So...I got a little heavy on you guys in my last post, but I really appreciate all of the kind words that you left in response. Thank you.
Anyway, back to usual ranting that you've learned to tolerate from me...
This first week of school has been a bit crazy, but we got through it. My son started first grade, and his teacher is incredibly nice. However, he has a VERY serious problem with this little, teeny, tiny thing. I think the clinical term is: "Talking during class and distracting everyone around him." Yeah, we're all crossing our fingers that he'll get out of this bad habit and be a model student by the end of the month.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I couldn't even finish typing that sentence without laughing!
Okay, moving on...
Fall Semester is shaping up pretty nicely for me. I think I'm going to like most of my classes, and it also looks as though I just might not HATE my Statistics class. It's a freaking miracle! It also helps that my Statistics teacher understands how intimidating the subject can be, and has made it his mission in life to help students learn the subject as painlessly as possible.
What is my line-up of classes, you wonder? Well...
I'm taking: Psychology of Adolescence, Psychology of Women and Gender, Statistics of Psychology, and Communication Theory. They're shaping up to be good classes so far. Wish me luck!
My family is scheduled to get pictures done tomorrow morning. Yes, that's right, my WHOLE family. My parents, siblings, in-laws (including my younger sister's fiancé), AND the grandkids (my two kids, and my big sister's two kids). It's going to be crazy, but it's time to get it done. We haven't done a big family portrait since long before the first grandchild, (CT) was born. It's been a while, and my mom wants to get new pictures done before my younger brother leaves for a two-year mission to New Zealand next month.
Anyway, we got everyone on board several weeks ago, scheduling for Leesh to take the pictures for us, (She's a fantastic photographer). We coordinated which colors everyone would wear, and everything was ready to go. Then...
Today, as my daughter was taking her afternoon nap, and CT was outside playing with friends, I was doing my Statistics homework. All of the sudden I heard CT's sobbing coming closer and closer and then he pushed through the garage door. He was crying, and holding a paper towel against his bleeding nose.
He's gotten nosebleeds before, so I didn't think much of it at first. And then, right as I was asking him what had happened, I saw it. A huge, red, painful-looking goose-egg protruding from his forehead just above his right eyebrow.
Apparently, he fell off of his bike as he was riding it around a corner. It started wobbling and he lost balance and fell face-first onto the sidewalk. His exact description of the way he landed was: "I went: 'Dah, dah, dah.'" [He said this as he bobbed his hand up and down, drawing a very clear picture of what had happened.]
Yeah, basically he was bouncing along the sidewalk on his face. Poor kid. The right side of his nose showed some bruising as well, which explained the bloody nose.
I took him up to the bathroom and surveyed the extent of the damage. Aside from a small scrape by his elbow and a skinned, bloody knee, the massive bump on his forehead was the worst of his injuries. I made sure he was okay, and then sent him to take a shower and wash off all the blood. (It was all over his face, arms, and clothes.) Nothing to rush to the doctor about, but I still made him stay inside for the rest of the day. He's going to be just fine, just a bit bruised for a few days, (or weeks...)
My question is this: Why did my son have to fall off his bike and visibly maim his face the day before we were supposed to get family pictures taken? My brother leaves in a matter of weeks, and it's VERY hard to get everyone together in once place at one time. We can't postpone this.
I'm going to call this further proof that God has a sense of humor. He really, really does.
Sigh...oh well. At least it wasn't any worse, and he's going to be okay. Plus, Ty and I just figure that the massive goose-egg on CT's face will be excellent proof that he's a perfectly normal, active six-year-old boy. And it will make for a great story later in life, right?
RIGHT?!?!?
Just have him turned at a slight angle so that the goose egg is facing AWAY from the camera. Or, if the pictures are digitally taken, she can edit out the goose egg before she prints the pictures. Simple as pie!
ReplyDeleteChanel: Yeah, I was thinking that either some "creative posing" or digital magic would need to be utilized. We'll see how it goes... :)
ReplyDeleteMurphy's Law of course.
ReplyDeleteI did similar as a child. My big moment as a junior bridesmaid and a few days before managed to break my nose and blacken my eye. Plenty of makeup that day
You have to take the picture with the bruise in full view. Best family picture ever. Seriously. Does anyone really like those contrived, posed, planned, photoshopped pictures better than the fun ones where it shows we are human?
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking you should have taken you big family photo when you were all camping a few weeks ago. Dirt, twigs and all.
Mynx: Yeah, Murphy is one big, fat jerk alright. Oh well. I seem to have bad timing when it comes to pimples, bruises, and bad hair days too. What we should do is NOT plan picture days. Then everything would be perfect and then someone could just pull out a camera. We'd totally put one over on Murphy!
ReplyDeleteBrent: I can agree that the less posed pictures are the most enjoyable, and definitely the most memorable. Plus, they have fun stories to go along with them. :)
Actually, we took an even bigger family photo at the reunion, with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. But it was a lot more casual, as you can imagine. These were just for us.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAA...I mean, I feel really bad for Caden and all, but of course it HAS to happen right before the big photo op! I agree with the others, though-- it's a great story.
ReplyDeleteNicki: There's no getting around it. It IS funny. It's such a ridiculous sort of "Murphy's Law" type of situation, you just have to laugh. We've already gotten the pictures done, and I asked the photographer to just go ahead and leave Caden's bruise in the pictures. Good times, right? :)
ReplyDeleteMy mother tries to get us all together for family pictures every 5 years or so. We're spread out over the eastern half of the US so sometimes it's tough, especially with a brother who doesn't ever want to leave his home in Virginia. Hopefully Caden's injuries won't come through in the picture.
ReplyDeleteGeorge: Geez! My mom has a hard time getting us all together for pictures, and we all live within 15 minutes of each other! I admire your mom's dedication.
ReplyDeleteWe haven't seen the pictures yet, but I would imagine that the mark on his head is pretty visible. Oh well, at least the swelling went down for the most part. He's still a ridiculously handsome little boy, and maybe his injuries can give him more of a rugged, "devil may care" sort of look. :)