Monday, April 9, 2012

A Post in Which Candice Unleashes Some of Her Crazy on an Unsuspecting World...

Okay, I know I'm not exactly a deity when it comes to writing, or anything. I really do. However, I used to consider my writing skills to be better than most. Then I decided to take an editing class, and all of that confidence was shattered into a bazillion pieces.

My teacher is an absolute BEAR with grading! I mean, I understand that she's been a writer, editor, and a professor for a very, VERY long time, she's got a very trained eye for mistakes. But I DON'T!!! Seriously, how can I possibly catch EVERY LITTLE MISTAKE after taking one editing class? I can't, but she seems to expect me to. It's exasperating, it really is.

I'm sorry to be complaining like this, but my ego has been very, very wounded here. I'm used to getting A's on my papers. Every subject, every time, I've never failed to get an A on every single paper, essay, and/or report. Not kidding. Now, in this class I'm lucky to get B's on my papers and other writing assignments. For the first time EVER, I'm looking at getting a B in a writing-related class. A FREAKING B!!!!!! That does NOT happen to me! And the sad thing is, I'll be glad and grateful for that B while simultaneously kicking myself for not doing better and wondering how I could have made so many mistakes.

This class has been REALLY tough. I'm glad it's almost over, which surprises me. I thought I'd LOVE taking an editing class. I've always been really good at looking over other people's papers and such, correcting mistakes and helping to make it better overall. Not only was I good at it, I enjoyed it. An editing class should have been a piece of cake for me, right? Nope. Not even close. I would have been better off signing up for an underwater basket weaving class. And I would have had a few handmade baskets to enjoy once the class was over!

Yeah, I know I'm being a brat here, but I really hate unpleasant surprises. My editing class has been a very unpleasant surprise. Hence the ranting. BLAH!!!

Okay, I'll try to calm down now. Humility, Candice. Find your humility as you gorge yourself on popcorn and watch re-runs of "The Office".

Anyhoo...all ranting aside, I've been in a bit of a funk lately. I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's because I've decided to go in this new direction with school, and I know that these classes I'm taking this semester--though I plan to apply them toward a double minor at the new school--don't really have all that much to do with my future plans. Especially the (newly infamous) editing class.

It's not just school, though. I mean, I haven't been depressed. I'm not sad. I just haven't been my usual bubbly self. I've just kind of been bobbing along, neither bubbly nor depressed, just hovering around the middle somewhere.

I'm more inclined to think it's the change in my school plans that are at the root of this problem though. How do I know this? Because I've been feeling closer to my usual self now that this semester is nearly over. The closer I get to leaving my current school behind and moving on to my new school, the more excited I get. I'm SO CLOSE!!! Time has REALLY been dragging its feet recently. It's ever so very frustrating.

Either way, I need to stop whining and keep moving forward. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite random videos for all of you to enjoy:

This one makes me laugh every time I watch it. It may be a bit outdated, but it loses none of its hilarity.


This one is fabulous too. (If you've been living under a rock and have never seen the "literal music videos", you're in for a treat! Even if you have seen it before, you can watch it again. It's just as hilarious.)



Have a nice day! And watch out for those guys with pipe wrenches! :)

13 comments:

  1. Underwater basket weaving classes aren't all they're cracked up to be, especially when you have a teacher who takes points off for getting the baskets wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak as though from personal experience, Bryan... :)

      Delete
  2. I dont think it hurts to be pushed a little, like the teacher in your class is doing. When things stop being a challenge then they lose an element of enjoyment. Well at least they do for me. And a B is still pretty wonderful. Much better than failing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rational mind can see that she's just trying to help me learn, but my irrational side has a hard time accepting it. Oh well, the semester is nearly over, and I have learned quite a few things from the class. So I'll just go ahead and take my hard earned B and go skipping off into the sunset. :)

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I totally understand the whole B thing. I hated those professors. You try your ABSOLUTE hardest and you just...can't...quite...get... that... bloody... A. It sucks. I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely frustrating. I guess I just have to take the bitter medicine and let it go. It's not easy though. Sigh... Oh well.

      Delete
  4. I have an editing exercise for you. Find the mistake in the following sentence:

    " 'Doug is awesomely awesome,' Candice thought to her self," the handsome man accurately wrote for an editing exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY CRAP DOUG IS ALIVE?!?!?!?

      Sorry, I can't think about editing anything after a shock like this! I had a memorial service for you and everything! I even printed out some of your best posts and buried them in a cheese casket...Okay maybe I've gone a little too far here...

      Delete
    2. I believed your story until I saw the part about "best posts." Ha. We all know I don't have any of those :)

      Delete
    3. Sure you do. Even if they're all bad, some of them are going to be better than others. :)

      Delete
  5. I would find it personally insulting to receive a "B" on a paper, too. I take personal pride in the fact that I'm good at editing other people's work. Perhaps your teacher sees great potential and is harsher with you because she expects more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or, you know, she might just be mean now that I think of it.

    Should we List her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, as tough as this teacher is, she doesn't deserve The List...yet. :) I'll keep you posted, though.

      Delete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)