Tuesday, November 23, 2010

There's a Storm a-Comin', and Inspiration From a 5-Year-Old...

Apparently, Utahns need to duck and cover for a few days. Starting tonight, and going all the way through (at least) tomorrow morning, there will be snow and SUPER freezing cold temperatures. We've been advised to stay off the roads, as they will be icy and the blinding snowstorm won't do much to help the situation either. I'm pretty sure that we haven't had a storm like this in a couple of years. (Don't quote me on that, I'm not a freaking meteorologist.) All I can say is that our license plates are pretty accurate, but they don't tell the whole story. "Ski Utah, The Greatest Snow on Earth!" (What they left out was: "Hope you can get here without driving, because between our snowstorms and CRAPPY drivers, you may not live to see the slopes!)

In other news, my son is officially the coolest kid EVER. We have a white board hanging with magnets onto the side of our fridge. Just yesterday morning, I was making myself some toast and looked up to see this message:
For those who may not be fluent in reading 5-year-old, it says: Shonomerse Go Mom Caden

Can't figure out what that first word means? Try breaking it up: Sho No Merse. Then fix a few letters: "Show No Mercy".

No, I will not be picking too much on my son's spelling until he's at least 7 years old. He's still learning how to read, and he's doing quite well. I'm just so often impressed by his ability to sound out the words he wants to write, and often he comes pretty close.

This little message meant the world to me at that moment, because right now we are in the "wrap up stages" of Fall semester. I have 2 big papers to write for my Communications classes, along with a 10-15 page formal report to put together for my Technical writing class. On top of that, I had two tests coming up for my Math class and a BIG group project to figure out and get done for my Communications class. I love that my son gave me some encouragement, and I am going to take his advice to heart.

I WILL "Show No Mercy"!!!

--Final Papers: Prepare to get the ever-loving CRAP written out of you!!!

--Formal Report: You'd better run and hide, cuz here I come!

--Math Tests: You suck! I WILL prevail!!!

--Group Project: You're almost done, and THEN what are you gonna do with yourself? HA!

Then, once the battle is over, I plan to make myself a LARGE batch of my (famously fabulous) chocolate chip cookie dough, and bury myself in as many mindless novels as I can get my hands on and devour them greedily until January.
Bring it on. I'm ready!

14 comments:

  1. I didn't realize until I read that sign that I am, apparently, fluent in reading 5 year old. I don't know how I became fluent since I don't have children and don't spend time around any children. Hidden talent! Yay me!

    Anyway, back to actually commenting on what you've just written...it's adorable that he gave you a message. Finals better watch their backs! You're going to PWN!!!! them. I am especially rooting for you to conquer the evil math test. They suck. (Do you think fractions are just useless? I think they are outside of baking.)

    Speaking of baking...famously fabulous chocolate chip cookie dough? Sounds divine. Send me some???? I love eating raw cookie dough almost as much as I love eating half-cooked, half raw cookies hot from the oven. (I don't believe in cooking cookie dough completely: it ruins the flavor.)

    Have fun!(I mean, after it's all over. I know it's not going to be fun in the meantime. I'm not that silly.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math DOES suck, A LOT!!! It is my age-old enemy. However, the good news is: This is my LAST math class. I will do everything in my power to make sure I pass this class, so I can turn my back on Math, never to look at it again (if I can help it.) And yes, fractions suck and are pretty useless outside of cooking.

    I would love to send you some cookie dough, but I'm not sure it would survive the trip...maybe I can e-mail you the recipe? Let me know.

    I am SOOO impressed that you can read 5-year-old. It must be the kind of thing that some people are just born with. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome and inspiring sentiment! You have one amazing 5 year old!! Go Candice : )

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo hoo, thats the attitude girl. Pity you can't tuck the whiteboard in your pocket when you go.

    Good luck with everything. I'm certain you will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that your five-year-old says "Show no mercy!" I would LOVE a Shonomerse pep talk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Empress: Thank you for the encouragement. And yes, he is a pretty amazing kid. He surprises me all the time. :)

    Mynx: I took the picture with my Blackberry, so I can carry the message around with me. It's good to know you believe in me, I'm sure it will be fine too. I just need to buckle down and get things done.

    Nicki: My 5-year old often says little words and phrases that no one would ever expect a kid his age to say. He's a giggle a minute. Love him! Oh, and I'd be happy to send you a copy of that picture if you ever feel like you need a little "shonomerse pep talk"!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet support system you have! That is adorable! Snow already? We had like three blizzards in Maryland last year and I'm hoping we don't repeat such things this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jules: He really is a sweet kid. I am always so glad and grateful to have him.

    Yes. Snow. It's insane! The storm wasn't as bad as was predicted, at least it didn't last all that long. But it has been COLD and it's snowing again today. Oh well. It is wintertime, afterall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How the hell can a 5-year-old write that? And how does he know the word ‘mercy’! You must be one amazing parent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drake: LOL! I'm not sure how he keeps learning all these things so fast, he's always been like that though. He was talking quite clearly at 18 months and has been wowing us ever since. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that message, it's so cool and actually very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marsy: Thanks! I thought it was rather clever, myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, cute post. SHOW NO MERCY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chicago Blogger: Thanks. I have indeed shown no mercy to my adversaries!

    PS: I LOVE Chicago! Say hi to the Art Institute for me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very important to me. Please stay online and your comments will be answered in the order received. :)