Back! In More Ways than One!...

Well, we have returned. Yes, on Sunday afternoon (yesterday) Ty, the chiddlers and I returned from a lovely vacation on a lake in Wisconsin. Why were we there, you ask? Well...because Ty's family has a nice little cottage there and they invited us to come and stay with them for a few days. Oh yes. Seven days of listening to the beautiful, haunting calls of the loons (the birds, not actual lunatics--I just wanted to be clear about that) and motoring all over the lake on a big boat, enjoying a culture that one can never experience anywhere else.

You see, this lake is surrounded by cabins and cottages and resorts. It is also surrounded by thick, beautiful trees, and is therefore very secluded and quiet. No cell phone reception. Nearly everyone that you might come across on the lake, in the bars/restaurants or stores, is on vacation. This creates a most wonderful, laid-back atmosphere. Everyone is in a good mood; relaxed, and very friendly.

Time itself passes differently there. It doesn't crawl along, nor does it seem to "fly by". It...meanders. The minutes, hours, and days are in no hurry at all. It's like being in a world outside of time. I'm not saying that in a sci-fi way, it's just the truth. No one really cares what time it is. Oh sure, they'll tell you if you ask, (and they happen to have access to a timepiece), but in the end it just doesn't matter all that much. It's so different, and I've gotta tell ya folks, it's pretty nice to spend time in a place like that, if only for a week at a time.

Ty and I have stayed at this cottage on several occasions, twice when we had no kids in tow, once with a (then) 4-year-old CT, and now with both CT and AJ. The chiddlers had a blast, mostly because Grandpa Mickey has absolutely no qualms about letting them get away with...well...anything, so long as it doesn't result in serious injury to themselves or those around them (minor injuries are fine). He let CT drive the boat many times and took him fishing just about every day. Mickey and Allie spoiled us all to death and now I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I will have to start cooking  and doing dishes again. Oh well, all good things must come to an end eventually, right? (Feel free to disagree with me at any time here. I'm still looking for a house elf, or perhaps just a kindly housekeeper who's looking for some fun times doing all of my housework for free.)

However, for all its merits, this vacation did have a very, VERY unpleasant down side. Allow me to illuminate with the actual story of our arrival at the cottage.

Mickey had picked us up at the airport and driven us the 2.5-3 hours (I fell asleep, so I'm not sure exactly how long it was) to the cottage. As we were pulling into the gravel drive, Mickey pointed to the compartment in the passenger side door: "There's some bug spray if you want to use it."

I looked down and saw the can, but the way Mickey made the comment had absolutely no urgency to it--indeed it sounded like the world's most casual suggestion, as though he were merely offering bug spray just in case we felt like we wanted to enjoy the glorious aroma of DEET upon our arrival. I took the can and sprayed a bit of the stuff on my legs, but figured that was all I'd really need. And then we opened the car doors and stepped outside.

Instantly, we were set upon by the most violent, aggressive gang of mosquitoes we've ever encountered. I grabbed CT's arm and AJ's hand and told them to hurry down the path the house. I grabbed my own suitcase and rushed off--leaving Ty and Mickey to deal with most of the bags. As we stumbled through the woods that surround the cottage, the cloud of mosquitoes thickened, they were in my hair, flying at my face, my neck, I  could not believe how bad things were! I called to CT to run for it, and looked around for AJ. Ty had already picked her up and was running toward the house with her. Those evil little jerk-faced assassins (yes, I'm still talking about the mosquitoes here) followed us all down the path and into the house, leaving us breathless and swatting at each other's clothes and faces in a desperate attempt to kill the ones who had made it inside before we slammed the door.

And that was the way it was for the entire week. Every time we needed to get to the car to go somewhere, we had to run through that awful gauntlet of mosquitoes. They loved me, I have no idea why. Even when I was well-covered in bug repellent, I still got bitten! Stupid, crazy, bloodthirsty ninja bugs. Now we're all quite properly covered in bites, and have now only to resist scratching those red, itchy spots long enough to let them heal. Blech.

Anyway, I'm running on about 2 hours of sleep right now. I usually sleep quite well at the cottage, but not this year. It was the strangest thing. It took me a long time to fall asleep every single night, but even so I usually got a pretty decent night's rest. Last night though, I COULD. NOT. FALL. ASLEEP. No matter what I tried. It was maddening! In the end, I looked out the windows, listened to the birds singing as they woke up, and saw the sun coming up over the lake. I just decided: "You know what? Screw this. I'll just stay awake and sleep when I go home." And that's when I finally dozed off for a couple of hours. Ironic, yes?

