Side note: Did you know that your brain cells begin to deteriorate around the age of 30? It's true. And did you also know that physical activity produces chemicals in your brain called neurotrophins that strengthen your brain cells and help keep them healthy? That's also true. So now, in addition to the physical benefits of exercise, you can now add the fact that it's actually good for your brain too. You're welcome.
My son will be taking his "End of Level Evaluation" tomorrow morning. Does it seem a little overkill to anyone but me for a Kindergartener to be having a big end of year exam? He's six years old, he's not trying to get into law school. (Not yet, anyway. Who knows what his interests will be when he grows up?) I'm sure he'll be just fine, but I'm still a little nervous for him. Good luck, Little Guy!
My kitchen explodes on a regular basis. There is some sort of geyser that shoots a regular stream of dishes all over the countertops and in the sink. It doesn't matter how long I spend cleaning it, my kitchen will pretty much always be a mess five minutes later. It can get discouraging sometimes, but what can you do? Laundry and dishes are never, EVER done. It's just a fact of life.
We took the kids to the zoo yesterday. It was our daughter's first time, and she loved it. She LOVES tigers and all other big cats. She got to see a tiger and a leopard up close. She roared at both of them. Then she made friends with a couple of parrots. One of the parrots squawked at her, and she tried to imitate it with this low, guttral sound in the back of her throat. It didn't sound much like the parrot, but it was adorable.
Speaking of adorable, I think it's time I told all of you the truth about my kids. They have magical powers. No, I'm not kidding. Everyone that has ever met my kids--even those that claim to NOT like children--melt like butter in a microwave as soon as they meet my son and my daughter. You can doubt me if you want, but if you ever have the honor of meeting my children, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. You'll be charmed in spite of yourself, just like everyone else.
Last, but not least in this random assortment of jumbled thoughts: I'm going to do a VERY late posting of a picture of eyes. Everyone else was doing it a few weeks ago, and now I think I'm fashionably late enough to do it. So here you go:
Here are some close-ups of my eyes. They're sort of a dark green, with flecks of hazel or something. I've never really been able to nail down one color for them. Maybe y'all will be able to figure it out for me:
And here's a really random picture of one of my eyes right next to one of Ty's. Yeah, I know: BONUS PICTURE!!! You're welcome.
And thus ends the randomness that is this post. Thank you for your patience.
How is a kindergartener evaluated? Do they evaluate a child’s hand-drawn stick figure picture of his family and complain about the weight ratios? Penalize the kid for his poor block building symmetry? Chastise him for calling Mrs Husswick a big poopy head?
ReplyDeleteLove love random :)
ReplyDeleteAnd tigers too
Looks like a grayish green hue to me. My brain cells are doomed.
ReplyDeleteDo they still have the Hogel Zoo there in SLC? That was my first zoo. I actually lived close enough as a kid for my elementary class to walk there for field trips.
ReplyDeletePlus, entropy is a heartless wench.
Drake: That would be how I did it, but no. They just check his progress in numbers, letters, reading, that sort of thing. I personally think he would have ROCKED the stick figure examination if they'd let him do it.
ReplyDeleteMynx: Randomness and tigers, AND random tigers are totally cool. I think I'll try to include them here more often. :)
George: Yeah, grayish green seems pretty accurate for the most part. They can get a warmer hue depending on what colors I'm wearing.
No! Don't let your brain cells be doomed! Fight back and keep them around. ;)
Brent: Yep. Hogle Zoo. They're actually making major changes for a polar bear habitat. Rock on!
I didn't know you originated in Utah! Coolness! I wasn't actually born here but I've lived here since I was 4, so it's not that big of a difference, right?
Born there. Won't say I was raised there. But I visit often to see family and friends.
ReplyDeleteSorry, you get two comments from me because I clicked something too early.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I was going to add something about how I love to visit but wouldn't want to live there again, but the moment has passed and I don't want to be insulting or anything.
Brent: I guess you and I are opposites. You were born here and mostly raised elsewhere. I was born elsewhere and raised here. Fun, and slightly confusing!
ReplyDeleteI'm not insulted. Life in Utah is definitely not for everyone. Tyler and I might actually be moving to a different state once we graduate from college. He's getting his teaching degree and the teaching job market around here SUCKS these days. We'll see. Maybe we'll come invade Colorado. :)
Aw, aren't you guys cute? Did Husband roll his eyes when you asked him to participate in your bloggy foolishness, or is he a good sport?
ReplyDeleteI totally recommend a yoga class. It's been three weeks and I'm still loving it. Plus it's great strength training. (I actually don't know if that's a true. A gay man still totally in the closet told me that before he came out of the closet.)
