Tonight, after spending the evening with my family at my parent's house, Ty and I were starting to get ready to go home so we could get the kids ready for bed.
AJ was playing a sort of hide-and-seek game in Mom's coat closet with my brother, MC. In the kaffuffle of trying to get ready to leave, I missed seeing exactly how everything unfolded, but the next thing I knew, AJ was crying. Not in that fussy, whiney, "I'm just tired and crabby" kind of way. She was hurt. Badly.
I rescued her and found out that while AJ was hiding in the coat closet with her uncle and one of her cousins, a slightly older cousin had started pushing on the door, trying to close it. When it wouldn't close, he pushed harder.
Little did anyone know that AJ's tiny little fingers were stuck in the door frame, next to the hinges, preventing the door from closing all the way.
While she wailed in my arms, I looked at her fingers, three of them had been severely smashed by that door. There a deep crease running along them where the corner of the door had practically folded them in on themselves. She was hysterical, and in a lot of pain. I held her, rocked her, did everything in my power to console her, but she would just get all worked up and start crying even harder.
My mom got her a little sippy cup of water, and I sat down in a chair while she buried her face in my neck and cried. All the while, CT was choking back tears watching his little sister suffer so much.
He finally came over and wrapped an arm around AJ, hugging her and talking to her in a soothing voice. She was calming down a little, but when she saw her big brother, she was able to stop crying and listen to him:
"AJ, do you want to sleep with DJ tonight? And my monkey too?" (Just so you know, "DJ" is CT's FAVORITE stuffed animal--a penguin. He can't sleep without it. And here he was, offering it to his little sister without hesitation, just to make her happy.)
At this offer, AJ nodded, took a few shuddering breaths, and drank her water. CT continued talking to her quietly until she was calm enough to allow me to stand up and then we said our goodbyes to everyone and went home.
True to his word, CT brought DJ and his stuffed monkey into AJ's room for her as soon as we got home. AJ, while happy to hold onto DJ and Monkey for a little while, soon decided that she would rather hold on to her own favorite stuffed animals instead.
So CT got DJ and the monkey back, being fully rewarded for his kindness. Not only had he helped his little sister to feel better, he got DJ back as a bonus.
He and AJ are both dreaming happily now. I love those two little chiddlers!
I HATE when kids get hurt...my stomach was twisting for Adelle!! Poor baby! But she's lucky she has such an amazing big brother. I'd say you're one lucky mama to have such sweetie pie kids, but I have a feeling luck has nothing to do with it. It's probably a whole lot of love, kindness, and attention day in and day out. Thanks for sharing, Candice!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth: I know! It's the saddest thing EVER seeing them get hurt! I'm glad she has Caden too though. He's really great to her.
ReplyDeleteI am definitely lucky that my kids are so amazing. :)
I was wincing at the description of her injuries. You've got a little prince there.
ReplyDeleteGeorge: It was pretty sad, amplified by her heartbreaking wails. I like the way you described Caden as a little prince. That's exactly what he is. :)
ReplyDeleteSuper sweet of him. Something similar happened to me when I was little. I remember loosing four of my fingernails for a while. So glad she's okay and has a big brother watching out for her.
ReplyDeleteThis totally wins my Heartwarming Story of the Day award. You should see my ridiculous "Awwwwww!" grin right now. It's like someone just handed me a puppy and told me it rescued a kitten stuck in the tree or something.
ReplyDeleteIn short: ADORABLE.
Charlie: It doesn't look like she's going to lose any fingernails, the door pinched her between her first and second knuckles. Very sad, but Caden rescued her. He's the best. :)
ReplyDeleteNicki: I'm glad you enjoyed it. And by the way, a puppy rescuing a kitten? Does it get any cuter? I think not! (Well, except for anything involving my kids. Let's be honest here...) :)