See? Isn't it the coolest mug you've ever seen? Yeah. I think so too.

Well, I applied to the other University. I've been admitted for Spring semester. Sadly, that option is just not plausible for me right now. It would take longer than I have left before school starts up again to get my financial aid transferred from one school to the other. Besides, this gives me a little extra time to make sure that I really want to make this huge change. I feel really good about it, but I also feel like I need to slow down and take one extra semester before diving in.
My little sister got married last weekend. It was a lovely day, filled with family and friends and...snow. It was actually kind of perfect. The whole day had been kind of cloudy and cold. Then the wind kicked up and it got REALLY cold. It started raining just before the reception started. Then, it started snowing heavily.
However, at the end of the night, when my sister and her new husband made their grand exit with their closest family and friends lined up on either side of the hallway to send them off, the doors opened and with the snow falling around them as they waved goodbye...it was just beautiful.
I'm just glad that I fulfilled my one assignment with a flair and a gusto that few others could have matched, I think. My mom and my sister, (the bride), gave me a VERY important job for the reception: Make sure to save my sister one slice of each layer of the wedding cake, and one slice of the chocolate layer for the groom. I completely understood this request. At my wedding, the only piece of my cake that I got to eat was the small bite that Ty and I fed each other. It was freaking delicious, but it was all I got. So sad!
Anyway, I was paranoid all night, worried that I would miss the cake-cutting and epically fail in my mission. But my paranoia made me very aware, and when it was time I was ready. As soon as my sister and her husband walked over to cut the cake, I was on the scene. As soon as they went back to the line and the servers were preparing to slice and serve the cake to the guests, I made my move. Before the lady could even make one cut, I said: "Could you please set aside one slice of each layer for the bride? And one slice of the chocolate layer for the groom?" She smiled, and readily assented. I double checked later on, and she had wrapped up the requested pieces of cake and hidden them away in the fridge until the end of the night. That's right, I rock!
Oh, and I have to put a plug in here for the awesomeness of my kids. They were dragged all over northern Utah on that wedding day and they both held up beautifully. Not a single tantrum, not even from our toddler! AJ charmed the heck out of everyone she met (as usual), and the manager at the reception hall said that CT has a job there as soon as he turns fourteen if he wants it! (Apparently, he was helping them to clean up at the end of the night, and he was very impressive in his work.) Either way, I'm proud of those two. I think they're still recovering from all the chaos of last week, though. It was a lot of driving around, and several late nights in a row, what with all of the extended family being in town and all. I could tell that they were ready for some down time when it was all over. To be honest, so was I. :)
The semester is winding down nicely. I just have a few odds and ends to figure out and the final exams after that and then I'm done until January. I've decided to slow things down a bit, though. I'm going down to part time semesters. Thinking through this new program that I want to get through, it requires a Master's degree above and beyond the Bachelor's. The thing is, it's going to be pretty intense once I start grad school. I don't want that to affect my kids, especially my little toddler daughter. So...I've decided to do half-time semesters until I finish my undergrad work, and then AJ will be old enough to be in school during the day, so I can go full-time for my Master's. I feel good about this decision, it's one that I haven't made lightly, but it's the right thing to do. For me, and for my daughter.
Finally, tonight after I put the kids to bed I was going around gathering up dirty laundry. When I went into the kids' bathroom for any and all dirty washcloths and such, I turned around and saw this in the bathtub.
(CT showers himself, so this is something he left behind after tonight's shower):

Yeah, I don't get it either.
Does anyone get a piece of their own wedding cake? I know I didn't.
ReplyDeleteKeep working on that degree. One day you'll get an edumacation.
I am just picturing the snow falling on a beautiful bride and handsome groom. Just wonderful I bet. Hope you got cake for yourself too.
ReplyDeleteI used to find all sorts of odd things in the bath after the kids had been in there. These days I am just happy if the youngest actually washes lol
Brent: They do if they have someone like me looking out for them! :)
ReplyDeleteNo worries. I'll get that degree if it takes me another ten years! (Please tell me it WON'T take at long, though, I'd have to get upset!)
Mynx: it really was a lovely sight. I did have some cake, How could I resist? :)
I guess it's just part of the mom thing, you find all sorts of things in odd places around the house! I once stepped on a shark in the kitchen!
I want it! I want it! It matches my earrings!!!!!
ReplyDelete(The mug. Not the Viking helmet.)
I'm just dying to know what the dress looked like...you didn't even describe it! Sheath? A-line? Ball gown? Mermaid? Trumpet? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
Chanel: You can probably find one on Amazon. The mug, I mean. There are actually mugs for all of their different albums. I confess, I have almost all of them. :)
ReplyDeleteThe dress was SOOO pretty. I'd have to say that its style was closest to an A-Line. There was beading all over the torso and then trailing sparsely down the skirt and gathering again on the train. It was short-sleeved, and the train wasn't too long. She didn't wear a veil, she just had her hair up, and pinned a white flower near the back. I'd post a picture, but I don't have one yet. I was a doof and forgot to bring my freaking camera! I know, epic fail! I'm going to have to hit up other people for pics. If I get one, I'll post it. :)
Amazon here I come...
ReplyDeleteChanel: :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I am a herbal tea fanatic.
ReplyDeleteI think your decision to go part-time makes total sense. You're still working towards your goal without sacrificing your family's needs. I think that's awesome. =)
Nicki: Herbal tea is one of my most favorite things ever. Very soothing. I like it even better than hot cocoa. It's good to meet a fellow fan.
ReplyDeleteI happy about the idea of going part time. Less stress, less time away from home, and I figure that if I'm only worrying about 2 classes at a time, I won't have to rush through all of the assignments and I can keep the quality of my work up to a higher standard. Everyone wins! :)