ReplyDeleteOH! YES! I DID know that. Advanced placement biology. You learn lots.
I remember when they evaluated me. We had to take a test, and they also made us do basic things like jump rope the right way, and see how far we could stretch to touch our toes. Why my inability to bend in half was important, I have no idea. But I hope it has some purpose these days.
This is exactly why I hate dishes. Alright, that's a lie. I don't mind laundry and it's never done. I hate dishes because they gross me out. Plain and simple. But I imagine they multiply quite a bit when you've got a family of four.
Zoos are fun! Did I tell you about the goat that tried to eat my shorts? Or the reason why I'm terrified of flamingos? Zoos...are zoos.
I have heard that before about children, and while I've found a few that I like, none have EVER charmed me enough to think, "I wouldn't mind having one if it was like this." So I remain skeptical. I think there has to be some form of parental instinct for your kids to win someone over. I lack the maternal inclination.
I'm jealous of the shape of your eyes!
I'd also say they are a foresty green. Or maybe a mallard duck feather green. Is that even a shade of green? I don't know.
Tyler has nice eyes. He looks very kind. But I am not jealous of his eyes.
Also, I should win a prize because that comment was EPIC in it's length and the fact that I addressed EVERY SINGLE PART of this post.
ReplyDeleteDoug: To be honest, that particular picture was taken years ago. He didn't even know I was going to post it until I'd already done so. However, he's usually a pretty good sport about my bloggy addiction. :)
ReplyDeleteChanel: You totally win "The Comment of the Post Award." Very well done. :)
I've never heard of "Mallard Duck Feather Green", but I like it. I should totally start using it, despite my personal belief that all ducks and geese are evil. Thank you for the eye-shape compliment, by the way. I've always liked them for that very reason.
Tyler does have nice eyes. They're actually similar in color to mine, but they have a little more gold in them. And he is very kind. A lot more so than I am, some days. ;)
Dishes suck. Plain and simple. Bleh!
Zoos are fun, we actually got a year-long admissions pass so we can go whenever we want. It's a great way to get outside and enjoy the good weather.
Yoga, huh? That could be fun. Maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm feeling adventurous. :)
I've heard a rumor that Austin has a zoo. We go to the San Antonio Zoo once a year. No point in passes.
ReplyDeleteWe're making it a color. "Mallard Duck Feather Green" is officially in the color roster.
Is there anything I can say to advise your husband to stay away from education? It's not a pleasant profession to be in these days.
ReplyDeleteAnd don't think it's because I'm afraid of the competition or anything because I have tenure, and if you haven't heard, I can't be fired. And I only work part time. And I'm greedy. At least that's what Fox News tells me.
Brent: I don't know if he can be dissuaded. He's done substitute teaching and hasn't run away screaming yet. I know I couldn't be a teacher. I'd yell at SO many kids and make them cry. It would be too much drama.
ReplyDeleteNo! You? Greedy? Not possible. :)
And even if you WERE afraid of competition, you'd have nothing to fear from Tyler. He's getting a Social Studies Composite teaching degree. That's stuff like History, Psychology, Political Science, and Geography. You teach English. See? No worries. :)
I din't know there was a "The Comment of the Post Award."
ReplyDeleteSneaky.
Or maybe, "didn't know..." Yep. That works better.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure that exam is ridiculous...but I'd still be worried about it. I mean, it's KINDERGARTEN. How hard could it be? But would they really hold you back if you can't spell "me" or something?
ReplyDeleteI think your eyes are lovely! I vote hazel...but they are foresty green like Chanel said...so.....I'm throwing up my hands on this one.
Doug: Well, to be honest...I kind of just made up that award. But I think I'll keep awarding it to those who prove themselves worthy of the honor. I'll have to make up a graphic for it too...
ReplyDeleteNicki: Yeah, it wasn't so bad, and he did quite well. I don't know if they'd hold someone back, but I imagine that they'd pretty much have to TANK the exam in order for it to happen.
Thanks for the compliment. I don't blame you for giving up. I've had these eyes for almost 29 years and I'm still at a loss trying to name a single color for them.
Beautiful eyes (you and Tyler!). :) Your eyes look blue-ish gray--yours might be that rare "steel" color that you always hear about, but never see. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteAnd how darn cute is it that your little ones have magical powers! :)
Frisky Virgin: Thanks for the compliment. I like our eyes too. :)
ReplyDeleteMy kids really are magical creatures. They're super cute, if I do say so myself. The weirdest thing of all? They both have bright BLUE eyes. How did THAT happen, when both of their parents have NON-blue eyes? I don't know much about genetics, so I can't really explain that one...