Sunday, November 6, 2011

Just a Few Things...

First of all, I've gotten a few good ideas for my 100th post so far, but you're all welcome to submit more questions for consideration. The more options, the better.

Anyway, here's a report of our Saturday (Yesterday):

My little sister's bridal shower was yesterday, and as I was getting ready, I told CT to brush his teeth. He and AJ were going to my parent's house where my dad would be watching them for me. They both adore my dad, by the way. He's pretty much the best grandpa EVER.

Anyway, as CT was brushing his teeth he called out to me: "Mom, my tooth is really hurting." I told him to come and show it to me. I had some suspicions, and I wanted to see if they were true.

I looked at the little tooth, one of the front teeth on the bottom, and I was right: the tooth was loose. When I told CT, his eyes popped open wide and his mouth spread wide in a grin. "Really?" he said, the excitement all but bursting out of him. I nodded, and he reached up and wiggled the tooth. He ran to the bathroom, and I heard him laughing with delight. "I can't believe I have my first loose tooth!" He ran back to me and hugged me tightly, too excited to contain himself.

Most of CT's friends at school have been losing teeth left and right, and he's been pretty worried about the fact that he hasn't even had a loose tooth yet. And now, out of the blue, he gets his first loose tooth. He was beyond thrilled about it, as I'm sure you can imagine.

When we got to my parent's house, he ran to my dad and lost no time in telling his grandpa about his loose tooth. It was a big deal, dang-it, and everyone that would listen soon knew about it.

I went to the bridal shower, and it was fun. My sister got some good gifts and, at the insistence of the guests, told the story of how her fiance proposed to her. It's a good story, and with MN's flair for storytelling, it's quite entertaining.

Anyway, I had to leave the party a little early so I could get AJ home to take a nap, and found my dad outside with my kids and HJ's two boys (HJ is my older sister), playing in the shallow layer of snow that had fallen the previous night and that morning. CT and my little 3-year-old nephew had built a snowman all by themselves. It was a bit shorter than my son, but it was really great, especially for a first attempt.

At home, I got the baby down for her nap, and CT wanted to go out and play with friends. It looked like it was going to get stormy again, so I told him to be careful and come home as soon as possible if none of his friends could play. (Saturdays are usually days when CT's friends are either not home or unable to play for some other reason.) Anyway, he returned home about 30 minutes later, and he was half frozen, despite the precautions I had taken to dress him warmly.

So, I wrapped him up in a big quilt and let him lie down on the couch under a heater vent. I let him watch a movie,(he picked "Despicable Me", in case you were wondering), while he warmed up. AJ was still asleep, so I pulled out my current extracurricular project. It's for my little sister, MN, a gift for her birthday next month. I'll be sure to include a picture when it's finished.

Anyway, Ty came home from work at around 8:20, and CT rushed to show his Dad the loose tooth (which he had been raving happily about all day, by the way). Ty looked at it, and said "Yep, that should come out in a few days or so." CT was practically bouncing with excitement, "Can we get it out now? PLEASE?" Ty said: "Sure, Buddy. I'll go get some thread and we'll take it out."

Ty tied the thread around the loose tooth and pulled, it didn't work. He tried again, and got the back part of the tooth detached from the gums, it started bleeding. It was hurting CT, who was suddenly starting to have second thoughts about his hasty wish to have the tooth instantly removed. He asked if he could wait and just let the tooth fall out on its own.

I said no. "It's so loose now, it will probably fall out while you're asleep and you'll end up swallowing it. Or even if it doesn't, it could get some bacteria underneath it and get infected." CT tried really hard to find a way to put it off, but finally he said: "Well, can we just use some tweezers and pull it out?" I went and got the tweezers, handed them to Ty, and after a few tries, CT's first loose tooth came out.

He was ecstatic, despite the bleeding. He held a towel against the bleeding hole that once housed his tooth, and stared in amazement at the little white piece of his smile that had just come out. I took a picture, and then we got the tooth all ready for the Tooth Fairy's visit. He got a dollar out of the deal, so that's pretty awesome, right? (It's WAY more than I ever got from the Tooth Fairy, that's for sure!)

Either way, it was a pretty big milestone, and CT is super excited about it. It's just weird for me to think about. I mean, when did my son get old enough to start losing his baby teeth? Sigh...he's growing up so fast. It really doesn't seem fair sometimes, but I am very proud of him. And I'm very excited for him in reaching this milestone. I remember the first loose tooth I ever had, and I was just as excited about it as CT is about his. It's a big freaking deal.


Yep. The first of the baby teeth has officially left the building. Just watch, before you know it, those little chompers will be falling out left, right, and center. Let's just hope the permanent ones will come in nice and straight. Please? PLEASE?!?!?

8 comments:

  1. Way more than I got from the tooth fairy too, but I suppose you have to adjust for inflation in these matters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan: I know, right? I guess even the Tooth Fairy is subject to these kinds of economical changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Caden on his dental milestone AND his superawesome rocketship shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicki: Yes, the rocketship shirt definitely finished off the awesomeness of the day's events. He loves those PJ's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I remember my kids losing their first teeth. it soon became a lucrative little earner with the tooth fairy making regular visits.

    Just wait until he starts losing the molars, in our house they cost double lol (double teeth)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to get fifty-cent pieces. Except I didn't put the teeth under a pillow. My mom said the tooth fairy would be afraid of waking me up and instead my brother and I put our teeth in a glass of water on the kitchen windowsill. What a considerate tooth fairy I had.

    And if my parents were yanking a tooth out of my head, with blood and stuff, I think I would want more than just a dollar. We're talking three figures - but I would let them sign a release of liability form afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mynx: Yes, I would imagine that the Tooth Fairy will be making regular visits to our house as well soon enough. Double for molars? Nice. :)

    Doug: That was indeed very thoughtful of your Tooth Fairy to worry about waking you up. My Tooth Fairy wasn't so concerned about that, but I don't remember ever being woken up by her.

    Three figures? I'd call that a little over the top, even with the blood. Luckily our son was happy with the dollar he got, and the new level of coolness that he gained among his peers in joining the "Toothless Brigade". :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to volunteer the fact that I lost my last tooth when I was fifteen years old.

    Don't judge me.

    Some of us just take our time. I can't believe he wanted to just have it out. I mean...ick.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)