Saturday, May 7, 2011

I'm Not Dead...(But I Sure Came Close!)

I've been sick this week. Miserably, horribly, Wish-I-Could-Curl-Up-In-A-Ball-And-Die-Because-Anything-is-Better-Than-This-SICK!!!
I have NO IDEA what I've had. But I think I'm going to have to call it "The Dreaded Green Gomboo of Mucus Lagoon". Pure, unadulterated MISERY!!!
It began on Friday night. It hit me like a Mack truck. I was just sitting there, watching late-night TV with Ty when all of the sudden: "BLAM! You're sick, Be-Otch!" I went to bed, worried but hoping it was just a reaction to staying up so late and that I'd feel better in the morning.

Saturday, I woke up HURTING!!! My head felt like my brain was trying to burst through my skull. My entire body was racked with aching pain. I took some pain killers, and once they kicked in I felt much better, and figured it was a fluke. As the day went on, however, my throat started hurting and swelling up. It was getting more and more difficult to swallow. My sinuses became painfully stuffed up, and even my ears joined in the fun. My voice is sounding gravelly and weak. I'm definitely going to lose it.

Sunday, I felt about the same. However, I took medication in the hopes it was just REALLY bad allergies or something and went about my day. I felt pretty horrible by the end of the night, but I tried to pretend I didn't. My voice is almost completely gone.

Monday morning, I woke up in pain. AGAIN. Head, abs, throat, sinuses, coughing, couldn't breathe through my nose. I took meds again. They only took the edge off of the misery. Voice: Officially gone.

Tuesday was the same, only worse. I was coughing so much Ty told me I needed to go to the doctor. I promised that if it wasn't better by the morning, I would do just that. Still no voice. Blood vessels have burst in my eyes from all the coughing and sinus pressure, making them red and scary-looking.

Wednesday morning, worse. AND, since I was going to the doctor I wanted to make sure that he could make an accurate diagnosis so do you know what I did? I didn't take ANY medication. No pain killers for the head and body aches. No anti-inflammatories for my swollen tonsils, and NO Sudafed for my packed sinuses. By the time I finally got the "Sinus infection + Ear infection" diagnosis and my Amoxicillin prescription, I was all but sobbing with misery. I took all of my meds--including the antibiotic--and after about 30 minutes they all finally kicked in and I was able to feel somewhat human again. Voice, still gone.

Thursday, I actually felt better. Still crappy, and I still had most of the same symptoms, but the fog seemed to be lifting. Voice, mostly gone.
Friday, I feel MUCH better, but still need meds to avoid a few of the more troublesome symptoms. My voice is coming back and I'm no longer turning my innards inside out with coughing. The cough is still there, but more as an annoyance than anything else. My voice is still pretty much gone, but is showing signs of returning in the next few days.
Now, I shall list all of the medications that I have to take in order to function (most of them at the same time):
Mucinex D (Active ingredients include Guaifenesin and Sudafed)
Ibuprofen
Tylenol (Sometimes Excedrin, depending on how bad my headache is)
Saline Solution (Hate using it, but it helps. A LOT! Ty, don't you DARE be smug about this! ;) )
Amoxicillin

So...Lesson learned? Candice is a big, fat whiner that hates being sick and experiences no shame in taking drugs to feel better.

However, I don't care if I seem whiny today. The world needs to know about the Dreaded Green Gomboo of Mucus Lagoon. Only public awareness can help the world avoid a Gomboo epidemic!

Spread the word, people! Only YOU can prevent the spread of the Gomboo!

14 comments:

  1. I was considering leaving you a, "Candice, where have you gone? You can't abandon me!" comment, but you saved me the effort.

    I'm sorry you were sick! Two of my sisters came down with awful colds this week, and Padawan says there's some sort of office disease going around his Nerddom Cubicles. So you are not alone in your misery! I hope you keep feeling better, because you can't take over the world when you're sick. That's irresponsible.

    I had an awful Sinus Infection once, and I felt like I was dying for five days. (And I went to the doctor on the second day!) I would eat anything. The doctor said that the infection wouldn't have been so bad, but I probably ignored the first symptoms until it got bad and that caused my immune system to crash so I picked up some sort of Viral Infection on the way. You probably adopted the ear infection the same way.

    No more sinus infections! Take...um...vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanel: It was SUCH a relief on Thursday when I woke up feeling crappy, but more like a person than a reanimated corpse. Blech! I agree, NO MORE SINUS INFECTIONS!!! Using saline nasal spray has actually been a BIG help with this one. (Tyler was nagging me about using it all week, and now that it's worked and I've actually admitted it, I'm sure I'll NEVER hear the end of it!) Hopefully I'll be done with this crap by next week. Then my dastardly plot for World Domination can recommence! BwaHaHaHa!!! *Begins an uncontrollable fit of coughing*

    Ugh, this stuff really does go around ridiculously fast. Nerd Gomboo does NOT sound fun. I hope Padawan can avoid it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctor suggested cleaning out your sinuses with saline three times a week...

    But shooting stuff up one nostril and watching it shoot out of the other nostril really grosses me out...

    So I'll just NOT do that.

    Don't worry. I'm sure Tyler won't be TOO ostentatious in his glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He hasn't been too smug, but the weekend isn't over yet!

    I hate using saline too, but it really helps a lot. I got desperate enough this time around that I did it despite myself. Maybe next time I can avoid most of the misery by starting treatment early on rather than waiting until I'm half dead to take care of the problem. Yeah, I can be kinda stubborn like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doesn't sound fun at all. However your bout of Gomboo sounds suspiciously like the Fijian Plague I got a few years back. I'll spare you all the gory details. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Empress: Thanks! Fijian Plague doesn't sound fun at all! I'm getting better. Let's just hope the trend continues in that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you sure it wasn't Mono? "Sinus infection + Ear infection" sounds like a made-up disease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doug: You'll accept "Green Gomboo of Mucus Lagoon" but you don't buy "sinus infection + ear infection"? What kind of diseases have you been exposed to? Now I'm kinda worried...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending you virtual chicken soup...but it'll probably arrive cold and you're feeling better than you were...so I'll have to send it via time machine. I hope you're ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicki: Virtual chicken soup sent via time machine is my absolute favorite! Sadly, very few people are willing to put in the effort to make it anymore. Sigh...

    Thanks though, I am feeling much better today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to do it regularly?

    Yick!

    I'd have to be a lot closer to dead than halfway there to get me to do that!

    How can you even do it? Do you have to psych yourself up for it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chanel: No. I won't do it unless I feel like I'm starting to get sick. And yes, I do have to psych myself up to do it. It's unpleasant and gross but I just remind myself how much better I will feel, and I force myself to get it over with.

    Besides, once most of the congestion is cleared up, I can just use it like a regular nose spray for maintenance so things don't get that bad again. Just short sprays on either side. It's not that bad when you use it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I notice you didn't deny the mono accusation...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doug: Pffft!!! Mono? Sorry to disappoint you, but no. No mono this time around, but if I ever DO contract that particular illness, I'll be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)