I took my last final today.
It feels good to know that I'm done with classes for the next 3 weeks, but now I'm in that REALLY horrible state of "limbo" where I only know how I THINK I did on my final exams. And the self-doubt will only continue to grow and grow and GROW until final grades have been posted. With every passing second, I find myself wondering if I could have given more detail on those short-answer essays, or been more clear in my phonetic transcriptions. But I also know that all of that wondering is completely useless at this point. What's done is done, and all I can do is wait. It sucks, let me tell you.
Anyway, now that school and finals are over with, I have to face an old nemesis: laundry. It's been getting more and more out of control over the last couple of weeks as I've tried to wrap up the semester. My whole family has run out of clothes. There is one clean towel in the entire house. I'm wearing my husband's socks because I ran out 3 days ago. Today I went into the basement and nearly broke my ankle tripping over "Blanket Mountain", "T-Shirt Peak", and "Underwear Gorge". I just stood there and looked at the horror show around me, realizing for the first time just how bad things had become. Can you guess what I'm going to be doing for the next few days?
That's right! I'm going to be hiding in an underground bunker trying to invent self-cleaning, self-folding clothing. OH, and I'll be setting a bonfire in our basement to get rid of the evidence of the last few weeks of neglecting my family's laundry needs.
In addition to that, I have several mending projects that I've been meaning to work on for weeks. Including my son's favorite stuffed penguin that he sleeps with every night--that is until a few weeks ago when it got a huge hole under one of its wings. A few weeks before that, his sock monkey got a hole it its armpit as well. OH! And my daughter's giant teddy bear has a huge hole its armpit--basically, if you're a stuffed animal in our house, your armpits are NOT SAFE!!!
So...no more excuses now. I have no more homework. No more dealing with train and bus schedules. No more having to stop sitting on the couch with my 3-year old daughter snuggled up in my lap watching a Tinkerbell movie because I have to drop her off at my mom's house and leave for class. I'm free for 3 weeks. And it's going to be awesome.
We're all decorated for Christmas now. Most of you know that we finished our Christmas shopping back in September--over-achievers that we are. The chiddlers are all sorts of excited about the impending visit from Santa Claus. AJ has decided that The Grinch is her favorite Christmas book AND favorite Christmas movie this year. She can recite it quite impressively.
I'm getting very excited about my yearly reading of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Ty's reading it to CT right now, but as soon as they're done I am so there!!! (Yes I'm a huge Charles Dickens nerd, what of it?)
Anyhoo, I think I'll end this particular bout of rambling for now. Here's wishing you all a fabulous week.
I lost my trustiest horse in Underwear Gorge. Had to put him down. Brings back a lot of painful memories.
ReplyDelete(I like Dickens too, love A Tale of Two Cities. "It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done. It is far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.")
Oh, I'm really sorry about your horse, I've lost a few good minions there too.
DeleteYep, in my opinion, no one can use words so effectively as Dickens. A true genius!
So frustrating when the housework piles up but at least you have time now to deal with it.
ReplyDeleteI am sure you have done awesomely on your exams. The waiting and wondering is always the worst bit I think
Yeah, I'm nearly caught up on the laundry beast now. So all I have to do from here on out is keep it from getting that crazy again!
DeleteI agree. The waiting is by far the worst part! I hate not knowing!
Okay, the laundry part made me laugh. We do this way too often. Yesterday was "emergency laundry day" so we lounged around in our underwear (the wife and I) while we did about 10 loads of laundry because we literally had nothing clean to wear. Good thing we didn't have to leave the house, right?
ReplyDeleteWe can't do the underwear lounging thing at our house, lest we traumatize the chiddlers. But I've been able to gain control of the situation, and now I just have to stay on top of it so it doesn't get out of control like that again! Underwear Gorge still gives me nightmares....(Shudder)
DeleteUNDERWEAR GORGE! I've lost many a sock in that treacherous terrain. I secretly love doing laundry because it gives me a legitimate excuse to sit on the couch and watch Project Runway while I fold. But I'm no stranger to Dress Shirt Mountain, because I HATE DOING THEM SO MUCH. They wrinkle if you breathe on them and we have to turn each. one. inside. out.
ReplyDeleteI used to be able to get away with doing laundry every 3 weeks while I was freelancing, because my "work uniform" consisted of a pair of yoga pants and an old T-shirt. Now that I'm forced to look semi-fancy-like I have to do laundry a lot more often, because I seriously only have about 5 nice outfits to wear to work. A normal person would just buy new clothes...but given the choice between weekly laundry and forced time at the mall, give me laundry or give me death, man.
And finally, AJ has great taste. The Grinch is my soul mate.