Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gone Too Soon...

Tonight I witnessed a true tragedy. I was doing the dishes--loading the dishwasher-- and then...and then...

*Sob* I can't go on...Give me a moment...

I guess I need to back up. Here, near my home, there is a wonderful grocercy store that has the best bakery in the universe. Seriously, they're second only to my grandmother. They make the best breads, rolls, cookies and...cake.

The other night, at my request, Ty brought home one of their single layer chocolate cakes. (It's a weakness, I know. But it's such a very, VERY enjoyable weakness.) We've been thoroughly enjoying this cake all week. Today, when Ty left for work, there was one slice of it left. It was sitting in its protective plastic dome, looking oh so tempting and delicious.

This afternoon, when I was loading the dishwasher, I needed to move this precious piece of cake to a newer, secure location so I could clean the counter top underneath it.

I know it was unwise, I know I should have been more careful, I just...thought the lid was on. I swear!

Anyway, I picked it up by its plastic dome, but the lid wasn't securely on so the cake it...it...well it fell into the dishwasher.

In. To. The. Dishwasher.

Here's the crime scene photo that I took. (I warn you, the picture you're about to see is extremely graphic.)

Now's your chance to turn away.

Seriously, once you see it, you won't be able to forget it.

Are you sure?

Okay then...



OH THE HUMANITY!!! Horrible, isn't it? I did try to warn you.

Such a waste of perfectly, divinely wonderful cake. Do you have any idea how many Raisinets I've had to eat to get over this horrific trauma? I think I've overdosed.

Sigh...Rest in Peace CoCo the Chocolate Cake Slice. You will be missed.

13 comments:

  1. You named the cake slice? That's a nice touch :)

    Of course, if this was one of those gross commercials that we talked about before, you would have dove right in to the dish rack and ate it anyway...if you really loved the cake.

    There is something tragic about losing some tasty food like that, especially when it's the last piece. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan: Yeah, I thought naming it would be an appropriate tribute. :)

    As much as I love cake, I don't love it enough to dive into a dishwasher full of dirty dishes in order to eat it. Blech.

    No, it's just better for everyone that I let it go and move forward. Sigh...It's still so tragic though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

    Picture me on my knees asking the heavens WHY, CAKE GODS, WHY!?!?!

    Maybe picture some pouring rain, too. You know. For ambiance.



    Sigh. I am truly sorry for your cakeloss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should write a eulogy for CoCo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't look like it really touched anything, except the side of a glass. How bad could that be? Us single guys would have said a choice word and ate it anyway, especially with as good as that cake looks. Now I have to go down and get a chocolate cupcake out of the vending machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still looks fine to me. I mean it's barely touching a glass that looks somewhat clean. At least 4/5ths of that cake didn't touch anything.

    Rest in peace, Coco. You had a mild sprain, maybe a broken arm, and Candice pulled the plug. So sad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicki: Yes. Yes it is very, very sad. (I love the dramatic picture you painted, by the way. Very effective, and quite appropriate for the occasion.)

    Thanks for the condolences. I'm sure CoCo appreciates it...wherever she is...

    Tyler: A Eugoogoly? What's a Eugoogoly? ;)

    George: Yeah, that's the difference between guys and girls. :)

    PS: Enjoy your cupcake.

    Charlie: Oh come on! Be fair! That was a cup that my daughter had used earlier in the day as a wierd type of shoe/pegleg. It was definitely dirty enough to contaminate a hapless piece of cake, so far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter's shoe/pegleg? Okay...that changes things slightly and is also hilarious._

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with the men on this one. I guess I'm usually with the men. I mean...oh, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie: I'm glad we see eye to eye. And yes, it was hilarious watching her try to tromp around with that thing on her foot. Ah toddlers, never a dull moment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brent: I get what you're saying...I think... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, this makes me question the existence of a higher power

    ReplyDelete
  13. J.LittleJohn: It's hard to have faith when something so tragic happens, but we must move forward as best we can. I think CoCo would have wanted it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)