Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Odd, Really...

I've found that, for some unknown reason, I nearly ALWAYS post on Fridays. Just a random fact.

Now, I'm trying to come up with something brilliant to say, but honestly I got nothin'.

Ooh, ooh! I learned some fun random stuff in my classes. Here are a few of them:

1) One of the main reasons that the English language is so confusing is because our spelling system has remained constant over the centuries while pronunciation is always evolving. And really, who is going to go back and re-create our writing/spelling system? NOBODY!!!

2) There are, at any given time, between 6,000 and 7,000 languages in the world, though many of them are actually starting to "die out" as older generations pass on.

3) When we are just naturally breathing--without any conscious effort--the diaphragm goes down. This opens/widens the thoracic (chest) cavity, creating negative pressure in the lungs. In order to neutralize this negative pressure, the lungs fill with oxygen. And then we exhale carbon dioxide.

4) The medical/scientific name for ear wax is cerumen.

5) SLPs have an amazing job, and I love learning more and more about what they do. I only wish I had my license already.

6) Even if your outer ear gets cut off or damaged, you'll still be able to hear at a normal level, you just might have some issues with localizing sound. (Kind of common sense, but still interesting.)

7) There is an International Phonetic Alphabet that is used by SLPs, phoneticians, etc. to clear up the confusion involved with the inconsistencies between the way words are spelled, and the way they are pronounced. In the IPA system, 1 symbol = 1 sound.

8) Spending 6 hours away from my chiddlers two days a week makes me appreciate the time I get to spend with them even more than before.

So, there you have it. Did you learn something new? Do you feel any different than you did before?

You kinda do, don't you?

I know, I know. You're welcome.

12 comments:

  1. Try getting your tongue around a bit of Welsh. I swear the language wasn't made for human mouths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thanks. I'm still learning to speak English properly. :)

      Delete
  2. I always figured that English was so confusing because it's a mutt comprised of like 5 or 6 different languages.

    As for spelling, it makes me laugh that we call W's "Double U's", when really they look like, "Double V's", but I guess that's a hold over from the old Latin or...something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a pretty cool post. I hope I am not the only one who checked the way they breathe at number 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too when I first learned about it! :)

      Delete
  4. I just learned what an SLP was. Had to Google that. "Socialist Labor Party," right?

    (kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ear wax is called "cerumen"? That's really amazing. It also means "men who hug trees" in the Congo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Didn't know you didn't know that, did you? :)

      Delete
  6. It is insane how many languages there are. Doesn't make ours feel all that special, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I think we could still make a bid for the most confusing and messed up language. :)

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)