Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Whoops! I Guess it's Been a While...

Geez! Is it really halfway through the month of June ALREADY? This means that our family is pretty much right in the middle of what we like to call "Birthday Season."

Seriously, it seems like every other week we're celebrating at least one birthday, usually more. This week, for instance, is my husband's birthday AND mine. Also his brother. My brother's birthday was last week, as well as that of my mother-in-law. The week before that (end of last month) was my sister's birthday, AND my little niece's birthday! And it just keeps going! (There are several others that I just can't remember right now, but trust me, they're there!) June is apparently a VERY popular month in which to be born. It's nuts! It is also awesome, mainly because I have a very serious weakness for cake.

I really have no excuses for my extended absence. I guess I've just been getting into the swing of this whole summertime thing. It didn't always take so much adjustment time, but now that I've got kids, I have to make some major changes in my daily mindset. It's not a bad thing, it's just different.

Instead of getting up and having 15 different things to do just to get my son out the door to school, now I just have to get up and make sure that the kids get their breakfast, get dressed, and brush their teeth. Instead of worrying about making my son do his homework, I just need to make sure that he gets his room clean, and then ensure that he understands what is curfew is and that he gets home by that time. All the rules have changed.

For me, now I don't have to worry about classes, I'm spending more time doing the things that tend to get neglected during the school semester. I've started a crocheting project. I've also been playing my guitar a lot more often, and have learned a couple of new songs. I won't lie, it's been pretty nice, overall.

However, I have also noticed that my fuse has become shorter than it would normally be.

I'm not really sure why this is the case. I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that my kids have less things to keep them busy during the day, therefore they're spending more time together. This is not always a huge problem, as they typically get along pretty well, but once the fun of the moment is over, they start to get on each other's nerves, and need some space. However, they don't always realize that this is what they need, so they start sniping at each other, sometimes escalating to full-blown yelling before I catch on to what's happening and then I have to be the referee and separate them. This can get pretty frustrating when you're doing it 57 times a day. I'm pretty sure that such a routine would get on anyone's nerves eventually. It's enough to give someone a permanent eye twitch...

Tonight I got so fed up I sent them to their separate rooms until such time as I decided I was ready for them to come back downstairs. (I would have sent them out to play in the backyard, but it was raining...) I took two Tylenol--trying to get rid of a major headache--and made dinner. Once it was done and my headache was finally gone, I was calm enough to bring the chiddlers back downstairs. This didn't take much more than 40 minutes (possibly less, I wasn't really watching the clock), but it made a big difference. Sometimes Mommy needs some space too.

Ack! I'm dozing off. Apparently it's time to put away the laptop and go to bed. Sorry this post was so lame, I'll try to do better next time. :)

8 comments:

  1. A while? A while? I grew old waiting for you to return to the world of those who don't have a life unlike you. There. I said it. Now excuse me while I go and read your post.

    (Time's a-flying.... see... I told you...)

    When's your birthday when's your birthday? Let me guess: 23? No? 24? 21? Get outta here! Really? You're not saying this to make me feel like a corpse on wheels, right? A crocheting project AND a guitarsolo? No wonder you've been gone so long. 57 times a day... I'm surprised you're still blogging! I'd've jumped out of the window the 51st time.... Maybe the 52nd time..

    This post wasn't lame. How's the headache?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The headache is just fine, thank you. Tylenol and some peace and quiet did the trick quite nicely.

      I will be 32, thank you very much. I'm hardly an infant.

      Yeah, I'm rather surprised that I make it through so much madness during the day. However, I've found that all the rumors and/or stereotypes are true: Moms develop selective hearing after a certain period of time. Most of it is just white noise, but eventually...we tune back in long enough to instill order again.

      It's not so much a guitar solo as me strumming and picking and singing the song. I'm nowhere NEAR skilled enough to do those ridiculously awesome riffs. Oh well. It's all good, and it's all music. :)

      Delete
    2. 32... Is that a fact? I may my first million when I was 32, so don't be surprised when you wake up on a bed of presidents come Mr. Sunrise.

      What do you mean in your dreams? In my dreams, too.

      Just between the two of us.... You're singing on YouTube, right? You can tell me...

      Delete
  2. It's been a while, remind me which blogger you are again? (Kidding)

    Celebrating birthdays and enjoying the summer sounds like a perfectly acceptable excuse for a lack of blogging. Also, if your kids keep sniping at each other, invest in child sized boxing gloves. You can start your own kiddie fight club. Instant stress relief. No?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH!!! My 4-year-old daughter would look ADORABLE in little boxing gloves! And I could charge admission and start taking bets! You, sir, are a genius. I would tip my hat to you, if I wasn't so afraid of hat hair...

      Delete
  3. *Sticks hands out* What did you get me?

    Just kidding, it's next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! That gives me more time to put your gift in the mail!

      Delete
  4. Ugh… headaches are the WORST… I'm so sorry!!! And real life… it's all so much sometimes, isn't it? But I enjoyed reading this and blogging so SO healthy to release emotion and to feel support. You are wonderful, Candice! And happy birthday month!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)