I've actually felt pretty good all day long, despite the lack of sleep. It's just within the last hour or so that I seem to have "hit the wall", as they say. Now I'm quite exhausted, and hope to be in bed within half an hour. I'd have gone to bed sooner, but I have to get some laundry done. Another difficulty that vacations can present to the vacationer is the fact that we come home and have absolutely NO clean clothes. Anyway, I've got a load of clothes in the washer right now, and once those are in the dryer I shall happily trip up the stairs off to bed. (And by that, of course, I mean I will pretty much be crawling up those stairs and I'll be lucky to remember to turn the lights off before conking out on my pillow.)

Good night!

14 comments:

  1. Vacations are great. The day after a vacation, not so much. All that time spent unpacking, doing laundry, catching up on sleep, scrubbing the blood out of your clown suit... it's just the worst, amirite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I mean, at a certain point, you might as well just get a whole new clown suit rather than bothering with getting those stains out.

      Delete
    2. I've often found mixing Persil detergent and Monster Energy drink strips that blood right off, but the big floppy shoes are a lost cause.

      Delete
    3. Monster Energy Drink? I've never thought of that! Thanks for the tip! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey there, Candice. Been a while, no?

    The cottage vacay sounds dreamy, except for the mosquitoes. Not cool. We have a cabin we go to in the summer, and it's moths that take over. But moths don't bite, so yours is worse. Sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow! Brent? Is that really you? It's great to see you back in the blogosphere. So many of my old bloggy friends have up and disappeared over the years. It's good to see at least one of you back again. :)

      I would gladly take moths over mosquitoes any day of the week and twice on Sundays. But you're right. The other parts of the vacation were soooo nice.

      Delete
  3. The relationship time has to such a place was well described, though I was expecting to hear the word ‘saunter’ rather than ‘nightmarish run through the swarm’ as it attempted to devour the flesh from your bones. This is why I don’t nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty "indoorsy" myself. And my biggest problem with the outdoors has always been the bugs. I mean, ick!

      Delete
  4. A lovely vacation on a lake... I wonder what that's like. Forgive me for sounding a bit jealous. Seven days plus a big boat and a laid-back atmosphere. You understand living, alright. Grandpa Mickey sounds like my late Grandpa Harry. It's a wonderful feeling to have a Grandpa who lets you get away with anything. I miss mine.

    Yes, well, it's only because all good things come to an end that we appreciate them in the first place.

    WHAT! MOSQUITOES! I hate mosquitoes. Those blood sucking freaks! I've got blue blood and they still can't resist the urge to change their regular diet. A cloud you say? Why in the world didn't you bring a blow torch? I was once attacked by a thousand (literally!) and I set them on fire. That's right. I should've been a member of the A-Team. I made my own blowtorch the moment I realized they would attack me every night in my freaking bed! Anyway, whenever you go on a vacation, bring a toothbrush and a blowtorch.

    No clean clothes? We need to go shopping. Takes me about five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blowtorch! Why didn't I think of that? Of course, I would have ended up destroying the entire wooded area and probably the cottage itself...but then again the freaking evil vampire bugs would be gone....so much to consider!

      Don't be too jealous, you can always find a way to take your own vacation like this one. All you need is a few vacation days and a chosen destination. :)

      Delete
    2. PS: You and Ty should go shopping together. Your 5 minute shopping trip is exactly the kind of shopping trip that he aspires to. He always says: "I don't shop, I buy. I decide ahead of time exactly what I want/need, and then I go and get it. No shopping involved."

      I'm not a huge shopping fan either, but every so often, the bug will bite me and I'll indulge myself a little. I still like to think that I'm better about this than the typical woman, though. Because we all know just how atypical I am. :)

      Delete
    3. He's right. There's a difference between shopping and buying, alright. It's a simple in-and-out procedure that most of the women that I know just fail to appreciate. It's a mystery to me why shopping is believed to be fun. Fun? What do you mean... fun?

      Atypical is good. We wouldn't want it any other way :)

      Delete
    4. I think most women view shopping as a chance to get together with their girlfriends and validate each other by trying things on and giving each other compliments. It's silly, but perhaps I only say that because I've never really caught on to that whole idea. Why would it be fun to try on a whole bunch of stuff? There are so many other things I'd rather be doing, like eating cookies...

      Delete
    5. I can't imagine what it's would be like to go shopping with my male friends and to try things on and give each other compliments ;) That's why I love women so much. They're like this entirely different species. I wouldn't mind a cookie, though.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)